Interesting Training Runs Doug...

Globaldisc wrote:

> Doug lives "Upstate" (the region of this news story in New York State).

Many years back I was offered promotion, raise and a parcel of hookers to work in the Binghamton
area. It took me all of ten seconds to politely decline.
>
> Don't worry....I won't turn you in to the Authorities....

Whew!
>
> http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=1162707

The two hour drive is tough in the winter and I change in the car. Good catch!

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

Hello,

Not sure if you were referring to me or not since I've posted a couple of messages saying I'm
training in upstate NY. I doesn't matter, I'll reply anyway.

I'm training in Utica, NY which is about 100 miles north of Binghamton and is upstate. Binghamton
is just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border so it isn't upstate, it's in the southernmost
part of NY.

I realize it was a joke but I wanted to comment on the Geography anyway. It's too cold up here for
me to be running in the nude :).

Later,

Doug Gilliam (The Other Doug)

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Globaldisc wrote:
>
> > Doug lives "Upstate" (the region of this news story in New York State).
>
> Many years back I was offered promotion, raise and a parcel of hookers to work in the Binghamton
> area. It took me all of ten seconds to politely decline.
> >
> > Don't worry....I won't turn you in to the Authorities....
>
> Whew!
> >
> > http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=1162707
>
> The two hour drive is tough in the winter and I change in the car. Good catch!
>
>
> --
> Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

Doug Gilliam wrote:

>
> I'm training in Utica, NY which is about 100 miles north of Binghamton and is upstate. Binghamton
> is just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border so it isn't upstate, it's in the southernmost
> part of NY.
>

I'm glad to see there's at least one New York state resident that knows geography :) I used to work
at a scout camp in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, PA), but the kids were from Longg Island and kept
referring to it as "upstate" New York. But I do have friends that live in Massena (sp?) or someplace
close by, which I think most would consider upstate NY.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Doug Gilliam wrote:

> I'm training in Utica, NY which is about 100 miles north of Binghamton and is upstate.

A nice drive up rt 12. :)

> Binghamton is just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border so it isn't upstate, it's in the
> southernmost part of NY.

The most southern of the western part of the state? :) Anything from Kingston(the first Capital of
NY) is more south then Binghamton.

> I realize it was a joke but I wanted to comment on the Geography anyway. It's too cold up here for
> me to be running in the nude :).

Drive to Ithaca and run with the Cornell coeds - you will not notice the cold and they love guys in
the nude. :)

--

Dot wrote:

> I'm glad to see there's at least one New York state resident that knows geography :)

Amen! I think NY'ers are geography challenged. If you live in NYC anything north of the Bronx is
Upstate. Places like Plattsburg are on another planet or very upstate.

Donovan/Andrew, as city boys what do you consider upstate?

If you want to really get a pissing contest going ask where the Catskill mountains start and
then duck.

But I do have friends that live in Massena (sp?) or
> someplace close by, which I think most would consider upstate NY.

Massena was annexed by Canada. :)

--

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Doug Gilliam wrote:
>
>
> > I'm training in Utica, NY which is about 100 miles north of Binghamton
and
> > is upstate.
>
> A nice drive up rt 12. :)
>

Yes, I've driven it many times over the years considering that I'm from the south and have been
visiting this area since I met my wife here while in the Air Force in Rome in '72. I just moved back
here from the Atlanta area in July after living out of state since '77.

I really like it here except for the weather and it doesn't bother me as much as it does
most people.

Later,

Doug Gilliam

>
>
> > Binghamton is just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border so it isn't upstate, it's in the
> > southernmost part of NY.
>
> The most southern of the western part of the state? :) Anything from Kingston(the first Capital of
> NY) is more south then Binghamton.
>
>
>
> > I realize it was a joke but I wanted to comment on the Geography anyway. It's too cold up here
> > for me to be running in the nude :).
>
> Drive to Ithaca and run with the Cornell coeds - you will not notice the cold and they love guys
> in the nude. :)
>
>
>
> --
> Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

Doug Gilliam wrote:

> Yes, I've driven it many times over the years considering that I'm from the south and have been
> visiting this area since I met my wife here while in the Air Force in Rome in '72.

Small world. I did a short AF stint in Rome also but in 66 or 67. It wasn't exciting enough to leave
a permanent mental time stamp. ;)

I used to drive up and over and do some the Finger Lakes runner's Runners club trail races. If
you're not familiar see:

http://ceeserver.cee.cornell.edu/~flrc/flrc.html

--