Interfacing bicycle to computer for indoor training?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Guidry, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Guidry

Peter Guidry Guest

What I am talking about is a DIY cheap version of the compu-trainer. I used to program
    microcontrollers and it would have been fairly trivial to run a magnetic switch on a microcontroller
    interrupt to calculated speed.

But I know comparatively little about interfacing unique HW to a PC under windows.

But this should not pose any significant challenge and with under $10 of HW cost you should be able
    to get wheel pulse info into the PC. If the PC can directly read the pulses via an interrupt. If
    not then a simple microcontroller with serial interface could do the work and send speed updates
    via rs232.

So has anyone heard of any user projects like this?

Tags:

2. Matt Cahill

Matt Cahill Guest

[email protected] (Peter Guidry) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What I am talking about is a DIY cheap version of the compu-trainer. I used to program
    > microcontrollers and it would have been fairly trivial to run a magnetic switch on a
    > microcontroller interrupt to calculated speed.
    >
    > But I know comparatively little about interfacing unique HW to a PC under windows.
    >
    > But this should not pose any significant challenge and with under $10 of HW cost you should be
    > able to get wheel pulse info into the PC. If the PC can directly read the pulses via an interrupt.
    > If not then a simple microcontroller with serial interface could do the work and send speed
    > updates via rs232.
    >
    > So has anyone heard of any user projects like this?

Computrainer sells a cheaper product called Anytrainer. I have it and as far as I can tell they
    simply have the magnet on the wheel passing a coil attached to the frame which is wired directly to
    the serial port. I think I paid about $30 for the gizmo and software.

3. Zilla

Zilla Guest

Matt Cahill wrote:
    > [email protected] (Peter Guidry) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> What I am talking about is a DIY cheap version of the compu-trainer. I used to program
    >> microcontrollers and it would have been fairly trivial to run a magnetic switch on a
    >> microcontroller interrupt to calculated speed.
    >>
    >> But I know comparatively little about interfacing unique HW to a PC under windows.
    >>
    >> But this should not pose any significant challenge and with under $10 of HW cost you should be
    >> able to get wheel pulse info into the PC. If the PC can directly read the pulses via an
    >> interrupt. If not then a simple microcontroller with serial interface could do the work and send
    >> speed updates via rs232.
    >>
    >> So has anyone heard of any user projects like this?
    >
    > Computrainer sells a cheaper product called Anytrainer. I have it and as far as I can tell they
    > simply have the magnet on the wheel passing a coil attached to the frame which is wired directly
    > to the serial port. I think I paid about $30 for the gizmo and software.

Thanks for the tip! www.anytrainer.com.

--
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

4. Matt Cahill

Matt Cahill Guest

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Matt Cahill wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Peter Guidry) wrote in message
    > > news:<632dae73.0401261150.[email protected]>...
    > >> What I am talking about is a DIY cheap version of the compu-trainer. I used to program
    > >> microcontrollers and it would have been fairly trivial to run a magnetic switch on a
    > >> microcontroller interrupt to calculated speed.
    > >>
    > >> But I know comparatively little about interfacing unique HW to a PC under windows.
    > >>
    > >> But this should not pose any significant challenge and with under $10 of HW cost you should be
    > >> able to get wheel pulse info into the PC. If the PC can directly read the pulses via an
    > >> interrupt. If not then a simple microcontroller with serial interface could do the work and
    > >> send speed updates via rs232.
    > >>
    > >> So has anyone heard of any user projects like this?
    > >
    > > Computrainer sells a cheaper product called Anytrainer. I have it and as far as I can tell they
    > > simply have the magnet on the wheel passing a coil attached to the frame which is wired directly
    > > to the serial port. I think I paid about $30 for the gizmo and software.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip! www.anytrainer.com.

Your welcome. I did notice that my memory was probably wrong about the price. On line ordering in
    the web site you referenced said $80...still alot cheaper than a computrainer.

5. Peter Guidry

Peter Guidry Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.