Interesting twist on seat cluster

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:16:36 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Nov 20, 2:32 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> now I have to look through a lot of old bicycles to see if
>> that was popular before 1900.

>Some traps are deliciously set with certain game in mind. --D-y

Dear D,

Well, that didn't take long, it you'r willing to settle for a thumb
screw instead of a pinch bolt in front of the seat post:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10308277

They don't come much earlier than Starley's 1885 Rover. The thumb
screw that holds the Rover's seat post is clearer in Sharp's drawing
on page 283:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0c...thor:sharp&as_brr=1&ei=t2JDR_3MF6butAOg_-3jBg

Even clearer is this 1890's German version of the Rover:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/crazyguyonabike/docs/00/00/18/89/small/Filme_002.jpg?v=u

But the rear pinch-bolt for the seat post appeared at the same time as
the Rover, as shown by this 1885 full-suspension mountain bike:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10217772&wwwflag=2&imagepos=112

Cheers,

Carl Fogel