International Pi Day -- 300th Anniversary of Pi

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Dole, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Bob Dole

    Bob Dole Guest

    Where would bicycles be if radii (spokes) were unconnected to
    circumferences (rims)?

    Today is International Pi Day (3/14 if you write dates as month/day).

    If you are in the southern U.S., celebrate by having a Moon Pi as a
    snack. Then get those bike wheels turning.

    This year marks the 300th anniversary of pi.

    The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet, pi, was first used for the
    familiar value 3.14... in the publication, "Synopsis Palmariorium
    Mathesios", authored by William Jones in 1706.
     
    Tags:


  2. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Bob Dole wrote:
    > Where would bicycles be if radii (spokes) were unconnected to
    > circumferences (rims)?
    >
    > Today is International Pi Day (3/14 if you write dates as month/day).
    >
    > If you are in the southern U.S., celebrate by having a Moon Pi as a
    > snack. Then get those bike wheels turning.
    >
    > This year marks the 300th anniversary of pi.
    >
    > The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet, pi, was first used for the
    > familiar value 3.14... in the publication, "Synopsis Palmariorium
    > Mathesios", authored by William Jones in 1706.
    >

    3.141592654......forever. It is a non-repeating infinite length number.
    The Greek alphabet is used by all sciences, both small and capital
    letters meaning something, but different sciences often have different
    meanings, which makes it confusing for somebody who is
    multi-disciplinary, like me.
    AAAARRGGGHH.
    Bill
    I wonder if anyone invented bicycles in the B.C. days and history lost
    the fact?
     
  3. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snippage of pi facts>

    Another pi fact from the gene pool that brought you such politicos as
    Dan Quayle:

    Indiana state legislature tried to legislate pi to be = to 3. Given
    that act of sheer genius, I am surprised that they can comprehend
    numbers at all.

    And WTF is a hoosier? I think they just mis-spelled "hoser".

    D'ohBoy
     
  4. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:
    > <snippage of pi facts>
    >
    > Another pi fact from the gene pool that brought you such politicos as
    > Dan Quayle:


    I sure hope that Quayles pool ends.
    >
    > Indiana state legislature tried to legislate pi to be = to 3. Given
    > that act of sheer genius, I am surprised that they can comprehend
    > numbers at all.


    I didn't go there, that God (Allah?). Political correctness???
    >
    > And WTF is a hoosier? I think they just mis-spelled "hoser".


    It's what Arkansas college jocks call themselves.
    I don't know why.
    Bill
    >
    > D'ohBoy
    >
     
  5. landotter

    landotter Guest

    May I have an RC with my pie, mister?
     
  6. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:


    > Another pi fact from the gene pool that brought you such politicos as
    > Dan Quayle:
    >
    > Indiana state legislature tried to legislate pi to be = to 3. Given
    > that act of sheer genius, I am surprised that they can comprehend
    > numbers at all.


    > D'ohBoy
    >


    Almost as idiotic as the people who post BS to newsgroups and call it a
    fact.

    http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm
     
  7. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

  8. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:

    > <snip DS's BS>
    >
    > Sorry - it was 3.2 they were trying to legislate as the value. See the
    > link below:
    >
    > http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/crd/Localgov/Second Level pages/indiana_pi_bill.htm
    >
    > Almost as idiotic as those who mistake Arkansas for Indiana.
    >
    > D'ohBoy
    >


    Sorry, mine wasn't the best link, but it did talk about the Indiana Pi
    bill. I didn't mistake Indiana for Arkansas.

    Actually the bill would have allowed three legal alternatives and it was
    over 100 years ago so your Dan Quayle reference was off the mark too
    (not that I'd defend him).

    (1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to
    4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2

    (2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4
    the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see
    that pi must be equal to 4.

    (3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a
    segment connecting the arc's two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi
    equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.
     
  9. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snip my rebuttal>

    C'mon, Diablo, the ferocity of your assault upon my intellect and
    character is such that you must have something.

    Or maybe you've got nothing and you're just another a**hole like
    Sornson.

    I vote for the latter.

    D'ohBoy
     
  10. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:

    > <snip my rebuttal>
    >
    > C'mon, Diablo, the ferocity of your assault upon my intellect and
    > character is such that you must have something.
    >
    > Or maybe you've got nothing and you're just another a**hole like
    > Sornson.
    >
    > I vote for the latter.
    >
    > D'ohBoy
    >


    I'll let you get the last word and won't respond to your next post out
    of respect for Pi.

    1. You insulted all of Indiana for something that happened over a
    hundred years ago.
    2. You erred in your details and characterization of the Indiana Pi bill.
    3. I apologize for insulting your intellect, I intended only to attack
    your post.
    4. I "have nothing" if by that you mean to imply a disease or ill will
    toward you.
    5. I'm neither a bung hole nor anything like Sorni (as far as I can
    infer from his posts).
     
  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:
    > <snip my rebuttal>
    >
    > C'mon, Diablo, the ferocity of your assault upon my intellect and
    > character is such that you must have something.
    >
    > Or maybe you've got nothing and you're just another a**hole like
    > Sornson.
    >
    > I vote for the latter.


    Definition of an a-hole to DoughBoiy: anyone who disagrees with him and/or
    has conservative leanings (IOW doesn't detest Bush).

    He called you on your shit. Buck up and take it like a man, Bloghead.

    Bill "hooked but WTF" S.
     
  12. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snippage of BS's lack of reading skills>

    Hey, Dumbass Bill -

    Long time, no confrontation! Kisses to you, buddy!

    Note that Diablo was quick to note that he is nothing like you nor a
    bung hole.

    Working that equation:

    Diablo <> bung hole
    Diablo <> Sornson
    By the invert transitive property of bungholiness, Sornson = bunghole!

    You do the math!

    Thanks, Diablo.

    D'ohBoy
     
  13. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:
    > <snip DS's BS>
    >
    > Sorry - it was 3.2 they were trying to legislate as the value. See the
    > link below:
    >
    > http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/crd/Localgov/Second Level pages/indiana_pi_bill.htm
    >
    > Almost as idiotic as those who mistake Arkansas for Indiana.
    >
    > D'ohBoy
    >

    Hoosiers = Indiana.
    Razorbacks = Arkansas.
    ?????
    I don't follow sports other than cycling so I may have screwed up.
    Bill (rider, not couch potato) Baka
     
  14. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snip evidence of my rudeness>

    Diablo Scott:

    I apologize for insulting Indiana in general.

    I already admitted I erred in *ONE* minor detail.

    You asserted that the gist of my story (that a state legislature
    attempted to alter the laws of nature through legislation) was a myth.
    That, on the other hand, was 100% wrong.

    100 years ago? This is an established natural value. Pi has been a
    known quantity in the west for many, many multiples of that and
    thousands of years in the east.

    You have nothing = your argument/assertion is baseless (which it
    actually wasn't in the fine print, but was in the general sense).

    And no, you are NOT a bung hole. But Sornson is.

    D'ohBoy
     
  15. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Diablo Scott wrote:
    > D'ohBoy wrote:
    >
    >> <snip DS's BS>
    >>
    >> Sorry - it was 3.2 they were trying to legislate as the value. See the
    >> link below:
    >>
    >> http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/crd/Localgov/Second Level pages/indiana_pi_bill.htm
    >>
    >>
    >> Almost as idiotic as those who mistake Arkansas for Indiana.
    >>
    >> D'ohBoy
    >>

    >
    > Sorry, mine wasn't the best link, but it did talk about the Indiana Pi
    > bill. I didn't mistake Indiana for Arkansas.
    >
    > Actually the bill would have allowed three legal alternatives and it was
    > over 100 years ago so your Dan Quayle reference was off the mark too
    > (not that I'd defend him).
    >
    > (1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to
    > 4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2
    >
    > (2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4
    > the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see
    > that pi must be equal to 4.
    >
    > (3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a
    > segment connecting the arc's two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi
    > equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.


    All of those are approximations. There is a guy in Japan who has
    memorized Pi to 32,000 + decimal places. No, I don't know why. The
    Japanese have a tendency to do weird things like that so they can claim
    superiority or something. I wonder if he knows anything else.
    Again, the Japanese claim to have worked out Pi to 100 million+ decimal
    places using a computer. Why, again.
    Bill
     
  16. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote:
    > <snippage of BS's lack of reading skills>
    >
    > Hey, Dumbass Bill -
    >
    > Long time, no confrontation! Kisses to you, buddy!
    >
    > Note that Diablo was quick to note that he is nothing like you nor a
    > bung hole.
    >
    > Working that equation:
    >
    > Diablo <> bung hole
    > Diablo <> Sornson
    > By the invert transitive property of bungholiness, Sornson = bunghole!
    >
    > You do the math!
    >
    > Thanks, Diablo.
    >
    > D'ohBoy
    >

    Can't you guys find your bikes and ride somewhere?
    Please.
    Someone else is finally bugging ME.
    Fancy that.
    Bill
     
  17. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    D'ough Nut Brain wrote:
    > <snippage of BS's lack of reading skills>


    This from a guy who first ignored what Diablo /actually wrote/ to reply with
    insults, and STILL hasn't addressed what he busted him on re. Quayle. (When
    your "sources" are blogs it's bound to happen.)

    C'mon, Doughless, admit it. YOU WERE WRONG AND WON'T ADMIT IT! Now just
    admit it.

    Admitted into evidence....hell, I'm going riding.
     
  18. D'ohBoy

    D'ohBoy Guest

    <snip further evidence of DAB's lack of reading comprehension skills>

    DUMBASS BILL:

    I WILL YELL SO PERHAPS YOU WILL UNDERSTAND. I LINKED QUAYLE TO A
    SUGGESTION OF A TAINTED GENE POOL IN INDIANA. WHICH PRODUCED PEOPLE
    WHO PRODUCED LEGISLATION INTENDED TO MODIFY THE VALUE OF A KNOWN
    CONSTANT.

    I ALREADY ADMITTED TWICE THAT MY ASSERTION CONTAINED A MINOR
    INACCURACY. THEY ACTUALLY WANTED TO MAKE IT EQUAL TO A NUMBER OF
    DIFFERENT VALUES. EVEN STUPIDER! ALMOST BILL SORNSON-LIKE, IF ANYONE
    ELSE COULD BE SO STUPID OR ASININE. BUT I DOUBT IT.

    DUMBASS.

    D'ohBoy
     
  19. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    D'ohBoy wrote (as ALWAYS snipping that which he cannot or will not answer or
    address):

    {Kinda leaves nuthin', doesn't it.}

    Dear Reader can peruse the thread and see how you /misread/ what Diablo
    wrote and insulted him; brought my name into it with your crude, personal,
    unprovoked remarks ("invectives"! Wah!); AND repeatedly avoided answering
    at least one direct point by trimming it from your replies.

    You're hypocritical at best and dishonest at...well, most.

    No big deal.

    BS
     
  20. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > D'ohBoy wrote:
    >> <snip DS's BS>
    >>
    >> Sorry - it was 3.2 they were trying to legislate as the value. See the
    >> link below:
    >>
    >> http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/crd/Localgov/Second Level pages/indiana_pi_bill.htm
    >>
    >> Almost as idiotic as those who mistake Arkansas for Indiana.
    >>
    >> D'ohBoy
    >>

    > Hoosiers = Indiana.
    > Razorbacks = Arkansas.


    I'll second that, since I live mere miles from Indiana and lived over a
    decade in Arkansas.

    And Pi r not square, pie are round. <GD&RRF>

    Actually it's real easy to confuse Arkansas and Indiana. They are a lot
    alike, except one's below the Mason/Dixon line and one is not. . . .

    (I'm also told Mississippi and Wisconsin have their similarities, too.)

    Charles of Schaumburg
    > ?????
    > I don't follow sports other than cycling so I may have screwed up.
    > Bill (rider, not couch potato) Baka
     
Loading...
Loading...