INTERNET OR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

roubaixjoe

Dec 3, 2009
I've always supported the LBS (local bike shops) usually the one that is actually the farthest from my house but has always given me the best service, but I do purchase other items from the closer shops as needed.....but the moral question.
I'm looking at a new Selle Italia Max Flite gel team saddle and only one LBS even has one at $199.00 plus tax, the other shops say they can special order one. But I can buy one online for $149.00 with free shipping, thats over a $50 savings. Would I be wrong in buying the saddle online? :confused::confused::confused:

No, only a lot of research on saddles and peoples ratings and remarks. None of the LBS even though they're listed as a Selle Italia retailer have the test program where you can ride one for a while to see, thats my other delima

You support your LBS when you can, this is a matter of $50+. I dont have the budget for a $50 tip, maybe you do. If you know that's the saddle you want I would personally get it online which then you can use that $50 at your LBS in the near future. That's just my .02

roubaixjoe said:
.....but the moral question.

Just do what you gotta do. Looking to internet strangers for morality will likely just get you grief either way you decide. :rolleyes:

If someone helps you, you should try to help them back. When and how is completely up to you.

I'll tell you what my LBS of choice says. They say they expect customers to look for the best deals. They say if a customer buys online, they'll still get the same service in-store, just as if the part had been purchased there.

I once was chastised there for wanting to order something through the shop. They said don't be stupid: get it online. It's their attitude and acumen that keeps me going back there.

Look, the economy is circling the drain, and it seems everyone's a bit short on deneros. Save some cash if you can, if you're so inclined, and buy online.

bianchi10 said:
You support your LBS when you can, this is a matter of $50+. I dont have the budget for a $50 tip, maybe you do. If you know that's the saddle you want I would personally get it online which then you can use that $50 at your LBS in the near future. That's just my .02

That's the way I do it too.

roubaixjoe said:
I'm looking at a new Selle Italia Max Flite gel team saddle and only one LBS even has one at $199.00 plus tax, the other shops say they can special order one. But I can buy one online for $149.00 with free shipping, thats over a $50 savings.

$149 is a great deal for that saddle! I'm pretty sure they go for about $250 (aud) over here :eek:

For something like a saddle, it if were me, I would have no qualms about buying on the internet. However, I find that many LBS's are open to price negotiation. They may not go as low as on-line, but they might go low enough to make their price worth it.

Some bike shops actually have online stores as well.. I try to support my LBS as well, but up here in Winnipeg it's sometimes hard to even find stores with any kind of selection so it makes it easier to go online.

roubaixjoe said:
I'm looking at a new Selle Italia Max Flite gel team saddle and only one LBS even has one at $199.00 plus tax, the other shops say they can special order one. But I can buy one online for $149.00 with free shipping, thats over a $50 savings. Would I be wrong in buying the saddle online? :confused::confused::confused:

In case you've not used QBike, here are its results for your saddle.

roubaixjoe said:
I've always supported the LBS (local bike shops) usually the one that is actually the farthest from my house but has always given me the best service, but I do purchase other items from the closer shops as needed.....but the moral question.

Ok, as a bike shop owner. Do I get sweated up when somebody buys something online or MO, no. I understand the market, my shop is service based. I build bikes all the time with a frame and box of parts brought in. BUT generally speaking, if you buy it online, then have a problem with it, and I act as your warranty center, don't be upset that when they check the barcode, if it has one, and it was black or gray market, you don't have a warranty.

So, I applaud people that get good deals, BUT I 'may' call a manufacturer or distributor and mention that some online bike shop is selling below MSRP, and let them sort it out.

Peter@vecchios said:
BUT I 'may' call a manufacturer or distributor and mention that some online bike shop is selling below MSRP, and let them sort it out.
Perhaps in America, but I doubt that it is legal in Europe (for distributor).

catlike said:
Perhaps in America, but I doubt that it is legal in Europe (for distributor).

I hear that all the time and it's not illegal. A distributor can sell to anybody they wish, even in Europe. If a distributor wishes to NOT sell to bike shop ABC, they have that right also. It's NOT about price fixing, which is illegal. It's about picking your customers, as a distributor or manufacturer.

So, if ya buy a wad of SR 11s groups, and want to sell them for $10 each, go ahead BUT don't be surprised that when you want to reorder, they are 'out of stock' on what you need.

Peter@vecchios said:
I hear that all the time and it's not illegal. A distributor can sell to anybody they wish, even in Europe. If a distributor wishes to NOT sell to bike shop ABC, they have that right also. It's NOT about price fixing, which is illegal. It's about picking your customers, as a distributor or manufacturer.

So, if ya buy a wad of SR 11s groups, and want to sell them for $10 each, go ahead BUT don't be surprised that when you want to reorder, they are 'out of stock' on what you need.

But there are a lot of online stores that sells equipment well below the SMRP for years. It doesn't looks like Shimano or Compagnolo (or their distributors) are afecting them at all. Why? Because they sell a lot?

Peter@vecchios said:

If it's not about price fixing, they why does the distributor care what the retailer resells them for? If distributor makes its profit on the sale to the retailer, then why refuse to sell to them again (and make that profit again) *unless* it's about pressuring that particular retailer to step in line with what the others want to charge?

I mean, I get that that's just how it works, but in all honesty it's still price fixing, right? What am I missing that makes this about "picking your customers" when a distributor only picks customers who agree to re-sell near a certain fixed price level? That sounds more like a manufacture/distributor setting prices rather than allowing competition between resellers. :confused:

catlike said:
But there are a lot of online stores that sells equipment well below the SMRP for years. It doesn't looks like Shimano or Compagnolo (or their distributors) are afecting them at all. Why? Because they sell a lot?

Yeah, I don't think the manufacturers are being fooled by online retailers selling below MSRP. If it helps move legit product out to consumers then they're not going to clamp down too hard (and be conducting illegal activity in the process).

What should or shouldn't be the case really doesn't matter. The fact is that in the US, manufacturers can dictate to some degree what prices are posted for their products. The people that are being hurt by places continually selling under MSRP are LBS. If I were Peter, I'd do the same thing as him.

Everyone always forgets exactly how things go for LBS, especially as that means everyone gets their needs el cheapo, even if those prices are the result of unfair practices. Don't forget, unfair practices are defined by laws in each country (or by the EU), so what Peter does is perfectly fair.

alienator said:
What should or shouldn't be the case really doesn't matter.

If that doesn't matter to you, then feel free to step out of the conversation. If people wish to discuss how things could/should/would be then an internet forum like this is a perfect place to do so.

alienator said:
The fact is that in the US, manufacturers can dictate to some degree what prices are posted for their products. The people that are being hurt by places continually selling under MSRP are LBS. If I were Peter, I'd do the same thing as him.

Everyone always forgets exactly how things go for LBS, especially as that means everyone gets their needs el cheapo, even if those prices are the result of unfair practices. Don't forget, unfair practices are defined by laws in each country (or by the EU), so what Peter does is perfectly fair.

Hey, no one's accusing Peter of doing anything unfair or unlawful. What we're talking about is the *distributor's* actions after they receive a call from Peter informing them that another retailer is selling below MSRP. If distributors refusing to sell to online retailers who sell below MSRP were legal, then they would just refuse to sell the products instead of playing games like "oops, we're out of stock" or "oops, we lost your order."

If I forget exactly how things go for LBS, it's because I don't own an LBS. That's why an anonymous internet conversation about this kind of topic is a perfect way for many of us to understand the situation for LBS owners better. Personally, I'd like to hear Peter's honest take on things, including his opinions about what should or should not be, and that's why I asked the questions of him.

frenchyge said:
If that doesn't matter to you, then feel free to step out of the conversation. If people wish to discuss how things could/should/would be then an internet forum like this is a perfect place to do so.

It's nice that you misinterpreted that statement so that you could strike a defiant pose. Nice job. That's not at all what I intended, but hey: if you say it, it must be so.