Internal gear hubs for MTB use

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick Couser

Hi, Does anyone have any experience of using the cheaper (not Rohloff) internal gear hubs on MTBs?
Im thinking of the Shimano Nexus, SRAM/Sachs and Sturmey Acher/Sun Race hubs. How strong are they
and what are they like at keeping crud out? Im mainly looking at a replacement for my MTB commuter
bike and also for my single speed (yes I know it wont be a single speed any more but for when Ive
got the kiddie seat on the back) Cheers, Pat

"Patrick Couser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, Does anyone have any experience of using the cheaper (not Rohloff) internal gear hubs on MTBs?
> Im thinking of the Shimano Nexus, SRAM/Sachs and Sturmey Acher/Sun Race hubs. How strong are they
> and what are they like at keeping crud out? Im mainly looking at a replacement for my MTB commuter
> bike and also for my single speed (yes I know it wont be a single speed any more but for when Ive
> got the kiddie seat on the back)

We have a fairly large number (50-60) of Sachs (SRAM) Super Seven gearboxes and a few Nexus out
there giving great service. They have proven tough and well sealed. They also have a distinct
advantage over the Shimano unit in ease of wheel removal for changing a flat. The German hub control
box is truly inspired with an effective no-tools positive engagement that leaves no room for error.

Service problem have been few. Two Nexus with salt water corrosion inside from excessively harsh
riding environment ( no permanent damage after a cleaning and relube) and one Sachs coaster brake
model that was ridden without a bolt in the brake arm and promptly snapped an axle in half.

If you're looking at a new gearbox, note that SRAM has changed the supplied sprocket from a sensible
and useful 24t to a smaller 18t this year. That can be changed but they intended a small chainring
as on new bikes like the Bianchi Bergamo. There's also just one current control lever now- a twist
grip. Some clever
r.b.t. netizens have arranged stub-handlebar mountings on the side of the stem and elsewhere. A
perusal of our archives will show you some alternate shifter positions.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.