Internal Cable Routing?

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Is it a good idea? What are the advantages, disadvantages? Who does it? I know Klein.

Originally posted by hwttdz
Is it a good idea? What are the advantages, disadvantages? Who does it? I know Klein.

Cervelo does. Any aero advantage is super minimal. But what's cool is not having to clean it, or around it, and it doesn't ever rattle against the frame in a hard bump, etc. Plus, it looks sleek.

I have it on my '92 RT 600 Raleigh. I like the clean look also, but to me the issue of rattles and possible maintenance problems is a drawback. (Mine has always rattled over bumps)

Originally posted by Aztec
and it doesn't ever rattle against the frame in a hard bump, etc.
Some do rattle.Had to reroute rear brake cable on a Trek to the outside to cure it.

I love the look too, so clean.
One downside is difficulty to route new cables, especially if you break one.

Kestrel does it as well. The new Specialized Tarmac looks from pictures to have some internal routing also, though I haven't seen one up close.

I don't think the pros and cons are a big mystery -- what's good is that it's unique, slick, and clean; it's a indication of strong craftsmenship. It's also nice to worry less about under-top-tube cable rub when carrying the bike or mounting it on a rack. What's not so good is just as obvious -- it's an additional complication when it comes to assembly and servicing. If things go wrong with your cable system, the routing becomes that much greater a hurdle.

Some manufacturers use a connector like a big straw that goes from one hole to the other inside the frame tube. To route the cable and housing you just insert at one end, push and it comes out the other end. It won't rattle this way either.

lokstah said:
Kestrel does it as well. The new Specialized Tarmac looks from pictures to have some internal routing also, though I haven't seen one up close.

I don't think the pros and cons are a big mystery -- what's good is that it's unique, slick, and clean; it's a indication of strong craftsmenship. It's also nice to worry less about under-top-tube cable rub when carrying the bike or mounting it on a rack. What's not so good is just as obvious -- it's an additional complication when it comes to assembly and servicing. If things go wrong with your cable system, the routing becomes that much greater a hurdle.

Tarmac goes under the TT but its so neat and the TT is pretty good size and because of the shape,its well hidden.

hwttdz said:
Speaking as a mechanic I can say that I utterly detest internal cables and that they are the source of many hassles. Older Klein MTBs used to give grief due to the friction where the cable "bends" around the exit from the frame; always hard to get indexing to work reliably. Also dramas with Power V frames, etc.

Replacing cables is a pain and there is always more friction than if they are external. More drag from extra outer casing. Potential stress points where "holes" are made in frame tubes. No significant advantage except it "looks cool".

Just say NO!