Internal gear hubs sealed for rain?

Jun 6, 2006
Does anyone have any experience commuting with a newer Nexus or Sturmey hub in the rain?

I was formerly of the opinion that thick grease would not allow grit to migrate into a hub with dust caps but no seals but it seems not to work that way.

Has anyone put a lot of miles on these things in rainy weather? Or maybe repacked one and observed whether or not they have good seals?

jawnn

Nov 17, 2003
I know some one that had one of he cheap hubs and it didn't last long. Bad seal, dirt, no good.

garage sale GT said:
Does anyone have any experience commuting with a newer Nexus or Sturmey hub in the rain?

I was formerly of the opinion that thick grease would not allow grit to migrate into a hub with dust caps but no seals but it seems not to work that way.

Has anyone put a lot of miles on these things in rainy weather? Or maybe repacked one and observed whether or not they have good seals?

threaded

Jul 6, 2006
Every time they come out with some new geared hub I try it out, and a few weeks later get my money back.

Only thing I've found that can survive the power/torque/daily commuting punishment is a Rohloff.