Internet bike buying experience

neil2010

Mar 13, 2010
After considerable research, I recently purchased a '10 Talon SL from commuterbikestore.com. Although buying something this expensive "sight unseen" can be stressful and risky, I had a great experience. First and foremost, the staff was available by phone to answer my questions and guide me through this potentially daunting process. During every encounter, I found them to be courteous, patient, friendly and helpful! My experiences with other internet sellers were not at all satisfying. Many don't have the time, interest or personnel to talk to their customers, but rather limit their assistance to short inadequate e-mail responses. I consider it a right not a privilege to be able to speak to a "human" when I am considering making a several thousand dollar purchase! The staff at commuterbikestore.com gave me an excellent price on a new current model bicycle. The bike arrived on time, assembled 90+% and in perfect condition. Several post-purchase questions were answered promptly and effectively by the staff at commuterbikestore.com and their mechanics at Chclefit-Bustleton bikes, conveniently located in Wallingford PA, close to the Kestrel headquarters.
As a consumer, I am writing this simply to share my very positive experiences, and to urge anyone interested in a Kestrel to give communterbikestore.com a try.

I buy plenty of items online these days, both shop websites and ebay. I'll go to my LBS when I need big things like complete bikes or something in a hurry, otherwise online shopping has worked well for me.

commuterbikestore.com sound like they're worth keeping in mind.

Thanks for your input Steve. Certainly having personal "neighborhood TLC" as can be provided by a LBS is an attractive and simple option, but the often significant savings offered through the internet can be even more appealing (especially in these recessionary times). Of course, there are risks and potential headaches with internet purchases, but my experience with commuterbikestore.com and their associates at Cyclefit-Bustleton bikes was exceptional! Hopefully, others will have the same impression. Whatever the case may be, our goal should be to honestly help each other fulfill our common hobby.

Honestly curious, and I don't want to cause any turmoil, but for those of you who have purchased bikes on line (particularly new bikes), what has been the reaction or treatment experience you've found when you go to an LBS for help?

I'd like to think they'd welcome the opportunity to make some service $$, but was wondering if there's ever any resentment over not buying a bike from them?

Bill

I live in New York City where we have an abundance of LBS. I have found that the smaller stores, that do not stock high end bikes, are very happy to take care of you. In this economy everyone is hustling to stay afloat and they welcome the money they can make selling accessories, performing tune-ups, changing tires, etc. In smaller areas there are less options but my guess is that most places could use the extra business.

Thanks Neil, kinda what I was hoping the situation might be.

Not ready to try it myself yet, but it may be a player for me down the road, especially if we wind up living off the beaten path somewhat.

I think its easier when you know what kind of bike you want,you know your fit and measurement then you could just buy a bike online and just set it up yourself. I just purchased a bike this off season and i purchased it from a small bike shop that was very local. They don't sell many expensive road bikes and they did a horrible job setting up my bike to the point that they broke my shifter. I had to contact the manufacturer and they assured me that they would replace the shifter and refund me any labor charges so i ended up taking my new bike to another (higher end) bikeshop in the city to fix my problem. when i was shopping for a bike i visited this higher end store and they gave me a good price on a bike but i decided to support the local guy and save some more money and i got burned. My bike is riding fine and i had to get re-fitted because everything was off. So its not always a good idea to go local.