Intermittent abraded penis and related

Gank

Aug 9, 2012
My apologies to the ladies; not trying to be crude, so thank you for understanding.

I cycle quite a lot. Any given week, 15 to 20 hours and hundreds of miles. For the most part, everything is fine, whether I'm working on the trainer or riding outdoors. Thousands of miles every year.

Two weekends ago, I did a 75 mile ride with about 4500 feet of climbing with no issues whatsoever. Two days later, I did a three hour trainer ride in the exact same bibs (washed, of course), and my penis glans had chafed directly across the top, as well as one small spot on the top of my scrotum. When this occurs, I don't really notice the pain until it's too late, much like the way blisters appear.

This past weekend, I did a 124 mile ride, and when I got to mile 102, I realized I was in trouble. I tried to re-apply some chamois butter, and the stinging sensation nearly had me in tears. The rim edge of my glans was swollen and beat up, and there was significant chafing, again across the top, as well as the exact same spot on top of my scrotum.

I am trying to understand what I could possibly be doing differently between one ride and the next, where some rides I am 100% fine with zero issues, and the next ride I arrive at home with a bloodstained chamois -- the same type and brand, so it's not the bibs. It does not matter if it's Rapha, Assos, Garneau... it's so random! One ride is fine, the next... bam.

While I realize this may be amusing to some, I am really looking for answers, or hoping to hear advice from those who've had similar circumstances. Am I the only cyclist in the world who continues to ride despite these infrequent but serious problems?

Thank you for your sincere replies. Any advice is welcome.

Random is always hard to analyze.
I have a pair of tights that'd do something similar.
They were a little loose.
Not much, just a little.
If my penis wasnt at its tiniest, it'd flop around a little. That stimulation would cause it to get a little bit bigger.
I'm not talking erection here, more like "warm shower size".
Then it'd flop more, grow a little more, cross a seam and begin to hurt.
Rain, sweat, method of wash/dry, temperature - probably even mood would influence occurrence. Tighter bibs sorted it out.
Being circumcised or not makes a difference. Foreskin properly rolled out protects against chafing.

Random is always hard to analyze.

Thank you very much for your reply. Mostly I think I am frustrated because this sort of injury is quite painful and requires several days off the bike and vigilant wound care. It's the middle of my training season when I can least afford time off.

Obviously I'm doing something differently from one ride to the next, but I'm baffled as to what it could be. I feel that I'm very consistent and conscientious with how the dangly bits are arranged in my bibs, but the results suggest otherwise. It's difficult to visualize what's happening down there as a ride progresses.

I'm wondering if there isn't a sort of "hammock" that's been designed to hoist the twig and berries out of harm's way, and strap them around one's midriff. I'm considering breaking out the athletic tape and creating such a contrivance for the purpose of experimentation, but with the dread that a much worse, unknown problem lurks in that direction.

I'm wondering if there isn't a sort of "hammock" that's been designed to hoist the twig and berries out of harm's way....

There IS an item of male underwear called a jockstrap.
It'll do SOME of what you want.
However, I suspect that the placement of the elastics may prove awkward for bicycle purposes.

A Jockstrap would be very painful to wear on a bike, years and years ago I tried one, OUCH!!! I had to be off the bike for about a week. It's possible you could try a pair of tight fitting underwear without seams then put on the shorts.

There is something wrong with your shorts, sometimes you may have to try another brand to see if the padding is better for your anatomy, sorry but that could take trying several which means you won't be able to return it...duh! All though Performance and Nashbar claim you can send anything back if you're not happy, but I would contact them first with this specific question.

If that fails you could just whack the offending member off and that will eliminate all your problems...except your wife will not understand and leave, but you'll be able to ride without any issues.

Hi Gank. Have you tried lowering the saddle and or and or tilting it slightly forward or even riding it in a flat position ?
The issue that you describe would appear to be caused by everything (all of your tackle) being pushed up from below.
Are you really sure that your saddle width is correct ? Riding on a narrow saddle can not only affect your 'Sit-bones' but it could also create a situation whereby your tackle is taking some of your body weight and therefore being push upward.
Have you tried sitting on the bike without any items of clothing on your lower body and pedalling the bike backwards and watching what actually happens/the position that everything ends-up in ?

Hello:

It sounds like you have already identified the geographic locations of the problem areas.

any chance you can use some gauze and tape to isolate and insulate the areas?

Personally, I have some of the same problems and on shorter rides, some Vaseline jelly works whereas on longer rides, bandage gauze and tape are the solution.

Not the most comfortable on the bike but all things considered, a good solution.

Regards,
(not so) cranky

Hi again Gank. Further to my post #6 yesterday. My youngest brother (sadly recently deceased) did both time trial events and road race events throughout the 60's & 70's albeit he chose to ride a Brookes Professional saddle of the day and he had had is pecker trimmed and an adjustment made at birth because of an issue.
He never did refer to any discomfort of any description and remained riding his several road bikes and mountain/off-road up and until he no-longer had the energy in his body to turn the pedals.