interval training

Br

Guest
Probably a question that is easy to answer but ...

I'm planning on starting interval training and wondering how people keep track of their intervals
... which interval they are on, how much time left, how much time on the recovery/rest portion, etc.
I have a Polar S710 which allows for interval training but is limited in that it does not permit
intervals for fidderent lengths (i.e. some 60s intervals and some 90s intervals). I wish to do these
types of intervals but imagine that if I did, I'd get lost in where I was in the training session.
Any advice is appreciated.

Brian

"BR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Probably a question that is easy to answer but ...

I wish to do these types of intervals but imagine that if I
> did, I'd get lost in where I was in the training session. Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Brian

huh? dont try to make a new space shuttle. just create some repetitive type intervals and do them.
if you cant complete them they were too hard, if you can then slowly raise the bar...... keep it
simple, all this rocket science training stuff is over rated.....

In article <[email protected]>, BR <[email protected]> wrote:

> Probably a question that is easy to answer but ...
>
> I'm planning on starting interval training and wondering how people keep track of their intervals
> ... which interval they are on, how much time left, how much time on the recovery/rest portion,
> etc. I have a Polar S710 which allows for interval training but is limited in that it does not
> permit intervals for fidderent lengths (i.e. some 60s intervals and some 90s intervals). I wish to
> do these types of intervals but imagine that if I did, I'd get lost in where I was in the training
> session. Any advice is appreciated.

Don't let the watch control you. Get the laptime and speed to the display, when you start your work
interval hit the red button, it will beep while you start the work interval and the lap time will
display starting from zero, when the lap timer shows the end of your work interval press the red
button again, when the lap timer shows the end of your rest interval press the red button again.
Repeat as needed. Your graph will show the totals and averages during each interval.

As for what type of interval you do, there are many, and the correct choices depend on what stage of
your training you're in and what your goals are. There is alot of information about this included in
your S710 software.

-WG

warren <[email protected]> wrote:
: Don't let the watch control you. Get the laptime and speed to the display, when you start your
: work interval hit the red button, it will

Sounds quite handy :) So there is a real use for the lap times, while the actual interval function
remains useless (?).

: As for what type of interval you do, there are many, and the correct choices depend on what stage
: of your training you're in and what your goals are. There is alot of information about this
: included in your S710 software.

My understanding is you start off with low-intensity intervals. It's a kind of pyramid, as you
could view it. (Especially if you are more endurance oriented :). Off the top of my head, how
about a training session with 4 x 5 minute intervals, just above the lactase threshold? When you
are good enough with the lower level, you move up to next level of intensity, while decreasing
interval lenght.

> warren <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Don't let the watch control you. Get the laptime and speed to the display, when you start your
> : work interval hit the red button, it will
>
> Sounds quite handy :) So there is a real use for the lap times, while the actual interval function
> remains useless (?).
>
> : As for what type of interval you do, there are many, and the correct choices depend on what
> : stage of your training you're in and what your goals are. There is alot of information about
> : this included in your S710 software.
>
> My understanding is you start off with low-intensity intervals. It's a kind of pyramid, as you
> could view it. (Especially if you are more endurance oriented :). Off the top of my head, how
> about a training session with 4 x 5 minute intervals, just above the lactase threshold? When you
> are good enough with the lower level, you move up to next level of intensity, while decreasing
> interval lenght.

Normally you'll start off just BELOW LT, then build up to either longer work intervals and/or doing
the interval slightly above LT. I start off with 5 minute work/rest times 5, then shorten the rest
to 4 minutes, then go slightly above LT. Takes me about 5 weeks. Then I start doing 1 minute
intervals way over LT times 4-5 with 5 minutes rest interval. Depends on the goals.

-WG

For endurance, start with 4 x 5 min intervals around LT (stay within LT +/- 5bpm). Recover between
sets until your heart rate drops to around 40% LT. As you gain fitness, you will recover faster and
will naturally be able to do more or longer reps within the alloted time.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> warren <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Don't let the watch control you. Get the laptime and speed to the display, when you start your
> : work interval hit the red button, it will
>
> Sounds quite handy :) So there is a real use for the lap times, while the actual interval function
> remains useless (?).
>
> : As for what type of interval you do, there are many, and the correct choices depend on what
> : stage of your training you're in and what your goals are. There is alot of information about
> : this included in your S710 software.
>
> My understanding is you start off with low-intensity intervals. It's a kind of pyramid, as you
> could view it. (Especially if you are more endurance oriented :). Off the top of my head, how
> about a training session with 4 x 5 minute intervals, just above the lactase threshold? When you
> are good enough with the lower level, you move up to next level of intensity, while decreasing
> interval lenght.
>
> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

warren <[email protected]> wrote:
:> My understanding is you start off with low-intensity intervals. It's a kind of pyramid, as you
:> could view it. (Especially if you are more endurance oriented :). Off the top of my head, how
:> about a training session with 4 x 5 minute intervals, just above the lactase threshold? When you
:> are good enough with the lower level, you move up to next level of intensity, while decreasing
:> interval lenght.

: Normally you'll start off just BELOW LT, then build up to either longer work intervals and/or
: doing the interval slightly above LT.

Ok, it depends a lot on your fitness, previous training, training philosophy, feelings etc :) Took a
look at my old notes (http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/train_types.html) and they say interval
training could begin with 2 * 15 minutes in the tempo zone (85-90 % of LTHR). Maybe several
intervals over LT is a bit too much :-. Then again fit cyclists should be able to ride 30 min
continuously at LTHR? LT is called also the steady state, remember? ;)

Of course you need a base with lots of continuous (and possibly interval, if you feel like it)
training below your LT - essentially, in all the zones below your LT - before it makes sense to
start serious anaerobic training.

: I start off with 5 minute work/rest times 5, then shorten the rest to 4 minutes, then go slightly
: above LT. Takes me about 5 weeks. Then I start doing 1 minute intervals way over LT times 4-5 with
: 5 minutes rest interval. Depends on the goals.

So your interval training is only about 2 months? The transition from 5 min to 1 min intervals
sounds a bit abrupt, too =)

> warren <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> My understanding is you start off with low-intensity intervals. It's a kind of pyramid, as you
> :> could view it. (Especially if you are more endurance oriented :). Off the top of my head, how
> :> about a training session with 4 x 5 minute intervals, just above the lactase threshold? When
> :> you are good enough with the lower level, you move up to next level of intensity, while
> :> decreasing interval lenght.
>
> : Normally you'll start off just BELOW LT, then build up to either longer work intervals and/or
> : doing the interval slightly above LT.
>
> Ok, it depends a lot on your fitness, previous training, training philosophy, feelings etc :) Took
> a look at my old notes (http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/train_types.html) and they say
> interval training could begin with 2 * 15 minutes in the tempo zone (85-90 % of LTHR). Maybe
> several intervals over LT is a bit too much :-. Then again fit cyclists should be able to ride 30
> min continuously at LTHR? LT is called also the steady state, remember? ;)
>
> Of course you need a base with lots of continuous (and possibly interval, if you feel like it)
> training below your LT - essentially, in all the zones below your LT - before it makes sense to
> start serious anaerobic training.

I'm missing something. Isn't LTHR the hardest level that a person can maintain "indefinitely?" Why
train intervals at <LTHR? Why can't any couch potato work at just below their LTHR as long as their
aerobic supply lasts?

In article <[email protected]>, The Pomeranian
<[email protected]> wrote:

> BR wrote:
> >
> > Probably a question that is easy to answer but ...
> >
> > I'm planning on starting interval training and wondering how people keep track of their
> > intervals ...
>
> Here's how I do it:
>
> I do training rides with people who are more talented than me and are willing to torture me. I
> keep track of my intervals by how far down my tongue is hanging.

Too much technical jargon for me to understand...

-WG

BR wrote:

> Probably a question that is easy to answer but ...
>
> I'm planning on starting interval training and wondering how people keep track of their
> intervals ...

Here's how I do it:

I do training rides with people who are more talented than me and are willing to torture me. I keep
track of my intervals by how far down my tongue is hanging. It seems to be an effective no fuss no
muss method for low rank amateurs like me, and it is fun to boot (I got in the best shape of my life
that way). After all, I don't get paid to be scientific, systematic, and methodical when it comes to
training for bike racing. I get enough of that (scientific, systematic, and methodical) **** at work
everyday. That said, stupid actions in an actual bike race get stupid results. I've proven that
scientifically.

> warren <[email protected]> wrote:

> : I start off with 5 minute work/rest times 5, then shorten the rest to 4 minutes, then go
> : slightly above LT. Takes me about 5 weeks. Then I start doing 1 minute intervals way over LT
> : times 4-5 with 5 minutes rest interval. Depends on the goals.
>
> So your interval training is only about 2 months? The transition from 5 min to 1 min intervals
> sounds a bit abrupt, too =)

I don't start the LT intervals until after 8-12 weeks of base miles. I do about 5 weeks of the LT
intervals before beginning the one minute intervals and I keep doing the LT intervals any week I
don't race. I am adding the one minute intervals to my training, not replacing the 5 minute
intervals.

-WG

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Of course you need a base with lots of continuous (and possibly interval, if you feel like it)
:> training below your LT - essentially, in all the zones below your LT - before it makes sense to
:> start serious anaerobic training.

: I'm missing something. Isn't LTHR the hardest level that a person can maintain "indefinitely?" Why
: train intervals at <LTHR? Why can't any couch potato work at just below their LTHR as long as
: their aerobic supply lasts?

Well, LT is a level you can maintain... I'm not the best person to answer, consult exercise
physiology books. I'd think aerobic endurance figures in too, a couch potato wouldn't last long
because of untrained aerobic capacity.

You can also think of it this way: energy is always produced aerobically and anaerobically. Though
it is a lot more complicated than that, there are different energy systems, and dunno what else goes
into performance and endurance physiology. As you increase your pace from an easy aerobic one, your
body increases production of lactic acid and utilization of anaerobic mechanisms. Concentration of
lactic acid increases, as your body can't utilize all of it, and there are some counterproductive
byproducts. Roughly, these metabolic products increase exponentially, and eventually you reach a
limit where your body can't scale up to more strenous pace anymore.

When you look at this process, it's rather gradual, and there is no clear breakpoint where you can
point at. LT is a conceptual abstraction, which helps to make sense of your training :)

For more info on energy systems, take a look at http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/energy.htm

To return to the original topic, you have to train the less effective, more efficient, more aerobic
energy and metabolic systems first, as after that anaerobic training can be more effective.

That's a great site. One thing I learned from it (and others) is that sometimes the best way to
train a particular heart-rate zone is NOT to train in that zone, but maybe just below it. It's
counter-intuitive, but going balls-out is not necessarily the best way to train for going balls-out.

I know it from my own experience, and from talking with others, but a big problem with interval
training is that sometimes you have to force yourself to back off the intensity. Too many years of
'no pain, no gain' as a weightlifter make it darned hard to break old habits.