Interview with George Hincapie about High Road

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by cyclingheroes, Dec 19, 2007.

1. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Tags:

2. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Such an insightful interview.... George really knows how to express himself..... what a tosser ! Can get some interviews with real people and not aliens ?

3. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

George is real. Its not his problem that you hate americans.

By the way its off-season. The riders had a hard media season. Time to back off a bit.

4. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Thanks CH for the interview. George is really proud of his achievement of being on 8 winning TdF teams, as it makes him unique.

5. jonjungel

jonjungel New Member

Don't listen to the Trashboy :). I think you've added some good content to your site lately, CH. Keep up the good work!

6. thunder

thunder New Member

only lately?

CH is the host with the mostest!

7. thunder

thunder New Member

Heroes, I think you got his weight wrong!

<being facetious, but on his Tour de France winning attempt he got atleast 10 pounds below that weight>

8. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

George is dumb as a post which is why I've always found him boring in interviews... uses cliches cos he doesn't know what else/how else to talk.

9. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

He may be, but at least he isn't sitting behind this computer for at least 9 hours a day like me.:) He also has a somewhat successful clothing line (at least it sells well in our area) and if I had near his ability on the bike I could terrorize my cycling club on each ride. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not a Hincapie fan, but I do respect his ability on the bike. Then again I respect just about anyone that can drop me, which many are able to do.:)

10. italiano

italiano New Member

I tip my hat to you, CH.

George sounds bland. The most profound thing he said: “I have not been with the team long enough to comment on that" [Bob Stapleton versus Bruyneel approach]. Good guy, medium-to-good rider, so-so speaker.

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

But that was... 2 years ago.

12. thunder

thunder New Member

I think he gets about 10 pounds ABOVE the weight you listed in his offseason :p

13. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Does he like cakes?

I have to admit after the surgery I had earlier this year I am about 20 pounds above my weight. Man I do love thoser cakes, the Belgian beer...:D

The next couple of weeks on the bike are going to be aweful... It will hurt.

14. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Having been kind of in George's position myself (though not in cycling), you gotta remember that these guys are very measured in their responses because:

1. They don't win anything in their peer group for doing a great interview for the fans.
    2. Conversely they lose a lot within their peer group if they blurt out something mildly derogatory, or personal, or revealing, even if it was unintentional.
    3. They've all been burnt by things they've said in the press during their career.

Also guys like Horner and McEwen, who say whatever they think, are pretty rare IMO. Most guys are either naturally reserved, or aren't confident that they will not say something wrong. It usually gets better though as they get older.

15. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Well said.

16. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

George Hincapie is dumb. period. yes I have met him multiple times. It has nothing to do with blurting out things in a derogatory manner during interview, but in actually being able to answer questions intelligently while providing some information.

This comment is not a reflection of the nice work by CH by any means.

17. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Now you have my curious attention.

Did you meet him multiple times when you were a podium girl, Edie? Are you just still bitchin' because he ignored you and married Melanie instead?:D

And point taken on the dumb thesis. That disease can't be cured unfortunately. But he has got to be smart enough to take directions from the Hog. On second thoughts, that doesn't require much smarts. In fact being smart would be a disadvantage perhaps.

18. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

No worries. ;)

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree.

No disrespect intended .........I don't expect to read anything particularly insightful from any rider.

I'll try to put this as diplomatically as possible - none of these guys are particularly well educated/read.
    I'm not saying that they're not intelligent.

Which begs the question - which rider gives the most insightful/intelligent interviews?
    One recent interview I read with Erik Dekker was superb - it was full of good observations about training, his rivals and life after cycling.

20. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

.........and I think that is generally true for most athletes in all the major mainstream sports. Some are even smooth enough (personable) to give a good interview, but still are not the brightest. You would think that most of them would make good coaches, but I have met many (not in cycling) that are at the top of their game and yet know very little about how to train themselves, much less, someone else. They have/had the best genetics for that given event and by that and some hard effort excelled when others in the trenches try much harder. Even after many years of training they still depend on coaches/trainers/doctors to spell it out what they need to do and when they need to do it. There are many on this website that are much better educated in physiology and training than professionals. I know education is a broad spectrum, but I am picking on the professionals in an area where they make a living and yet know very little about what makes them function and excel at what they do.