International Flight with Bicycle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott Gordo, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    if this is standard practice.
    I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    listing of airlines that provide this service for free?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Tags:

  2. IT3

    IT3 Guest

    Are you using a CrateWorks bike box? Some airlines do not charge extra
    for it solely because it is below thier maximum dims and it does not
    look like a bike box. I HIGHLY reccomend one. I let the Military Cargo
    Handlers (not know for ebing "gentle") ship my SS from Memphis, TN to
    Kuwait via M.A.C. in one and despite thier best efforts they could not
    even damage the box, let alone the bike inside it.

  3. Scott Gordo writes:

    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not
    > sure if this is standard practice. I'm in the middle of choosing my
    > flights. Can anyone point out a listing of airlines that provide
    > this service for free?

    I didn't check it out and got reamed by Continental last year 2 x $80.
    When planning to book, ask the airline whether there is a charge. You
    can do this by email or phone if you look up their web site. I was
    never charges in the past. Times are getting tighter.

    Jobst Brandt

  4. Simon Cooper

    Simon Cooper Guest

    "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    I flew Virgin from Newark back to London last summer with a bike in a
    standard "as shipped to bike shop" box with no charges or even raised
    eyebrows.

    Despite the fact they could see into the box through handholds, they still
    wanted to x-ray it. Bet that showed them alot...

    I enquired of American to fly EWR-Indiana last year, and they said that
    would be OK in a box but not as a loose bike (they'd take it but charge).
    Flew London to Zurich about 5 years ago with a loose bike on EasyJet
    (usually one of the worst offenders at charging for anything non-standard)
    with no charges or trouble.

  5. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    IT3 wrote:
    > Are you using a CrateWorks bike box? Some airlines do not charge extra
    > for it solely because it is below thier maximum dims and it does not
    > look like a bike box. I HIGHLY reccomend one. I let the Military Cargo
    > Handlers (not know for ebing "gentle") ship my SS from Memphis, TN to
    > Kuwait via M.A.C. in one and despite thier best efforts they could not
    > even damage the box, let alone the bike inside it.

    I've used a regular, freebie bike box in the past without issue, though
    I'm considering something a little more heavy duty.

  6. eflayer2

    eflayer2 Guest

    I just flew British from SF to London and two mates were not charged
    extra for full size bike boxes. However we then flew Thompson Air from
    Palma Mallorca to London and they definitely have different rules.
    With Thompson there is a 44 pound checked weigt limit per person. So
    if your stuff and/or your bike take you over that limit there is an
    absurd charge per kilo after that. One small saving grace is they
    appear to have a special "low" price for sports equipment which I
    believe came to around $50. The arrangement to get the "special" rate
    must be made at the time you purchase your ticket. We tried to get a
    Spanish taxi to take a full size bike travel case and they would not
    consider it. Bottom line: get your connections straight before you
    need to.

  7. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Scott Gordo writes:
    >
    > > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not
    > > sure if this is standard practice. I'm in the middle of choosing my
    > > flights. Can anyone point out a listing of airlines that provide
    > > this service for free?

    > I didn't check it out and got reamed by Continental last year 2 x $80.
    > When planning to book, ask the airline whether there is a charge. You
    > can do this by email or phone if you look up their web site. I was
    > never charges in the past. Times are getting tighter.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt

    Will do. Continental is one of the front runners right now. Was the
    cost based on it being a bicycle, box dimensions, or was it a weight
    penalty?

    Scott

  8. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Scott Gordo writes:
    > >
    > > > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > > > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not
    > > > sure if this is standard practice. I'm in the middle of choosing my
    > > > flights. Can anyone point out a listing of airlines that provide
    > > > this service for free?

    > > I didn't check it out and got reamed by Continental last year 2 x $80.
    > > When planning to book, ask the airline whether there is a charge. You
    > > can do this by email or phone if you look up their web site. I was
    > > never charges in the past. Times are getting tighter.
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt

    > Will do. Continental is one of the front runners right now. Was the
    > cost based on it being a bicycle, box dimensions, or was it a weight
    > penalty?
    >
    > Scott

    Just got off the phone. MF'ers. $80 each way for a 22lb road bike +
    box.

    /s

  9. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:19:09 -0500, "Simon Cooper" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I enquired of American to fly EWR-Indiana last year, and they said that
    >would be OK in a box but not as a loose bike (they'd take it but charge).
    >Flew London to Zurich about 5 years ago with a loose bike on EasyJet
    >(usually one of the worst offenders at charging for anything non-standard)
    >with no charges or trouble.

    Easyjet charges for a bike or skis, but it's fairly reasonably priced at
    25 eur per flight.

    Jasper

  10. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?

    LAW used to have an arrangement for free bicycle transport with several
    airlines, but it appears as if only Frontier Airlines still
    participates, which doesn't help you much.

  11. >> I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    >> full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not
    >> sure if this is standard practice. I'm in the middle of choosing my
    >> flights. Can anyone point out a listing of airlines that provide
    >> this service for free?

    > I didn't check it out and got reamed by Continental last year 2 x $80.
    > When planning to book, ask the airline whether there is a charge. You
    > can do this by email or phone if you look up their web site. I was
    > never charges in the past. Times are getting tighter.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt

    Was there a domestic leg on your flight? Could be that it didn't matter, but
    I've heard that some people have had issues when their flight started on a
    US-US leg before heading overseas (for example, San
    Francisco/Chicago/Paris). Every airline that I know of charges for domestic
    flights, but some report that they have been mistakenly charged for the
    domestic portion of an International flight because somebody didn't know
    the rules.

    Having said that, I think it's safe to assume that airlines will be charging
    for bicycles on International flights as normal policy in the near future.
    Revenue enhancement.

    By the way, whatever you hear on the phone when you call doesn't hold much
    weight when you're at the counter. If there's something on the website,
    print it out. Even then someone might argue it with you, and like it or not,
    the Gate Agent is King or Queen. Always best to be pleasant with them.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  12. > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    Scott: Whether they charge you or not, watch the new weight limits!!! It's
    not like the old days, where you could pile all sorts of other stuff into
    the box. Most airlines have already adopted a 50lb weight limit (unless you
    have "status" with the airline, in which case some allow up to 70, which
    used to be normal).

    One other thing to consider- some airports do their security searches right
    out on the floor, in front of everybody. CDG (Paris) is amazing this way.
    You might want to make sure that whatever you pack won't be embarassing when
    it's laid out on the floor in front of everybody. That might mean washing
    underwear (something several of the passengers at CDG most certainly hadn't
    considered).

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  13. Bjorn Haake

    Bjorn Haake Guest

    "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?

    I brought a bike with Lufthansa last year from Germany w/o charge. Regular
    bike store card board box.

  14. Scott Gordo writes:

    >>> I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in
    >>> a full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm
    >>> not sure if this is standard practice. I'm in the middle of
    >>> choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a listing of airlines
    >>> that provide this service for free?

    >> I didn't check it out and got reamed by Continental last year 2 x
    >> $80. When planning to book, ask the airline whether there is a
    >> charge. You can do this by email or phone if you look up their web
    >> site. I was never charges in the past. Times are getting tighter.

    > Will do. Continental is one of the front runners right now. Was the
    > cost based on it being a bicycle, box dimensions, or was it a weight
    > penalty?

    Bicycles, skis, and other sporting equipment gets this charge at
    Continental. They were just rude about it.

    Jobst Brandt

  15. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    If you join USA cycling .........

    Bike Voucher Program (United Airlines)
    Each current annual licensed USA Cycling member is eligible to receive
    two (2) FREE one-way bike vouchers ($160 value) per calendar year as a
    member benefit. VOUCHERS ARE AVAILABLE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST. These
    vouchers cannot be duplicated.

    Phil H

    "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

  16. Drew

    Drew Guest

    >> penalty?
    >>
    >> Scott

    > Just got off the phone. MF'ers. $80 each way for a 22lb road bike +
    > box.
    >
    > /s

    Maybe UPS is less expensive? That's if you have somewhere to send it...
    Drew

  17. Charles .

    Charles . Guest

    When using a cardboard bike shop box consider whether you can store it at
    your destination for the return trip.

    Once in France I had a hell of a time finding a box for my return leg. They
    said "using a bike box was an American thing". Since I was bike touring I
    did not have a place to store the box. Oh, yea the box packed with
    everything was 70.5 lbs. Free shipping on a Wash DC to JFK to Paris flight.
    "Bjorn Haake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > > if this is standard practice.
    > > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?

    > I brought a bike with Lufthansa last year from Germany w/o charge. Regular
    > bike store card board box.
    >

    > > Thanks,
    > > Scott

  18. OliverS

    OliverS Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    Try this link:

    http://www.gfarnsworth.com/BikeAccess/airlines.cfm

    We travel with S&S coupled bikes and have no problems, but I try to keep
    the cases under 50 pounds. You do have to check weight limits. Also,
    remember that these "parcels" are handled by human beings who have
    physical limitations. I am always amazed at people who want to stuff
    their bike boxes with extraneous stuff, and then want the airlines to
    handle 100 lb plus bike boxes gratis.

    Oliver S

    --
    Cheers! OliverS
    When replying personally, remove "_nospam_"

    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of
    the human race." HG Wells

  19. mark

    mark Guest

    "Scott Gordo" wrote ...
    > I'm planning on taking an overseas trip in May with my bicycle in a
    > full-sized box. I've done it once before and it was free. I'm not sure
    > if this is standard practice.
    > I'm in the middle of choosing my flights. Can anyone point out a
    > listing of airlines that provide this service for free?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    British Airways takes bikes as one of the two allowed pieces of checked
    luggage between North America and Europe, but they charge to take bikes on
    other routes where baggage allowances are calculated differently.

    Lufthansa does the same, they ask you to call their toll free line to
    reserve a spot for the bike. I was able to reserve a spot for my bike for a
    round trip with one connection each way with no problem. Apparently the toll
    free line goes to Germany, I was told "You must the drive stick sideways
    fix". Between knowing some German and having travelled with bikes before I
    was able to translate this as "turn the handlebars sideways".

    Various American carriers used to carry bikes free on flights to Europe but
    charge for domestic trips. They seem to have resolved that inconsistency by
    charging a stiff fee to take bikes on all flights.

    In 2000 I was able to buy a cardboard bike box in Gatwick airport for my
    return flight to Denver. In 2004 I was not able to buy a bike box at
    Heathrow, although the shop was operated by the same company. I'm guessing
    that buying your bike box in the airport is a thing of the past.

    Like everyone said, check the individual airline's websites and print out a
    copy of the web page. If your flight involves multiple airlines, check all
    the airline's websites, you will probably be bound by the stricter set of
    regulations.
    --
    mark

  20. > Maybe UPS is less expensive? That's if you have somewhere to send it...
    > Drew

    Uh... that's a big negative. UPS is generally in the $240+ range. Ouch!

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA