Intersting SS home design

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
>
> Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....
>
> Steve E.

Heheheh - that's excellent! One thing - will he not be altering the head angle if he changes
gearing? Just curious if it will make much difference.

I like the 'idea'.

Shaun aRe

I'm stupid - Why are the forks on the wrong way ?

--
Tony

[email protected]

Remove the .fish after .com to reply --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º

><((((º> <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm stupid - Why are the forks on the wrong way ?

They appear to be Manitou forks. Manitou are using 'reverse arch technology', so, the arch is behind
the forks, but the forks are on the right way around.

Their 'marketing dept' line is that it makes the forks stiffer, _IIRC_, but in reality, copulation
knows whether it does or not, because I don't.

HTH Fish Boy!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> <((((º> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... I'm
>> stupid - Why are the forks on the wrong way ?
>
> They appear to be Manitou forks. Manitou are using 'reverse arch technology', so, the arch is
> behind the forks, but the forks are on the right way around.
>
> Their 'marketing dept' line is that it makes the forks stiffer, _IIRC_, but in reality, copulation
> knows whether it does or not, because I don't.
>

> HTH Fish Boy!
>

> Shaun aRe

my understanding was that at least with v-brakes there was an advantage for braking as well.
obviously since this is a diskie that dont matter, but there u go

panda

> ><((((º> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm stupid - Why are the forks on the wrong way ?
>
> They appear to be Manitou forks. Manitou are using 'reverse arch technology', so, the arch is
> behind the forks, but the forks are on the right way around.
>
> Their 'marketing dept' line is that it makes the forks stiffer, _IIRC_,
but
> in reality, copulation knows whether it does or not, because I don't.

Since most wheels are round the tyre is significantly lower behind the fork than in front, this
means the brace can be lower and therefore shorter and therefore stiffer. In theory. Pace had
reverse arches 10 years ago.

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > ><((((º> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm stupid - Why are the forks on the wrong way ?
> >
> > They appear to be Manitou forks. Manitou are using 'reverse arch technology', so, the arch is
> > behind the forks, but the forks are on the right way around.
> >
> > Their 'marketing dept' line is that it makes the forks stiffer, _IIRC_,
> but
> > in reality, copulation knows whether it does or not, because I don't.
>
> Since most wheels are round the tyre is significantly lower behind the
fork
> than in front, this means the brace can be lower and therefore shorter and therefore stiffer. In
> theory. Pace had reverse arches 10 years ago.

Cheers for the knowledgeable clarification Steve! I hadn't realised about the round wheel
thing..........

Shaun aRe

Oh !

and.....

Oh !

:)

Whadyl they think of next ?

--
Tony

[email protected]

Remove the .fish after .com to reply --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º

Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
> >
> > Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> > original
>
> Right. Why do something simple like horizontal dropouts when you can have a two-piece frame with
> bolts and sliders and pivots?

So he could easily run disc brakes and QR wheel without fiddling, and no doubt, a lot of it was just
for the 'something slightly different' project buzz.

I dunno, why does anyone do anything they don't have to do? Couldn't possibly have anything to do
with 'fun', could it?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
>
> Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....

Forget the bike...check out his 300 HP electric Porsche 350! Zero to 50 MPH in 5 seconds. I've been
saying for years that electrics could be very fast once mfr's start taking them seriously. Electric
motors provide full torque at all RPM's, so no need for a transmission. (That's why trains use 'em.)

-Barry

B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OqfPa.22624$OZ2.4053@rwcrnsc54...

> "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
> >
> > Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> > original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....
>
> Forget the bike...

What bike?

> check out his 300 HP electric Porsche 350! Zero to 50 MPH in 5 seconds.

That's a bit slow for 300 HP in a smallish car?!? Batteries (?sulpur sodium?) heavy are they?

> I've been saying for years that electrics could be very fast once mfr's start taking them
> seriously.

Yes, but how many miles between 'refills'?

Shaun aRe

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote

> So he could easily run disc brakes

integrity so that you can run a disc on the rear wheel. Whee!

> and QR wheel without fiddling,

Anybody who makes a singlespeed/QR/disc rear hub will be the first against the wall when the
revolution comes.

> 'something slightly different' project buzz.

'Something more than a little stupid', IMO.

CC

"spademan o---[) *" wrote:

> http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
>
> Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....
>
> Steve E.

What's the matter with the paint job? Could you do any better?

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > So he could easily run disc brakes
>

> integrity so that you can run a disc on the rear wheel. Whee!

Does it have any less structural integrity than the average XC FS frame? Looks just like an
experiment to me.

> > and QR wheel without fiddling,
>
> Anybody who makes a singlespeed/QR/disc rear hub will be the first against the wall when the
> revolution comes.
>
> > 'something slightly different' project buzz.
>
> 'Something more than a little stupid', IMO.
>
> CC

Maybe, maybe not - I suppose if the guy dies because of it, we'll never know............

Shaun aRe

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
>
> Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....
>
> Steve E.

Neat idea, especially if you travel a lot. I think I'd like a better mechanism mounting it to the
BB, but thats just me. And yeah, I gotta agree on the color scheme - lets see how many colors
there are.

Black, grey, silver. The normal ones. Yellow. Green Frame Greenish tires Deep red fork bright red
bottle cages turquoise seatpost collar dark blue seatbag blue grips purple headset....

icky. Still a cool idea, even if he doesn't have any fashion sense!

Jon Bond black, grey, and silver bike, with tiny red, yellow, and blue bits on component stickers.
(IE, shock, tires, rims...)

> Right. Why do something simple like horizontal dropouts when you can have a two-piece frame with
> bolts and sliders and pivots?
>
> CC

Maybe you missed the part about being to take it apart to travel?

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote

> Maybe you missed the part about being to take it apart to travel?

Quite so. I did miss that, which makes the whole project make _much_ more sense. Thanks for pointing
it out. Es culpa me.

CC

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.ohler.com/ss/obike/index.html
>
> Okay so it might not be a freeride bike, but at least he's had a go at designing something
> original and has managed to keep it simple looking. Dodgy paintjob though....
>
> Steve E.

The colours make the bike look so clownish I can't help feeling sorry for
it. Anyone know where he got the headset cap or was that a custom?

bloocow - vanity strikes