Interval training (sprints)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Germanrazor, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Active Member

Anyone else have a course that they routinely ride for sprint intervals only?

Tags:

2. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

I have a little course around a local industrial center I ride at night. It is used for local criteriums so I decided to ride there at night as it is safe, low traffic, and only other one around is a skunk or two. :D

There are a few segments on Strava that I have used to test myself. I hit 35 or so on the short segments of 100 yards or so. But really I find it actually silly that people want to test themselves on the downhills. So I created my own segment on the road leading up to that sprint. Only 45 seconds or so but I use it for intervals on days I want to push myself for a workout.

I only average 21 or so on that slight grade but it is more gratifying to me than hitting 35 on the downhill segment.

I only created it a couple weeks ago feeling silly that all the segments are on downhills. I'd rather work going up to build my strength.

Being a Clyesdale rider, I want to work on my weaknesses rather than my strengths. :D

3. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Did some on Wed night during my little 16 mile ride.

I created my strava segment uphill as mentioned, slight grade vs the opposite side where others created segment. Heck, everybody is fast on the downhill.

I did 4 that night"

1 at 21.8 average speed
    1 at 20.8
    1 at 21.3
    1 at 22.6 mph average speed setting a new PR for myself on that segment.

Only a minute long on each all out effort but sure makes a guy want to puke! :D

This is my face psyching myself up for the start of the effort.

DSCN2954.JPG

30 seconds after the effort when I can find the strength to reach my camera but still have
    the I want to puke face.

DSCN2958.JPG

Yes, I am a Fred, wearing MTB shoes. No really, my name is actually Fred! :D

DSCN2947.JPG