Internal gear hubs for MTB use

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Patrick Couser, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Hi, Does anyone have any experience of using the cheaper (not Rohloff) internal gear hubs on MTBs?
    Im thinking of the Shimano Nexus, SRAM/Sachs and Sturmey Acher/Sun Race hubs. How strong are they
    and what are they like at keeping crud out? Im mainly looking at a replacement for my MTB commuter
    bike and also for my single speed (yes I know it wont be a single speed any more but for when Ive
    got the kiddie seat on the back) Cheers, Pat

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Patrick Couser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Does anyone have any experience of using the cheaper (not Rohloff) internal gear hubs on MTBs?
    > Im thinking of the Shimano Nexus, SRAM/Sachs and Sturmey Acher/Sun Race hubs. How strong are they
    > and what are they like at keeping crud out? Im mainly looking at a replacement for my MTB commuter
    > bike and also for my single speed (yes I know it wont be a single speed any more but for when Ive
    > got the kiddie seat on the back)

    We have a fairly large number (50-60) of Sachs (SRAM) Super Seven gearboxes and a few Nexus out
    there giving great service. They have proven tough and well sealed. They also have a distinct
    advantage over the Shimano unit in ease of wheel removal for changing a flat. The German hub control
    box is truly inspired with an effective no-tools positive engagement that leaves no room for error.

    Service problem have been few. Two Nexus with salt water corrosion inside from excessively harsh
    riding environment ( no permanent damage after a cleaning and relube) and one Sachs coaster brake
    model that was ridden without a bolt in the brake arm and promptly snapped an axle in half.

    If you're looking at a new gearbox, note that SRAM has changed the supplied sprocket from a sensible
    and useful 24t to a smaller 18t this year. That can be changed but they intended a small chainring
    as on new bikes like the Bianchi Bergamo. There's also just one current control lever now- a twist
    grip. Some clever
    r.b.t. netizens have arranged stub-handlebar mountings on the side of the stem and elsewhere. A
    perusal of our archives will show you some alternate shifter positions.