International Pricing on Trek Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by pubtourer, Oct 1, 2007.

1. pubtourer

pubtourer New Member

I am in the process of buying a touring bike and am pretty well decided on either the Trek 520 or Surly LHT. My problem is the price that dealers here in Australia want for the Trek - AUD2300 (~USD2020). That seems excessive for a bike that sells for around the $1000 mark at home.

I note that Trek has a policy of prohibiting its dealers from selling by mail/phone/internet:
    "Trek Bicycle Corporation does not authorize our retailers to sell new or used Trek product over the Internet or by mail order. . . . "
    I know what size I need and I can pay freight and for my LBS to set it up for me out of the $1000+ saving.

Any suggestions on how to get around this ridiculous mark-up?

Cheers

Tags:

2. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

You could get someone here in the US to purchase one for you, at the lower price, and ship it over to you. If you know exactly what you want (size and components) and are willing to pay the shipping, I don't see why someone wouldn't help you out.

3. dangerousbiker

dangerousbiker New Member

Good luck on that and I hope you will find someone to buy it for you.

4. pubtourer

pubtourer New Member

So, is there a bike store out there willing to help me around Trek's anti-competitive policy? PM me.

Thanks

5. dangerousbiker

How about ebay? I found a Trek 520, not sure if that's the one you
    want. Good luck

6. pubtourer

pubtourer New Member

Haven't had any luck on ebay. The asking price for used bikes here, when they come up, is as high or higher than the new price in the States (a reflection of the inflated new price, I suppose).

I would expect to see a few 2007 models coming up on sale (or "close out" as our American cousins call it), given that it is fast approaching the end on the season in the northern hemisphere. I could almost pay for a trip to the States with the amount that I would save in buying it there!

7. dangerousbiker

Yeah, you might as well go to the US, have a vacation and buy it lol. Good luck on that coming up sale so. Be the first one to check