International Pi Day -- 300th Anniversary of Pi

Damn. I remember how I was actually writing a porfram in '96 to simplify to
calculation. I screwed up somewhere along the line and never went back to it
:( Dropped math as a major picked up philosophy and ended up in medschool.
That's the power of pI!

n5hsr wrote:

>>>Do you ham, perchance? I have a friend down near Momence that operates
>>>bicycle mobile a lot. . .
>>>
>>>Charles of Schaumburg

>>I was but stopped at Morse code. I do SWL with one of 6 vintage receivers,
>>all tubes except a 1973 marine RDF. I have Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, RME
>>RF pre-amps (rare) and more. From 1971 to 1981 I held an FCC first class
>>radiotelephone engineers license with radar, but let it lapse when I went
>>into design engineering. I listen to foreign news, mostly BBC and ABC
>>(Australia) with the occasional Taiwan, Canada, Japan, Russia, or other
>>thrown in. Funny how they mention what the United States is doing from
>>their point of view a lot. This is where Bush supporters will jump me so
>>that's all on the news. I listen to Canada and France in French for
>>practice since I am in California and fat chance of finding someone speak
>>French here.
>>Electronics for work and hobby.
>>Bill

> I started out as an SWL in 1979. Got my ticket in '85. Had a bit of
> advantage, my dad had to learn Morse in '51, so he got us to learn most of
> it. He also held a 3d phone endorsed, back when they had such things. . . .
>
> There is a gentleman in Momance K9FO that operates bicycle mobile a lot, I
> think he's on 2m and 440 these days.. And I think they are seriously
> thinking about dropping the code requirement this year.

I may go for it after code is dropped but may also learn code just to do
it. 2m and 440 gets me no more than about a half mile around here, Tried
it once but I am in the country. I did have a chat with a fellow in
Jamaica on CB, no less, 5 Watts ERP, winter, seriously big antenna, but
good for only 27 MHz.
Many interests but not much time.
Funny how we didn't value time when we were younger.
Bill

Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote in news:avERf.56554$Jd.26920
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

> I wonder if anyone invented bicycles in the B.C. days and history lost
> the fact?

One day I was riding my 'bent and stopped to look at the view and have a
smoke. Some guy came up to me and said that the Romans had those kinds of
bicycles, and had a list of citations which I promptly dismissed and then
forgot. I couldn't imagine anyone having gear and pedal technology and not
using it to replace the trireme.

--ag

Andy Gee wrote:
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote in news:avERf.56554$Jd.26920
> @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
>

>>I wonder if anyone invented bicycles in the B.C. days and history lost
>>the fact?

> One day I was riding my 'bent and stopped to look at the view and have a
> smoke. Some guy came up to me and said that the Romans had those kinds of
> bicycles, and had a list of citations which I promptly dismissed and then
> forgot. I couldn't imagine anyone having gear and pedal technology and not
> using it to replace the trireme.
>
> --ag

Uh huh,
Reverse trolling me.
Bill

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:44:05 -0800, Diablo Scott
<[email protected]> wrote:

>D'ohBoy wrote:
>

>> Another pi fact from the gene pool that brought you such politicos as
>> Dan Quayle:
>>
>> Indiana state legislature tried to legislate pi to be = to 3. Given
>> that act of sheer genius, I am surprised that they can comprehend
>> numbers at all.

>> D'ohBoy
>>

>Almost as idiotic as the people who post BS to newsgroups and call it a
>fact.
>
>http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

From that page:

> In 1897 the Indiana House of Representatives unanimously passed
> a measure redefining the area of a circle and the value of pi.
> (House Bill no. 246, introduced by Rep. Taylor I. Record.) The bill
> died in the state Senate.

Not entirely BS, just out of date.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:19:10 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Diablo Scott wrote:
>> D'ohBoy wrote:
>>
>>> <snip DS's BS>
>>>
>>> Sorry - it was 3.2 they were trying to legislate as the value. See the
>>> link below:
>>>
>>> http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/crd/Localgov/Second Level pages/indiana_pi_bill.htm
>>>

>>> Almost as idiotic as those who mistake Arkansas for Indiana.
>>>
>>> D'ohBoy
>>>

>> Sorry, mine wasn't the best link, but it did talk about the Indiana Pi
>> bill. I didn't mistake Indiana for Arkansas.
>>
>> Actually the bill would have allowed three legal alternatives and it was
>> over 100 years ago so your Dan Quayle reference was off the mark too
>> (not that I'd defend him).
>>
>> (1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to
>> 4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2
>>
>> (2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4
>> the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see
>> that pi must be equal to 4.
>>
>> (3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a
>> segment connecting the arc's two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi
>> equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.

>All of those are approximations. There is a guy in Japan who has
>memorized Pi to 32,000 + decimal places. No, I don't know why. The
>Japanese have a tendency to do weird things like that so they can claim
>superiority or something. I wonder if he knows anything else.
>Again, the Japanese claim to have worked out Pi to 100 million+ decimal
>places using a computer. Why, again.

There is a distributed computing project to derive pi to many more
places than 10e9; they were past 1.24x10e13 when their page was last
updated. http://www.pislice.com/wiki/Main_Page

There's a Wikipedia page with pi to 200,000,000 places.

They do it because it's possible.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:46:35 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There is a distributed computing project to derive pi to many more
>places than 10e9; they were past 1.24x10e13 when their page was last
>updated. http://www.pislice.com/wiki/Main_Page

Correction: The record they propose to break is that pi has been
derived to over 1.24x10e13 places by a different project; the pislice
project is still stalled in client development.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:44:05 -0800, Diablo Scott
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>D'ohBoy wrote:
>>

>>>Another pi fact from the gene pool that brought you such politicos as
>>>Dan Quayle:
>>>
>>>Indiana state legislature tried to legislate pi to be = to 3. Given
>>>that act of sheer genius, I am surprised that they can comprehend
>>>numbers at all.

>>>D'ohBoy
>>>

>>Almost as idiotic as the people who post BS to newsgroups and call it a
>>fact.
>>
>>http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

Yeah like the church is always right. That's why we had over 1000 years
of stagnation. Any discoveries the Pope didn't like usually ended in a
not too pleasant execution. Galileo included I think.

> From that page:
>

>>In 1897 the Indiana House of Representatives unanimously passed
>>a measure redefining the area of a circle and the value of pi.
>>(House Bill no. 246, introduced by Rep. Taylor I. Record.) The bill
>>died in the state Senate.

> Not entirely BS, just out of date.

Yeah, bit it was a real article in a real newspaper archive so it must
have happened. Can you see NASA calculating a trajectory to Mars using 3.0?
For good or bad the church does not like anyone to question them.
Witness the new uproar over evolution and hee hee 'intelligent design'.
Are those T-Rex bones fakes planted by God?
The world is just getting more nuts.
Fun to watch.
Bill Baka

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:19:10 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Diablo Scott wrote:

>>>Sorry, mine wasn't the best link, but it did talk about the Indiana Pi
>>>bill. I didn't mistake Indiana for Arkansas.
>>>
>>>Actually the bill would have allowed three legal alternatives and it was
>>>over 100 years ago so your Dan Quayle reference was off the mark too
>>>(not that I'd defend him).
>>>
>>>(1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to
>>>4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2
>>>
>>>(2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4
>>>the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see
>>>that pi must be equal to 4.
>>>
>>>(3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a
>>>segment connecting the arc's two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi
>>>equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.

>>All of those are approximations. There is a guy in Japan who has
>>memorized Pi to 32,000 + decimal places. No, I don't know why. The
>>Japanese have a tendency to do weird things like that so they can claim
>>superiority or something. I wonder if he knows anything else.
>>Again, the Japanese claim to have worked out Pi to 100 million+ decimal
>>places using a computer. Why, again.

> There is a distributed computing project to derive pi to many more
> places than 10e9; they were past 1.24x10e13 when their page was last
> updated. http://www.pislice.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> There's a Wikipedia page with pi to 200,000,000 places.
>
> They do it because it's possible.

That might equate to a micron off on a Pluto landing. Maybe just an
atom's width.
Sheesh.
Bill

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>>I was but stopped at Morse code. I do SWL with one of 6 vintage
>>>receivers, all tubes except a 1973 marine RDF. I have Hallicrafters,
>>>Hammarlund, RME RF pre-amps (rare) and more. From 1971 to 1981 I held an
>>>FCC first class radiotelephone engineers license with radar, but let it
>>>lapse when I went into design engineering. I listen to foreign news,
>>>mostly BBC and ABC (Australia) with the occasional Taiwan, Canada, Japan,
>>>Russia, or other thrown in. Funny how they mention what the United States
>>>is doing from their point of view a lot. This is where Bush supporters
>>>will jump me so that's all on the news. I listen to Canada and France in
>>>French for practice since I am in California and fat chance of finding
>>>someone speak French here.
>>>Electronics for work and hobby.
>>>Bill

>> I started out as an SWL in 1979. Got my ticket in '85. Had a bit of
>> advantage, my dad had to learn Morse in '51, so he got us to learn most
>> of it. He also held a 3d phone endorsed, back when they had such things.
>> . . .
>>
>> There is a gentleman in Momance K9FO that operates bicycle mobile a lot,
>> I think he's on 2m and 440 these days.. And I think they are seriously
>> thinking about dropping the code requirement this year.

> I may go for it after code is dropped but may also learn code just to do
> it. 2m and 440 gets me no more than about a half mile around here, Tried
> it once but I am in the country. I did have a chat with a fellow in
> Jamaica on CB, no less, 5 Watts ERP, winter, seriously big antenna, but
> good for only 27 MHz.
> Many interests but not much time.
> Funny how we didn't value time when we were younger.
> Bill

My cousin started out on 11m and moved over to the ham bands later.

We didn't value time when we were younger because we didn't have what we
thought were important things to do. Important to us was riding our bike,
reading a book, talking to someone on the radio. The work thing wasn't so
important. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg