Interesting speed check results

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Trevor Barton, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    JohnB wrote:

    > I'd watch where you put your feet.
    >
    > John B

    One in each cheek like I seem to be doing recently?

  2. On 18 Feb 2005 00:34:26 -0800, LSMike wrote:

    > James Annan wrote:
    >
    >> Why not just accept that 10 deaths a day is a price well worth paying

    >> for our freedom to travel? Remember that a substantial proportion of
    >> those are just numpties wrapping themselves round trees, too.
    >>

    > Doesn't anyone think that James might be a little tongue in cheek?

    Exactly, there was a little irony that I thought passed JohnB completely
    by. Sorry if my inference was incorrect.

    I don't know if 10 deaths a day is a price worth paying but, if most of
    them are laddish louts, who cares? There are far more serious things to get
    worked up about.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:15:29 +0000, JohnB wrote:

    > uk.tosspot (aka uk.transport) is the pit where this discussion regularly
    > gets aired.
    > Many of its inhabitants would seem to accept an even higher number of
    > fatalities rather than accept any curbs on their driving behaviour.

    Yes, I knew that already, thank you.

    >> I can't understand the rudeness of your comment to James.

    > It was NOT a rude comment to James. I suggest you read his post.
    > James is a respected poster on this group, and unless I am mistaken
    > James was being a little tongue in cheek, as Mike also noted.

    I suppose saying that his friends are on uk.tosspot was tongue in cheek
    too, was it?

    > I'd watch where you put your feet.

    I'd watch where you put your tongue.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:24:31 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >> I can't understand the rudeness of your comment to James.

    > uk.tosspot = uk.transport in this world. Does that make it less rude in
    > your eyes?

    Dear Jon,

    Come on, I've been "in this world" long enough to know that, as you well
    know.

    Anyway, it doesn't.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:15:29 +0000, JohnB wrote:
    >
    > > uk.tosspot (aka uk.transport) is the pit where this discussion regularly
    > > gets aired.
    > > Many of its inhabitants would seem to accept an even higher number of
    > > fatalities rather than accept any curbs on their driving behaviour.

    > Yes, I knew that already, thank you.

    Your welcome anyway.

    > >> I can't understand the rudeness of your comment to James.

    > > It was NOT a rude comment to James. I suggest you read his post.
    > > James is a respected poster on this group, and unless I am mistaken
    > > James was being a little tongue in cheek, as Mike also noted.

    > I suppose saying that his friends are on uk.tosspot was tongue in cheek
    > too, was it?

    Yes. Firmly.

    > > I'd watch where you put your feet.

    > I'd watch where you put your tongue.

    Michael, some friendly advice - have you ever considered an
    Interpersonal Skills Course?

    John B

  6. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:43:37 +0000, JohnB wrote:

    > Michael, some friendly advice - have you ever considered an
    > Interpersonal Skills Course?

    If it's the same one you've been on, no.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  7. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:01:09 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:43:37 +0000, JohnB wrote:
    >

    >> Michael, some friendly advice - have you ever considered an
    >> Interpersonal Skills Course?
    >>

    >If it's the same one you've been on, no.

    Bloody hell, guys, just bash each other with your handlebar bags and
    be done with it. Then go for a ride or something!

    --
    Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

  8. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:06:34 +0000, Richard Bates wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:01:09 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:43:37 +0000, JohnB wrote:
    >>

    >>> Michael, some friendly advice - have you ever considered an
    >>> Interpersonal Skills Course?
    >>>

    >>If it's the same one you've been on, no.

    > Bloody hell, guys, just bash each other with your handlebar bags and
    > be done with it. Then go for a ride or something!

    LOL. I've just looked at JohnB's posting history and realised he probably
    lives quite close to me so I might bump into him on a Hampshire lane. I'd
    better be careful!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  9. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:24:17 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Do you honestly believe it's possible to have any kind of mechanised
    >transport system without fatalities?

    Do you honestly believe it's impossible to have one without three and
    a half thousand fatalities, thirty-five thousand serious injuries,
    over a quarter of a million less serious injuries and five million
    recorded crashes every year?

    As the good Dr Bob says, drivers may not want to crash, but all the
    evidence suggests that they don't want it to a wholly inadequate
    degree.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

  10. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:06:34 +0000, Richard Bates wrote:
    >

    > > Bloody hell, guys, just bash each other with your handlebar bags and
    > > be done with it. Then go for a ride or something!

    > LOL. I've just looked at JohnB's posting history and realised he probably
    > lives quite close to me so I might bump into him on a Hampshire lane. I'd
    > better be careful!

    You're not that miserable sod who never waves back are you ;-)

    John B

  11. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > Come on, I've been "in this world" long enough to know that, as you well
    > know.

    That's what I thought, but wanted to double check.

    > Anyway, it doesn't.

    Really? "Why not just accept that 10 deaths a day is a price well worth
    paying for our freedom to travel?" strikes me as a very uk.tosspot
    statement. Especially the qualifier which follows which basically says
    "It's OK, cos it's all the really bad drivers (unlike me) who are
    dying"! I don't believe that 10 deaths _per day_ is a small price to pay
    for an overused transport system. That is a terrifying number of people,
    especially to someone who's close circle of friends and relatives is not
    much more than 10.

    In all I'm with John on this one.

    Jon

  12. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > I don't know if 10 deaths a day is a price worth paying but, if most of
    > them are laddish louts, who cares? There are far more serious things to get
    > worked up about.

    Yes. Such as the half of them that are killed by the "laddish louts"
    without fitting into that group themselves?

    Sadly it's rare that a car crash or "accident" doesn't involve anyone
    but the driver.

    Jon

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  14. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:54:16 +0000, JohnB wrote:

    >> LOL. I've just looked at JohnB's posting history and realised he probably
    >> lives quite close to me so I might bump into him on a Hampshire lane. I'd
    >> better be careful!

    > You're not that miserable sod who never waves back are you ;-)
    >
    > John B

    No, I always try to wave. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm
    not a miserable sod ;-)

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  15. dkahn400 wrote:

    > Use comic American gangster rap accent and say, "If you can't do the
    > time, don't do the crime."

    Bizarrely, this is painted on a wall in the car park of my local Homebase.
    It's not the sort of thought I imagine occurring to the local minipikeys,
    but there you go.

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)