Intervals advice

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
Well I have hopefully got a good base to work from now, nearly 3000km and 42,000m climbed (HAC4) this year. So I am looking to move into building on it by increasing intensity. Started today on some interval training on the Excel (standard) trainer. Don't know the accuracy of the power reading but have the tyre inflated to 110psi and tight up against the roller. The intervals were 8 number at 4 mins with 1.5 mins recovery, the power was 240-250W and recovery at 110-130W, 10 minutes warm up and cool down. Average HR for the intervals as a % of my Max was, 90, 93, 94, 95, 95, 94, 94, 94. The first 5 intervals did not make me feel stressed but at 6 I began to feel it in the legs (but not particularly in the breath, still able to carry on some sort of conversation with the other half) and by 8 the power was reading 220-240W. Recovery saw an avg drop in HR of 22 beats. Did not and do not feel particularly tired afterwards.

THe question is, 'what does it mean', I had set out to keep to about 90% of max HR and assume I must have been above my LTHR and would have then expected to suffer more in the process

Any advice and help warmly welcomed

Sean

What was your cadence for the ride, intervals, etc? I'm guessing that the power range might have been too low for you, especially with a relatively short duration of 4 mins.

Originally posted by vitiris
Well I have hopefully got a good base to work from now, nearly 3000km and 42,000m climbed (HAC4) this year. So I am looking to move into building on it by increasing intensity. Started today on some interval training on the Excel (standard) trainer. Don't know the accuracy of the power reading but have the tyre inflated to 110psi and tight up against the roller. The intervals were 8 number at 4 mins with 1.5 mins recovery, the power was 240-250W and recovery at 110-130W, 10 minutes warm up and cool down. Average HR for the intervals as a % of my Max was, 90, 93, 94, 95, 95, 94, 94, 94. The first 5 intervals did not make me feel stressed but at 6 I began to feel it in the legs (but not particularly in the breath, still able to carry on some sort of conversation with the other half) and by 8 the power was reading 220-240W. Recovery saw an avg drop in HR of 22 beats. Did not and do not feel particularly tired afterwards.

THe question is, 'what does it mean', I had set out to keep to about 90% of max HR and assume I must have been above my LTHR and would have then expected to suffer more in the process

Any advice and help warmly welcomed

Sean

My cadence for warm up and cool down was in the region 75-80, the intervals at 90-95 and recovery about 85. If the power range is low then isn't my heart rate going to be even higher? What sort of figure should I be expecting for LTHR as a % of Max HR? Although 4 mins duration is short, recovery at 1.5 is also short and 8 repeats quite a lot

Puzzled

Sean