Intermittent readings today. Battery?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by azdroptop, Jun 24, 2009.

1. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Riding the trainer at work this morning and I noticed my speed and power began to go in and out. The unit was searching every 20 to 30 secs, would read briefly and then search again. Hub battery or computer? It's new with only about 1300 miles of ride time, or 72 hours or so. I thought the hub batteries were supposed to go 250 + hours. Thanks.

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If the batteries in the hub are low on juice then the transmission icon (top left of CPU display) should flash.

If you do a 'clr' from the CPU and the batteries are low in the CPU then it should display 'low bat'. This message will only appear on the CPU following a 'clr' which sucks.

If you have alkaline batteries (ie not silver oxide) then you'll get a much shorter battery life. Don't count on the local Radio Shack or camera store having the silver oxide batteries that you need...
    Have fun with the plastic hub cover removal tool - I was surprised that it worked as well as it did...

3. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

So here's the update. After having the intermittent readings the PT worked fine on the next 4 or 5 rides. Then after a ride on the rollers at the station and more intermittent readings the next day it would not read anything from the hub. I tried the learn functions for the HR strap and the Hub multiple times to no avail. I then changed the batteries in the hub and cumputer. Still nothing. Talked with saris and they gave me a RO# to send it in. It sat for a day and before boxing it up I tried to Learn the HR strap again and it worked. So did the hub. Rode the next day and it worked perfectly. Then it would not read watts and or learn at all the next day. A day later it worked. I can't figure out what the heck is going on with this thing. I guess I should send it in. Two days ago it worked perfectly for over 2 hours. The next day nothing. I changed the computer battery again and it worked for half of my ride today. WTF?

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Is it only indoors on the trainer that you have trouble synching to the hub and getting power readings?

Any chance you've got a 2.4 GHz WiFi access point near where your trainer is set up? If it happens elsewhere then it's probably an intermittent hub/CPU but if it only happens indoors on the trainer I'd look for nearby radio frequency interference sources and WiFi access nodes are likely culprits as are 2.4 GHz cordless phones but only if they're in use while you ride.

-Dave

5. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Hi Dave,

At work, Fire Station, we do have a heavy duty wifi set up so that explains the problems when I ride the rollers in the bay. The problem is now occurring everywhere. For example one of the rides I mentioned above it read just fine for the first 20 miles or so then turned off out of the blue. I tried to 'learn' while riding, also 'find' and nothing. The computer then went to sleep and when I stopped up the road I turned it back on and tried to pair the HS which it did and the hub worked also. Today after traveling home from Flagstaff To Tucson it isn't working again and will not even pair the HS. My guess is the computer has a short since it will not pair the HS? Looks like I have to ship it in.