Interference to Wireless Cyclometers from Digital Lighting

Seattlerowe

Guest
Has anyone figured out how to get around the interference caused to
wireless cyclometers from digital lights (Niterider)? Excell Sports
swore the new Mavic wireless cyclometer with cadence wouldn't be
affected, and it is (operating only intermittently for both mph and
cadence when the light is running). I like the cyclometer but hate to
loose my mileage all winter when I commute in the dark.

On 23 Aug 2005 17:25:21 -0700, "Seattlerowe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Has anyone figured out how to get around the interference caused to
>wireless cyclometers from digital lights (Niterider)? Excell Sports
>swore the new Mavic wireless cyclometer with cadence wouldn't be
>affected, and it is (operating only intermittently for both mph and
>cadence when the light is running). I like the cyclometer but hate to
>loose my mileage all winter when I commute in the dark.

See, this sort of thing is why my rule of thumb is "if it can be done with
a wire, USE A FREAKING WIRE". Wireless when it's needed or useful (say,
chest HRM sensors, mobile phones, etc.) is awesome, but -- particularly
cheap and cheerful wireless like bike computers and other such low budget
items -- is only a major hassle without offsetting benefits. Not even
mentioning the multiple-battery thing.

Jasper

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:58:25 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]>
wrote:

>See, this sort of thing is why my rule of thumb is "if it can be done with
>a wire, USE A FREAKING WIRE".

I realised that when the wireless bike computer I had used to own
advanced by leaps and bounds (ranging from 30 metres to more than 4km)
if it was in my pocket when I walked through supermarket anti-theft
detectors.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:21:59 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:58:25 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>See, this sort of thing is why my rule of thumb is "if it can be done with
>>a wire, USE A FREAKING WIRE".

>I realised that when the wireless bike computer I had used to own
>advanced by leaps and bounds (ranging from 30 metres to more than 4km)
>if it was in my pocket when I walked through supermarket anti-theft
>detectors.

Mine (A Mity 3) did that if it was in my pocket with my keys, since each
time two bits of my keyring contacted the two contacts on the back was
counted as one revolution of the wheel (Max speeds of nearly 200 kph were
observed).

But at least that was predictable and could be avoided simply.

Jasper