Intermittent grinding noise - freewheel

mcdicka

Mar 15, 2007
I am riding on Easton Tempest II wheels with a campag chorus 10 speed groupset and am expereincing an intermittent grinding noise from my rear wheel. The noise only occurs whilst pedalling and is especially prevalent on climbs, if however I freewheel briefly the noise dissapears for a period. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

mcdicka said:
I am riding on Easton Tempest II wheels with a campag chorus 10 speed groupset and am expereincing an intermittent grinding noise from my rear wheel. The noise only occurs whilst pedalling and is especially prevalent on climbs, if however I freewheel briefly the noise dissapears for a period. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Sounds like the RD cable tension needs a little tweaking. This can be done either with the RD cable adjustment barrel or at the downtube adjuster barrel. If you have recently switched wheels, it may be because the freehubs don't exactly line up between brands even though the cassette spacing is obviously the same.

10s is more intolerant of minor maladjustments than 8s or 9s drivetrains.

Also make sure that the bushings on your RD pulleys (particularly the top one) are cleaned and lubed. The top pulley recenters the chain on the cassette after the shift and if it is gritty, it may not center properly.

If everything is adjusted properly and you still have grinding, the noise could be coming from within the hub it self and manifests more when under load.