Internal cable routing problem

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I have a Giant OCR composite where the rear brake cable is internally routed. The ferrule on the cable housing going from tube to brake has gone inside the top tube and now the housing is sliding into the tube also. I guess the ferrule stop has broken. I don't want to pull cable and not be able to get the ferrule out, I'm afraid I won't be able to run another cable. So how do I get the ferrule out? How do I fix the frame to keep a new ferrule from going inside the tube? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally Posted by hippie .

I have an idea, but a pic of the problem area would he helpful.
Here is a close-up; shows the housing going into the tube. The ferrule has gone inside the tube and can't be seen... I tried pulling the ferrule out but all I did was scrape the paint...

Hi

I would first disconnect the cable from the Brake caliper, so you have room to slde the housing, leave the cable tip on. Then stand the bike on the Rear wheel, this may help the ferrel cap stay lined up with the hole. If the ferrel cap is still on the cable, then you may not need to stand the bike on the RR wheel. Then try sliding or Twisting the housing out of the frame. If that does not work, you might want to try pulling the housing back. Then if the ferrel cap is off the housing, try using a small pair of needle nose pliers to wiggle it out. Then if you do get it out. You can use a Brake Barrel ADJ as a new cable stop, or you can use full length housing. A litte lube may help it slide out.

Also i just looked at your pic again. you may have to slighty enlarge the hole, by cleaning the edge of the hole up, with a xacto knife to get it out. Let me know if this helps.

I'd take it around to a Giant dealer - or at the very least see if there's anyone at Giant USA that can offer some advice.

As for getting it fixed I'd give Calfee a call. When I was thinking about getting my Cannondale I checked around at repair costs - theirs are very reasonable and they've been in the carbon bike business for a couple of decades. It might be worth giving them a call too for advice - they may have seen something similar in the past. At worst all they can say it "you'll have to send it too us before we can comment"

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I'd take it around to a Giant dealer - or at the very least see if there's anyone at Giant USA that can offer some advice.

As for getting it fixed I'd give Calfee a call. When I was thinking about getting my Cannondale I checked around at repair costs - theirs are very reasonable and they've been in the carbon bike business for a couple of decades. It might be worth giving them a call too for advice - they may have seen something similar in the past. At worst all they can say it "you'll have to send it too us before we can comment"
Yeah, I was hoping somebody had an easy fix for this... maybe using a magnet to "drag" the ferrule from inside the tube? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

That's good advice. There is a guy in Sanford Fl that does Carbon repair as well. I have had Two buddy that have used him, & they were very satisfied with his work. It would be cheaper than sending it to calfe in CA. His Company is The Frame Doctor or something close to that. I will see if i can find his web site for you.