Interesting View of Low-Carb

Martha Gallagher

Guest
There was an article in yesterday's Washington Post about the resurgence
of sandwich shops among the more trendy lunch time offerings in the city.
One woman was speaking of the waning of low carb's popularity. But, what
was interesting was that she referred to it as a diet which was heavy on
the salad and that she felt she needed a more substantial meal to keep her
going.

Now, of course, she was missing the point that with low carb you should be
having adequate protein and fats, which make for a very satisfying lunch.
But, at least somehow she'd gotten the message that low carb isn't the no
vegetables diet that some people seem to think it is. So, maybe we're at
least starting to get people to understand what low carb is all about.

Martha

--
"ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
Revek - ASDLC

Travis Newbury wrote:

> 280/195/170 low carb for 2 years in January

You seem to have done well too, Travis. What are your diet secrets,
strategies and methods?

doug

says...
> [...]

> years I have missed maybe 25 days. I get home, change clothes, sit on
> the bike and peddle while watching Fox news or Sponge Bob depending if
> my 9 year old daughter is in the room. (Sometimes it is hard to tell
> which I am watching))
>
> My diet has evolved to the point where I don't eat grain products,
> starchy vegies, and most fruit (well fruit in moderation but I am very
> selective) For me, this way of life is simple. I do not miss anything
> I cut out.
>
> Now I am addicted to lo-carb ice cream and have several bowls a week,
> but even with that I maintain a nice purple keto stick. I think the
> thing I am most proud of is I have not cheated. _EVER_. Not once in
> almost 2 years. Now low-carb is such a way of life I don't even think
> about it any more. Cheating is not an option because the way I eat is a
> life style, there is no cheating.
>
> For example today at lunch, I got a Chicken breast with Swiss cheese
> melted on it and 3 eggrolls. When I sat down I broke the eggrolls and
> scooped out the vegies in the middle and ate them leaving the shells on
> the side of my plate. One of my co-workers looked a me and said "Man
> you really are disciplined with your diet aren't you" I told her I am
> not on a diet. If I go somewhere where here is nothing low carb, then I
> simply don't eat. I will hit a quicki mart on the way home and slam a
> slim jim.
>
> In about another 25 pounds I will evaluate what I look like and decide
> if I am done. I am not on any time schedule and am in no rush to lose
> the weight. It will come off when it comes off. When I reach my goal
> weight I will probably add more fruits or an occasional baked potato,
> but I will never be off the low-carb lifestyle.
>
> I have gone from a 48-50 pants to 36-38 depending on the cut. (I still
> have my Fat Belt it wraps almost to the middle of my back) I now wear
> medium or large shirts rather than 2XL or 3XL. My hands feel thin to
> me. I am wearing 2 wedding bands. My original (I was 170 when I got
> married) and on my index finger, the fat wedding band I bough when I
> could no longer wear my original one.
>
> Here are a few GREAT things about losing the weight.
>
> 1: Completely off Acupril (PB medicine)
> 2: I look great in clothes and women hit on me again. (The wife is not
> too happy about that one)
> 3: My wife says it is like having sex with a stranger.
> 4: I have gained several inches in a critical part of my body <wink...
> wink> (well the length has not increased, but he effective range is
> greater...)
> 5: I don't have to have the seat in my car all the way back so my
> stomach doesn't hit the steering wheel.
> 6: I like to go out in public again.
> 7: I like looking in the mirror again.
>

> And best of all, I feel really really good! No wait, I feel AWESOME!
> And I am very proud of myself. Because I did it (well doing it) I beat

GREAT story, Travis -- couldn't snip a WORD of it! You are a testament
to the low-carb way of eating! I haven't lost as much, but I feel much
the same way about the wonderful, POSITIVE, changes in my health and
overall confidence and well-being!

--
Saffire
205/147/125 - 5'1.5"

Travis, that is a great inspiration. It seems you are the "person I've
been looking for" - an actual example of somebody who just used low-carb
and a reasonable amount of exercise to lose weight - a *real* amount of
weight to where you are more-or-less at normal weight *without* counting
calories.

So it really *is* possible.

Can you talk some more about what you eat every day. How many calories
do you figure you might be eating? How about carb totals?

Thanks,

doug

"Travis Newbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]

> married) and on my index finger, the fat wedding band I bough when I
> could no longer wear my original one.
>
> Here are a few GREAT things about losing the weight.
>
> 1: Completely off Acupril (PB medicine)
> 2: I look great in clothes and women hit on me again. (The wife is not
> too happy about that one)
> 3: My wife says it is like having sex with a stranger.
> 4: I have gained several inches in a critical part of my body <wink...
> wink> (well the length has not increased, but he effective range is
> greater...)
> 5: I don't have to have the seat in my car all the way back so my
> stomach doesn't hit the steering wheel.
> 6: I like to go out in public again.
> 7: I like looking in the mirror again.
>

> And best of all, I feel really really good! No wait, I feel AWESOME!
> And I am very proud of myself. Because I did it (well doing it) I beat

Way to go, Travis! I can identify with a lot of what you said. That $100
was the least of what you won.

I have challenged people uip to 20 years younger than me to a footrace.
Nobody yet has taken me up on it, and I'm not bluffing. I'll beat them.
They know it. They've seen me dance all night. And I smoke.

If I could realize one wish, it would be to show the USDA that there IS a
cure for the so-called national "obesity crisis". But I doubt they'd listen
to me.

"Doug Lerner" <[email protected]> pí¨e v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>
>> 280/195/170 low carb for 2 years in January

> You seem to have done well too, Travis. What are your diet secrets,
> strategies and methods?

Think about starches and sugars as poisons. That always helped me :)

Mirek

Doug Lerner wrote:
|| Travis, that is a great inspiration. It seems you are the "person
|| I've been looking for" - an actual example of somebody who just used
|| low-carb and a reasonable amount of exercise to lose weight - a
|| *real* amount of weight to where you are more-or-less at normal
|| weight *without* counting calories.
|| So it really *is* possible.

Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were looking for
is beyond me, as there are several in this group posting everyday (or most
days).

|| Can you talk some more about what you eat every day. How many
|| calories
|| do you figure you might be eating? How about carb totals?
|| Thanks,
|| doug
||| GREAT story, Travis -- couldn't snip a WORD of it! You are a
||| testament to the low-carb way of eating! I haven't lost as much,
||| but I feel much the same way about the wonderful, POSITIVE, changes
||| in my health and overall confidence and well-being!

> Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
> untypical.

I completely agree. I have just recently found this group and
rummaging through the archives will supply you with a ton of success
examples.

Prior to these groups I worked with e-diets.com and the forums there.
They are similar to another service I have seen here (which I have
since joined) called http://www.fitday.com. While not at sophisticated
as e-diets, they have one big advantage, they are free.

I think the support you get from a forum (be it this one or another) is
monumental in helping you achieve your goals.

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> Doug Lerner wrote:
> || Travis, that is a great inspiration. It seems you are the "person
> || I've been looking for" - an actual example of somebody who just used
> || low-carb and a reasonable amount of exercise to lose weight - a
> || *real* amount of weight to where you are more-or-less at normal
> || weight *without* counting calories.
> || So it really *is* possible.

> Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
> untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were looking for
> is beyond me, as there are several in this group posting everyday (or most
> days).

S'okay, Roger. He really did tell a good story where the rest of us are
sharing ours in snippets. Plus the part about never cheating is truly
awe-inspiring. Even more awe-inspiring is the incredible stamina of
someone who can actually stand to watch Spongebob Squarepants.

Congrats to you, Travis, and welcome to the Former Fat Guys Club and its
many membership benefits. At my age, I don't exactly get women hitting on
me but one of my wife's sisters (the Odd One) patted me on the butt and
said, "Nice!" ;-)

Dan
325/193/190
Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

==========
Even more awe-inspiring is the incredible stamina of
someone who can actually stand to watch Spongebob Squarepants.
==========

It's a gift....

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Lerner wrote:
> || Travis, that is a great inspiration. It seems you are the "person
> || I've been looking for" - an actual example of somebody who just used
> || low-carb and a reasonable amount of exercise to lose weight - a
> || *real* amount of weight to where you are more-or-less at normal
> || weight *without* counting calories.
> || So it really *is* possible.
>
> Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
> untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were looking

for
> is beyond me, as there are several in this group posting everyday (or most
> days).

Yeah. I've spent a little time answering to Doug's posts. Most did not
get a response back. I guess my story wasn't good enough because I didn't
lose a *real* amount of weight. I remember a few others doing the same
thing. I wish Doug would have told me earlier that I was wasting my time.
Travis, like Roger said, this is not to belittle your accomplishment or the
time spent writing your story. It is very good and inspirational and I hope
other newcomers can benefit. It's always great to hear somebody's success
story.
Tom
210/180/180

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Mirek Fídler wrote:

> "Doug Lerner" <[email protected]> pí¨e v diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > Travis Newbury wrote:
> >
> >> 280/195/170 low carb for 2 years in January

> > You seem to have done well too, Travis. What are your diet secrets,
> > strategies and methods?

> Think about starches and sugars as poisons. That always helped me :)

For me there's an easier one: they reliably give me gas. For that alone
they're just not worth it. :)

Martha

--
"ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
Revek - ASDLC

On 15 Dec 2004 07:19:45 -0800, Travis Newbury <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ==========
> Even more awe-inspiring is the incredible stamina of
> someone who can actually stand to watch Spongebob Squarepants.
> ==========
>
> It's a gift....

It's not a gift -- Sponge Bob is a great cartoon. I'm more amazed when I
hear that people don't like the cartoon.

--
Bob in CT

==========
For me there's an easier one: they reliably give me gas. For that alone
they're just not worth it. :)
==========

Well that reply stinks! (ba-da-bing....)

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Doug Lerner wrote:
> || Travis, that is a great inspiration. It seems you are the "person
> || I've been looking for" - an actual example of somebody who just used
> || low-carb and a reasonable amount of exercise to lose weight - a
> || *real* amount of weight to where you are more-or-less at normal
> || weight *without* counting calories.
> || So it really *is* possible.
>
> Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
> untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were looking for
> is beyond me, as there are several in this group posting everyday (or most
> days).

Well, I've asked several times now and people who seem to be successful
also invariably said they consciously counted and limited their
calories. Travis seems to have done it just with low-carbs. It's the
first time that I've heard of this at any rate.

doug

Tom, I certainly don't want to take away from your results. I was sure I
replied to everybody who replied to my notes (at least to people who
responded in a friendly way :)). If I accidentally overlooked your
message I apologize.

When I posted I was specifically looking for examples of people who
started like me - extremely obese, over 100 lb overweight - and lost a
tremendous amount of weight, getting to normal, or near normal weight.

What I found in response was a lot of people with my experience - in a
matter of a few months it was easy to drop 30 lbs or so, representing
10% or a bit more of weight.

After than, I also found that other people - except those who admitted
to restricted calories - ran into the same problem I did: they stalled
and didn't lose more.

That's why I currently believe that all low-carb does is help you
control your appetite so you can then apply a low-calorie diet - but
that a low-calorie diet is necessary to getting down to a normal weight.

It just seems to me there are lots of people like me who start out
weighing a lot (in my case 288 lb), lose to about the 250 level by just
counting carbs and then get stuck.

So I was looking for counter examples.

Travis is the *only* person here so far who seems to be what I would
call a true success story for LOW CARB ONLY. Unless Travis also counts
calories, which he did not mention.

If I am wrong then I would not only gladly admit it I would be HAPPY to
be wrong. Because I wish low-carb did work! If I am wrong - please point
me to other success stories. I haven't heard of any!

I think your weight loss is great, Tom. But you started out by being
just 30 lb from your goal weight. So you are in "a different weight
class" from people with my problem. I started out need to lose 30 lb
PLUS 100 pounds. It is a whole different kind of problem, I think.

doug

Tom wrote:

> Yeah. I've spent a little time answering to Doug's posts. Most did not
> get a response back. I guess my story wasn't good enough because I didn't
> lose a *real* amount of weight. I remember a few others doing the same
> thing. I wish Doug would have told me earlier that I was wasting my time.
> Travis, like Roger said, this is not to belittle your accomplishment or the
> time spent writing your story. It is very good and inspirational and I hope
> other newcomers can benefit. It's always great to hear somebody's success
> story.
> Tom
> 210/180/180

"Doug Lerner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom, I certainly don't want to take away from your results. I was sure I
> replied to everybody who replied to my notes (at least to people who
> responded in a friendly way :)). If I accidentally overlooked your
> message I apologize.

Well, I'm sorry if I interpreted a non-response as an ignore. I was just
wondering why myself and others seem to have gotten an 'F' on their papers
and Travis got a resounding 'A'. You see, it seemed to many of us that your
questions were indeed genuine(all past posts too) and needed clarification
on what works and what doesn't. Speaking for myself, I thought I could
provide those answers.
Since I don't have any prepared texts that I cut and paste a response
and then fill in (your name here), I try to put in as much relevent info
pertaining to you as possible. Any lengthy post requires a little bit of
research as well to make sure a person is not spouting off untrue facts. Any
mistakes are quickly pointed out in a public forum like this one. A full
explanation of everything is difficult. There is so much to cover and
sometimes an important part can be accidently left out. We want to make sure
that what we tell you is the best that we can give. Of course, a YMMV clause
can help to say it is only a posters opinion and nothing else and can keep
me from being blasted by others that may not agree with anything I say. This
is why a lot of people may sound crabby if they say something like, "Buy a
book and read it, and then see if you have any questions".
Some questions that are asked are so obvious that a person hasn't read
any info about lo-carb at all. Reading a book or website that fully explains
the processes of eating that way helps a lot. It's so easy to ask a
question. It takes 10 times longer to answer properly, unless it is a one
liner joke or dig. So, asking for someones tips and daily menu with calorie
contents, fat/protein/carb % takes a while to compose. It would be far
easier to just lurk, read the posts and just shoot out a one line snipe once
in a while to be funny than to waste one's time on gathering data. I
answered to a post you made a few weeks ago. The funny thing is, I got a
"Nice Post Tom" from 2 people and 1 "I'm going to save this post so I can
read it on days that I feel like things are not going well with lo-carb." I
was happy that somebody could use the info. You were upset that the diet
wasn't working, so I can understand that you did not read the post. You did
not post for a couple of weeks. I even posted a "Ping Doug Lerner". I wanted
to know if you were still out there and possibly just lurking.
I only post replies to people that I think I can be of some help.
Sometimes my answer is not what you want to hear either, but what I think
you are doing wrong. As an example, if you post that you eat 2 or 3 Atkins
bars and 4 slices of lo-carb bread everyday, and then ask if there are
anymore products you can include in your daily menu, I'm going to give you a
talk about why I think you are going the wrong way on the diet. Did it
answer the original post? No, but I see a different problem than "what
products to buy". Some people believe that the diet is very hard to do
without these products. I think natural foods is the answer.
Most answers are not meant to be a flame, just an opinion. It's best to
just thank everyone for their response and make your own decision. If a
poster continues to do something that is felt not right, they will of course
get a blast for whining and a few "I told you so, but you wouldn't listen".
I'm not trying to get extra credit or anything like that. Many people
that answer will have good, but different opinions, and I don't claim to be
smarter than anyone else. I'm just kind of letting you know that people are
taking time out of there day to answer questions hoping they can help. They
wouldn't answer in any lengthy fashion if they didn't want to try and help.
I've spent a couple of hours here alone trying to word everything in a
manner that you won't find offensive.

> When I posted I was specifically looking for examples of people who
> started like me - extremely obese, over 100 lb overweight - and lost a
> tremendous amount of weight, getting to normal, or near normal weight.

Yes, you have. I may be out of line answering because I don't fit the
profile. I had difficulty losing weight before lo-carb. But I see what you
mean that you have a bigger headwall than me.

> What I found in response was a lot of people with my experience - in a
> matter of a few months it was easy to drop 30 lbs or so, representing
> 10% or a bit more of weight.

And that is why some of us may erroneously believe that we know what
you are going through. Maybe losing only 30 lbs is way easier than 130 lbs.
To me it seems the same, just more. A larger weight seems to allow some
people to lose at a faster rate than thinner ones in the beginning. For
others, the shear amount to be lost may seem unachievable(to them) and their
heart may not be in it.

> After than, I also found that other people - except those who admitted
> to restricted calories - ran into the same problem I did: they stalled
> and didn't lose more.

And that's why we try to help by suggesting stuff like, no artificial
sweetners, no frankenfoods, more water. It's possible that your weight gain
was more because your diet was more refined than mine. My diet changes were
a little dramatic, but yours may have been even more so, and therefore to
cut out everything seems like a disaster. I only counted calories in the
first week or so, just out of curiosity. I was averaging around 1500. The
way I started was to eat the same amount of meat as I normally would, but
load up the rest of the plate with salad veggies. Sometimes I had to snack
on nuts, cheese, or my homemade beef jerky to get by between meals. After I
started to lose quite a few pounds, I ate more, but it was still the same
foods. Just more of them. I upped my hamburger at meal time to the
occasional 2 patties instead of 1 if I was really hungry. When ever I felt
the need to snack, I would ask myself, "Am I really hungry? Or just want
something to do?" If it was boredom, I would make myself some green tea, or
sip on Superstore's bubbly spring water( not soda water. Somebody pointed
out here that I shouldn't be drinking high sodium soda water. Haha.)

> That's why I currently believe that all low-carb does is help you
> control your appetite so you can then apply a low-calorie diet - but
> that a low-calorie diet is necessary to getting down to a normal weight.

Not really. I still am quite strict on the carbs. I feel just fine, with
no bad side affects on health. That was some of the other posts that some of
us tried to help you with. I thought that we had all done a good job trying
to explain why lo-carb is the best way to eat to lose weight. I am
maitaining my weight quite easily on lo-carb. I don't think it is neccessary
to go lo-cal until you are within a few pounds of goal, then admitedly, it
does seem to be harder to get lower for some people unless they do restrict
calories. But you can worry about that after the first 100 lbs. I also think
that many people try to increase their carbs too much while on "ongoing
weightloss phase" and possibly trying to incorporate too many lo-carb
products way to early. People try to justify that it is ok because they saw
it mentioned once in the Atkins' book. They fail to realize that meat and
veggies is mentioned many more times, than lo-carb bars in the book as well,
but somehow the former sticks out way more than the latter.
I don't know what you normally eat, but I do remember some. I'll bet that
you don't eat as lo-carb as I do even now. My daily carbs average around 50
to 70gr/day. Still no potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread, and no sugar or
sweetners. I have eaten an occasional multi-grain bread, (one piece only)
with a wack of Adam's peanut butter. An occasional bowl of oatmeal with a
few raisins and peacans. I have just recently added beans(in chili, homemade
and mostly meat). We used to also make homemade green splitpea soup a lot,
and I'm going to make a pot possibly next week. My serving will have a nice
big piece of ham, and the whole onion that stews all day in the soup and
maybe about a cup of the soup. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what
the carb count will be. I don't think it will be a lot, but if it ends up
being to much, I will adjust my serving size, or eliminate it if I find it
is way to high. I don't intend to eat high carb again, but I am
experimenting a little. Hey, I've been doing this for a year(in January),
and have maintained my current weight for 9 months. I don't know everything,
and I still learn new things all the time.
Mostly, I'm trying to appease my Dad and some co-workers that feel I'm a
little to militant with the carbs. So if I have a slice of bread that they
offer me, it's still by my rules, not there's. I, in turn try to encourage
them to eat less refined stuff, and especially not to eat high fat with high
carbs like french fries, and doughnuts. I have noticed that no one eats
white bread anymore at work, and most are quite eager to tell me that they
have cut out drinking pop. We did an experiment after finding that one can
of coke has 7 level tablespoons of sugar. We were all suprized by the
amount, and a taste test revealed a similar taste to flat pop. It's a start,
but still not enough in my opinion.

> It just seems to me there are lots of people like me who start out
> weighing a lot (in my case 288 lb), lose to about the 250 level by just
> counting carbs and then get stuck.

I am not in your shoes, so I don't qualify as you have stated. I really
don't know it feels like to be your size. But sometimes I wonder if people
are thwarting their success by twisting around what they have read to suit
there needs or desires. You yourself have tried a few lo-carb products, and
have asked for places that it could be found in Japan. I have never tried
any of them. So, unless you have tried to eat the way I do you can't be sure
if those foods don't work for you. If no products can be found, then that's
great. Stick to the original eating plan as described in any lo-carb book,
but without the certainly(in my opinion) questionable "lo-carb refined in a
different way **** for food" My experience says, you can't replace bread or
pasta, so don't try. Eat meat and veggies instead. The lo-carb products
themselves seem to play with the carb totals leading you to believe you are
eating less carbs, when in fact you are eating way more. I also don't know
what your own carb levels are. You maybe eating moderate carb instead of low
carb. Some peoples carb level for losing can be around 50gr. others could be
as high as 100 or more gr/day. Moderate carb may not be low enough, you may
have to do actual lo-carb to be able to get the benifits of appetite
supression. I know in the past that you have battled with lo-carb verses
lo-cal, and may not be doing either properly if you are trying to do both.
Some people can't seem to believe that getting energy from fat is the way to
do it. They are still stuck in "fat is bad mode".

> So I was looking for counter examples.
>
> Travis is the *only* person here so far who seems to be what I would
> call a true success story for LOW CARB ONLY. Unless Travis also counts
> calories, which he did not mention.

True, he fits the description of who you wanted to hear from. I didn't
know it was such an important factor. His story was good.

> If I am wrong then I would not only gladly admit it I would be HAPPY to
> be wrong. Because I wish low-carb did work! If I am wrong - please point
> me to other success stories. I haven't heard of any!

Unfortunately, there may not be many of those stories. I have read a
few, but I don't archive them, and I can't even remember any names off hand.
Hopefully some others can step up and remind us. Usually there is a posting
of "I just reached 50lbs" or "I made 100lbs loss". But I can't really
remember who. I don't even know how many people I have ****** off on this
board. I could very well have answered another's post the next week, not
realizing they may be hurting from the last one I replied to. It really
doesn't mean much to me if we argue. I usually don't believe most people are
out to hurt feelings anyway, they just want to be able to express their
viewpoint. Only the regular posters tend to stick in my mind.

> I think your weight loss is great, Tom. But you started out by being
> just 30 lb from your goal weight. So you are in "a different weight
> class" from people with my problem. I started out need to lose 30 lb
> PLUS 100 pounds. It is a whole different kind of problem, I think.

That is very possible Doug. Because I suffered no serious medical
ailments, may be a big difference as well. But the underlying principles for
achieving weightloss would be the same. Your climb is definitely higher than
mine, but you can still take it 30lbs at a time.
Please understand that we really are trying to steer you in the right
direction. We have all been heavier at one time. Hopefully you will find the
answers and then you can be the one giving the suggestions. I've written a
book here and it's definitely time to go. Do me a favor will you? Don't give
up, ok? lo-carb is the way to go for weightloss.
Tom
210/180/180
My weightloss pics
http://ca.geocities.com/kazzy_ca/photopagetomgallant.html

Daniel Hoffmeister wrote:
|| Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
||| Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
||| untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were
||| looking for is beyond me, as there are several in this group
||| posting everyday (or most days).
|| S'okay, Roger. He really did tell a good story where the rest of us
|| are sharing ours in snippets. Plus the part about never cheating is
|| truly awe-inspiring. Even more awe-inspiring is the incredible
|| stamina of
|| someone who can actually stand to watch Spongebob Squarepants.
|| Congrats to you, Travis, and welcome to the Former Fat Guys Club and
|| its
|| many membership benefits. At my age, I don't exactly get women
|| hitting on
|| me but one of my wife's sisters (the Odd One) patted me on the butt
|| and
|| said, "Nice!" ;-)
|| Dan
|| 325/193/190
|| Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
|| Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

Thanks for proving my point, Dan! :)

Doug Lerner wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| Not to take anything from Travis, but his experience is not at all
||| untypical. Why you haven't found this person you claim you were
||| looking for is beyond me, as there are several in this group
||| posting everyday (or most days).
|| Well, I've asked several times now and people who seem to be
|| successful
|| also invariably said they consciously counted and limited their
|| calories. Travis seems to have done it just with low-carbs. It's the
|| first time that I've heard of this at any rate.

Okay. So now you have no excuse since you know it can be done, right?

Caution: the length of this note is sort of long because I didn't find
too much to "snip" out of Tom's response. :)

Tom wrote:

> answered to a post you made a few weeks ago. The funny thing is, I got a
> "Nice Post Tom" from 2 people and 1 "I'm going to save this post so I can
> read it on days that I feel like things are not going well with lo-carb." I
> was happy that somebody could use the info. You were upset that the diet
> wasn't working, so I can understand that you did not read the post. You did
> not post for a couple of weeks. I even posted a "Ping Doug Lerner". I wanted
> to know if you were still out there and possibly just lurking.

Sorry, Tom! Really! Missing your note was completely inadvertent.
Usually I try to check back the same day and the next day after posting,
and even on subsequent days if it looks like the "thread took off".
(Sometimes the thread just digresses into something weird, like
religious stuff involving some sort of 2 lb diet that I don't know what
they are talking about)...

And if I am off my diet I tend to wander away for a couple of weeks. Yes
- I realize that is the opposite of what I should do!

If I wandered away I might miss your note altogether when I come back
because my newsreader is set to just download the most-recent 500 headers.

I didn't notice the "Ping Doug Lerner" note at all! By the by, the email
address I am using here - [email protected] - is my real address. So any
of you can feel free to use that also to wake me up. :)

But I will try to keep better track.

I also have a forums site I set up at http://diet.lifemind.com/ that
doesn't get used much. I could mirror this newsgroup there and get email
notifications of postings. Maybe I'll try that. Anybody else who wants
to make use of that site is welcome to do it with me. It has lots of
nice features, including email and blogs. But I digress...

> I only post replies to people that I think I can be of some help.
> Sometimes my answer is not what you want to hear either, but what I think
> you are doing wrong. As an example, if you post that you eat 2 or 3 Atkins
> bars and 4 slices of lo-carb bread everyday, and then ask if there are
> anymore products you can include in your daily menu, I'm going to give you a
> talk about why I think you are going the wrong way on the diet. Did it
> answer the original post? No, but I see a different problem than "what
> products to buy". Some people believe that the diet is very hard to do
> without these products. I think natural foods is the answer.

I understand what you are saying. I actually don't eat most of those
products. I've *tried* them, but since they are not available here I
usually don't eat them at all. Most of the time I just cook stuff myself
here at home. I work out of my house (I'm a programmer and most of my
work is over the Internet) so it is easy to cook at home and not eat out.

> Most answers are not meant to be a flame, just an opinion. It's best to
> just thank everyone for their response and make your own decision. If a
> poster continues to do something that is felt not right, they will of course
> get a blast for whining and a few "I told you so, but you wouldn't listen".
> I'm not trying to get extra credit or anything like that. Many people
> that answer will have good, but different opinions, and I don't claim to be
> smarter than anyone else. I'm just kind of letting you know that people are
> taking time out of there day to answer questions hoping they can help. They
> wouldn't answer in any lengthy fashion if they didn't want to try and help.
> I've spent a couple of hours here alone trying to word everything in a
> manner that you won't find offensive.

I do appreciate that your posts are intended to be informative, helpful,
supportive, honest and non-offensive, Tom! As a matter of fact, most
people here are pretty helpful and supportive. I just ignore the other
threads. :)

>>When I posted I was specifically looking for examples of people who
>>started like me - extremely obese, over 100 lb overweight - and lost a
>>tremendous amount of weight, getting to normal, or near normal weight.

> Yes, you have. I may be out of line answering because I don't fit the
> profile. I had difficulty losing weight before lo-carb. But I see what you
> mean that you have a bigger headwall than me.

It's not just a bigger headwall. I think there is something
*fundamentally* different about the type of person who is a bit
overweight and a person who is extremely obese, like me. Psychologically
and even physically I think there are many different issues at work.

>>What I found in response was a lot of people with my experience - in a
>>matter of a few months it was easy to drop 30 lbs or so, representing
>>10% or a bit more of weight.

> And that is why some of us may erroneously believe that we know what
> you are going through. Maybe losing only 30 lbs is way easier than 130 lbs.
> To me it seems the same, just more. A larger weight seems to allow some
> people to lose at a faster rate than thinner ones in the beginning. For
> others, the shear amount to be lost may seem unachievable(to them) and their
> heart may not be in it.

I think it is different in this way: I think most adults who are 30 lbs
overweight tended to drift into that condition over time. Is that what
happened to you? If so, you basically have your appetite under control
and are what I would call "a normal person". It's just that over time
your basic metabolism has naturally slowed down a bit and, if you are
like most people, your level of physical activity has gone down as well.
The combination of both of those things contributes to gradual weight
gain - a few pounds a year, or even 10 lb a year - so you find yourself
at some point 30 lbs over your best weight.

In my case, and with many others here who are really obese, like me, it
is something completely different. We have been overweight most of our
lives. It's not a gradual creep - we are real overeaters. Even binge
eaters. We can't control ourselves. We are in some sense addicted to food.

When people like us go on Atkins what happens is that we initially lose
a lot of weight. And we get our hunger and cravings under control TO A
CERTAIN EXTENT. But oftentimes (as in my case) our new natural level of
hunger, while lower than it was before, is not enough to bring our
consumption down to a level that lets us lose weight all the way down to
our goal.

So I think it is two different kinds of weight loss problems.

>>After than, I also found that other people - except those who admitted
>>to restricted calories - ran into the same problem I did: they stalled
>>and didn't lose more.

> And that's why we try to help by suggesting stuff like, no artificial
> sweetners, no frankenfoods, more water. It's possible that your weight gain
> was more because your diet was more refined than mine.

I also notice that my diet seems to work best the more non-processed the
foods I eat. I usually don't have much in the way of artificial
sweeteners, though I have been drinking that Arizona green tea with
ginseng my sister sent me. It is sweetened with splenda. I could try to
give that up and just drink plain water and green tea for a while and
see if that really makes a difference.

Is Splenda a problem for many people?

Otherwise, I really don't eat those "frankenfoods". They aren't
available here. And except for a few Atkins bars my sister sent me I
haven't had anything like that in at least 6 months.

> My diet changes were
> a little dramatic, but yours may have been even more so, and therefore to
> cut out everything seems like a disaster. I only counted calories in the
> first week or so, just out of curiosity. I was averaging around 1500.

I think this just confirms my theory about the two different kinds of
bodies we both started with. You are obviously not a food addict, like I
am. You just needed to reverse the gradual weight gain you were slipping
into with a gradual weight loss. Low-carb fitted well into what you needed.

If I *just* count carbs and only eat when I am hungry and don't
overstuff myself I could still easily eat twice that amount of calories
per day!

That's why I think more conscious calorie control is vital for somebody
like me.

I could easily, casually, toss away 2 or more 2 oz bags of macadamia
nuts during a day. That would add about an extra 800 calories, which
over the course of a month can make the difference as to whether I lost
7 lb or stalled.

You just can't ignore those calories - even if they total just a few net
grams per day, and are completely natural foods.

> I don't know what you normally eat, but I do remember some. I'll bet that
> you don't eat as lo-carb as I do even now. My daily carbs average around 50
> to 70gr/day.

On days I am low carb I am sure I am eating less carbs than you are. I
would estimate 20 grams on the average and certainly no more than 30
grams for sure!

And before somebody starts in on me for not upping my carbs gradually
until I reach the border of losing/not-losing and stay just this side of
losing - it just doesn't work that way! I stall too soon to be able to
do such a weekly adjustment.

>>It just seems to me there are lots of people like me who start out
>>weighing a lot (in my case 288 lb), lose to about the 250 level by just
>>counting carbs and then get stuck.

> I am not in your shoes, so I don't qualify as you have stated. I really
> don't know it feels like to be your size. But sometimes I wonder if people
> are thwarting their success by twisting around what they have read to suit
> there needs or desires. You yourself have tried a few lo-carb products, and
> have asked for places that it could be found in Japan. I have never tried
> any of them. So, unless you have tried to eat the way I do you can't be sure
> if those foods don't work for you. If no products can be found, then that's
> great. Stick to the original eating plan as described in any lo-carb book,
> but without the certainly(in my opinion) questionable "lo-carb refined in a
> different way **** for food" My experience says, you can't replace bread or
> pasta, so don't try. Eat meat and veggies instead. The lo-carb products
> themselves seem to play with the carb totals leading you to believe you are
> eating less carbs, when in fact you are eating way more.

I think there is confusion about what I have been eating. When I am
doing low-carb it is very much like you describe. I never found any of
the low-carb products here in Japan, so I haven't been using them.

This week I haven't been on any diet at all and have rebounded to 122
kg. It's still morning here, and I am starting with a low carb breakfast
and I will try to stay on low-carb today and go on from there...

Thanks,

doug