intermittent training - where do I go from here?

Wow, that was unexpected. Thank you for your gift.

Congratulations on becoming elite.

I hope to see you post your race results, and any training hints that
you have for us. What type of cycling/mountain bike racing do you do?

I also find that swimming can release a lot of muscular imbalances.
Although I can also need a good massage after a swim.

Thanks for the core workout reminder.

Please keep me posted, I am very interested to hear how your training is
going. These posts help keep me motivated.

> [...]
>>> I don't know. I had to start over, but that was several years ago.
>>>
>>> I noticed only yesterday that my hr is lower when I run, compared to
>>> when I am doing other tasks or movements that I thought would be lower.
>>>
>>> Have you noticed your hr increase or decrease dramatically based on how
>>> much activity that you have done that week?
>>>
>>> I will read up the method that Gordo uses for you. I think he says that
>>> the rate in which your breathing changes, minus ten beats is a good
>>> place to start, but I would have to go back to the book and check that
>>> out for you and I ran out of time today. The book is a few years old,
>>> but the blog is only a few months old. Gordo went to a Shamanic training
>>> camp in Texas featuring Mark Allen in October, and he may have changed
>>> his method of training heart rate. I thought about going to this camp
>>> but participated in a race instead.
>>>
>>> Back to hr, it does get better fairly quick. Swimming at a higher hr may
>>> keep it from adapting to a lower hr profile as quickly as it could.
>>>
>>> Your hr might also change depending on liquid in your body, if you had a
>>> gel or sports drink first, if you have to pee, etc.
>>>
>>> If you start running 1 min and walking 1 minute, you might see a great
>>> change happen in your hr as it gets stronger at lower beats. The process
>>> might not take as long as you think.
>>>
>>> I am tempted to write Mark Allen or Gordo on this question. Unless you
>>> want to take a shot at it?

>> I just wrote a post on Mark Allen's forum - it's waiting for approval to
>> be posted. Here's what I said:
>> "I am trying to understand how to develop my first base in HR training.
>> Here's where I am:
>> - I am 42 year old male
>>
>> - Have been swimming with a masters group for a little over a year
>>
>> - My runs have worked up to a 10 mile run (3 weeks ago) which was a very
>> slow pace (11min) and an average HR of 165, but my runs have been
>> inconsistent which means I have run a few times on week then take a week
>> off
>>
>> - This will be my first year in triathlon I plan several sprints and
>> maybe an Olympic distance
>>
>> My concern, after writing on a forum and reading several articles on HR
>> base training, is that my HR is too high for developing a good base. I
>> was able to run 3 days ago for a 1/2 hour keeping my HR under around
>> 145-148. I felt much better but was going really slow.
>>
>> Some article I read say I that, in order to build a good base HR phase, I
>> need to keep my HR in the 135 range. In order to keep it that low, I
>> would have not do more than walk fast. If I break into a run at even a
>> slow pace, I'm in the 145+ range.
>>
>> Since I did a 10-miler, I don't feel I need (maybe "want" is a more
>> appropriate word) to start over but I DO realize the value of developing
>> a strong HR base training pahse.
>>
>> Where do I go from here regarding my runs (frequency, duration, HR
>> during,...)? The same question could be for my swims and bike rides as

Yes, his reply was basically they answer very specific questions where
creating aplan is not called for

I too want to thank you tri. Big help.

I've been working on building my aerobic capacity - building the engine
(heart) as a friend tells me.

Last week my long run was 16 miles - the most I have ever done. Althought
it was a slow pace, at least until it got dark and I had to find my way
through the dark woods before it became pitch black, I kept my heart rate
within my aerobic range.

I am noticing my swimming and spinning HR going down. It's all making sense
now.

Paul wrote:
> I too want to thank you tri. Big help.
>
> I've been working on building my aerobic capacity - building the engine
> (heart) as a friend tells me.
>
> Last week my long run was 16 miles - the most I have ever done. Althought
> it was a slow pace, at least until it got dark and I had to find my way
> through the dark woods before it became pitch black, I kept my heart rate
> within my aerobic range.
>
> I am noticing my swimming and spinning HR going down. It's all making sense
> now.

I wasn't sure if you would see this happen, and yet you saw results very
quickly. I am very pleased with your progress. I am also thankful for
your your thanks.