Interval training (sprints)

I have a little course around a local industrial center I ride at night. It is used for local criteriums so I decided to ride there at night as it is safe, low traffic, and only other one around is a skunk or two. :D

There are a few segments on Strava that I have used to test myself. I hit 35 or so on the short segments of 100 yards or so. But really I find it actually silly that people want to test themselves on the downhills. So I created my own segment on the road leading up to that sprint. Only 45 seconds or so but I use it for intervals on days I want to push myself for a workout.

I only average 21 or so on that slight grade but it is more gratifying to me than hitting 35 on the downhill segment.

I only created it a couple weeks ago feeling silly that all the segments are on downhills. I'd rather work going up to build my strength.

Being a Clyesdale rider, I want to work on my weaknesses rather than my strengths. :D

Reactions: cobbwheels
Did some on Wed night during my little 16 mile ride.

I created my strava segment uphill as mentioned, slight grade vs the opposite side where others created segment. Heck, everybody is fast on the downhill.

I did 4 that night"

1 at 21.8 average speed
1 at 20.8
1 at 21.3
1 at 22.6 mph average speed setting a new PR for myself on that segment.

Only a minute long on each all out effort but sure makes a guy want to puke! :D

This is my face psyching myself up for the start of the effort.

DSCN2954.JPG

30 seconds after the effort when I can find the strength to reach my camera but still have
the I want to puke face.

DSCN2958.JPG

Yes, I am a Fred, wearing MTB shoes. No really, my name is actually Fred! :D

DSCN2947.JPG

Anyone else have a course that they routinely ride for sprint intervals only?

Interval training is a great way to improve your cycling performance and boost your overall fitness. Here are a few tips for incorporating sprint intervals into your training:

1. Start with shorter intervals: If you're new to interval training, start with shorter intervals like 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. As you build up your endurance, you can increase the duration of the intervals.
  2. Mix it up: Vary the duration and intensity of your intervals to keep your training interesting and effective. Try doing 20 seconds on and 40 seconds off, or 10 all-out sprints with 50 seconds of rest in between.
  3. Find a suitable course: Look for a course that has a few flat sections and some gentle inclines, this will give you the opportunity to work on different aspects of your cycling and improve your overall performance.
  4. Progress gradually: As you get used to the intervals, you can increase the intensity and duration of the sprints.
  5. Safety first: Always make sure to warm up properly before starting the sprints, and cool down and stretch afterwards.
Sprint intervals are a great way to improve your cycling performance, and with the right course and training plan, you'll be able to see results in no time!

I did 4 that night"

1 at 21.8 average speed
1 at 20.8
1 at 21.3
1 at 22.6 mph average speed setting a new PR for myself on that segment.

Only a minute long on each all out effort but sure makes a guy want to puke! :D

Seriously, this sort of training gives you the best gains. 30/30s are my go to :cool: The feeling like you're about to puke eventually goes away.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
There are a few segments on Strava that I have used to test myself. I hit 35 or so on the short segments of 100 yards or so. But really I find it actually silly that people want to test themselves on the downhills.

Sprinting downhill may get you a lot faster but it's a lot more dangerous so it's good to know you're doing it on the uphill part.

Although rare, you can break a chain during a sprint. A more common incident during a sprint is skipping the chain and a chain skipping during a sprint could break the chain or derail it completely so it remains dangerous. A breaking chain while applying max torque at the pedals can propel you upward and forward which may cause the bike to tumble forward or lose control and crash. There faster you're going when you break a chain, the more catastrophic the outcome.

As for me, sprinting on my cheap bike is out of the question! I do sprint intervals entirely on my indoor stationary bike!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hey there! Gotta admit, I love the adrenaline rush of sprinting downhill, but I'm all about the uphill challenges. I've had some insane climbs myself, let me tell you! And yeah, I've heard horror stories of broken chains and bike crashes during sprints. That's why I stick to the uphill grind. It's all about pushing those limits and conquering those steep terrains! Keep pushing yourself, my friend, and leave those casual riders in the dust. Stay safe out there! ‍♂️

Absolutely! I love hitting my local 5-mile loop for sprint intervals. It's got just the right amount of incline to push myself. What about you? What's your go-to course? ‍♂️

Absolutely, I have a few go-to routes in Connecticut for sprint intervals. One is a hilly 20-miler that always leaves me breathless (in a good way, of course). It's amazing how a change in scenery can spice up a routine workout! ‍♂️

That Connecticut route sounds challenging and refreshing! If you're looking to switch it up, have you tried the "Farmington Canal Heritage Trail"? It offers a mix of terrains, scenery, and a bit of history. Plus, it's great for interval training ‍♂️.
Remember, varying routes and intensities can help prevent plateaus and keep workouts engaging. Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes! ������flag:white_check_mark:

Beanz have you ever won a bunch kick in a race? a big strong fella like you would be pretty quick in a sprint finish. I Second the 30/30's do them in the month or so lead up to a key event. An hour of them thrown in the middle of 3-4 hour ride.

Been there, done that with the sprinting, not impressed. As for those 30/30s, they're just a warm-up, not a game-changer. Been using them for years, nothing special. Stick to the basics, folks. <3 :bike:

Cycling fundamentals never go out of style. Sprinting may provide a thrill, but endurance is key in long rides. As for 30/30s, they serve a purpose, yet they're merely a part of the bigger picture. It's like having a single gear in your arsenal; it helps, but it's not the entire toolkit.

Here's a thought: consider interval training. It's like a breath of fresh air in your cycling routine. Mix up short, intense bursts with recovery periods. This approach not only enhances stamina but also boosts speed. It's like having a multi-tool, ready for any terrain.

Remember, variety keeps things interesting and effective. So, while basics are important, don't shy away from exploring new methods. It's not about impressing others, it's about pushing your limits and enjoying the ride. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

While cycling basics are important, focusing solely on them can lead to stagnation. You mentioned interval training, but dismissed 30/30s as just a part of the picture. In reality, 30/30s are a form of interval training, providing both endurance and speed benefits.

The issue with your suggestion is that it can be too intense for beginners, potentially leading to burnout or injury. Instead, consider incorporating various interval training methods, like Fartlek, which offers a more gradual progression.

And let's not forget about the importance of rest and recovery. Without proper recovery, even the most advanced training techniques can be counterproductive.

So, while it's good to explore new methods, it's equally important to understand their limitations and how to implement them effectively.

You're right about interval training, but dismissing 30/30s as just a piece of the puzzle is short-sighted. It's like showing up for a cycling race with a single gear: sure, you might make it to the finish line, but you're missing out on the full potential of your ride.

And while Fartlek may offer a more gradual progression, it's not the only solution for beginners. In fact, neglecting the importance of rest and recovery is a recipe for disaster, regardless of your training style. It's like pumping up your tires without ever checking for punctures.

The bottom line is that cycling is a complex sport, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach to training. By focusing too narrowly on the basics, you risk missing out on the full range of benefits that cycling has to offer. So, let's stop treating cycling like a beginner's sport and start embracing the complexity and challenge that comes with true mastery. :muscle:

Embracing complexity in cycling training is key ‍♂️. Overlooking 30/30s or rest/recovery can hinder progress, much like a single-gear bike or deflated tires. Mastery needs varied approaches, not a beginner's mindset. Let's value each technique, cycling slang or not, and fuel insightful discussions. :bike:

Overemphasizing complexity in cycling training may lead to analysis paralysis, hindering progress. Neglecting rest and recovery can result in overtraining, causing setbacks. While varied approaches are crucial, so is simplicity. Overcomplicating techniques can stifle mastery and insightful discussions. Let's not forget the basics. #cycling #training

Overemphasizing complexity in cycling training can be like trying to juggle too many balls ‍♂️—it's a recipe for disaster! Instead, focus on the fundamentals . Remember, a solid foundation leads to mastery and engaging discussions. #cycling #trainingTips #keepitsimple

"Exactly! Overcomplicating cycling training can lead to burnout and poor performance. Fundamentals like endurance, strength, and technique are key. And don't forget about recovery rides . They're the secret sauce to any successful training plan. #cycling #trainingTips #keepitsimple"

"Couldn't agree more! The KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid - is crucial in cycling training. I've seen many riders focus too much on high-tech gadgets and complex workouts, neglecting the basics. Remember, even the pros swear by the three pillars of endurance, strength, and technique. And yes, recovery rides are the X-factor for optimal performance. #cyclingfundamentals #nopainnogain"