Interview with The Killer. DANILO!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hell and High Water, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. 03/10/2005 - Interview: Danilo I - Speaks as the "King" of the First Pro
    Tour and Thinks of the Future

    Liquigas-Bianchi leader's statements: «I will race both the Paris-Tours
    and the Giro di Lombardia». 2006 purposes and expectations. Some
    suggestions for the next Pro Tour

    Taking fourth yesterday in Zurich, Danilo Di Luca is the virtual winner
    of the Pro Tour's first edition by now: «It has been a terrible race,
    the toughest one of my life. The weather conditions were frightful but
    it had been worth it: at last the Pro Tour is mine!».

    Do you have a special dedication?
    «I dedicate this win to the people that stayed at my side last year, in
    the most difficult period of my life. Above all my wife Valentina».

    What has been determining for this success?
    «The regularity during the season has had a great importance: I've won
    the Vuelta al Pais Vasco, the Amstel Gold Race and the Flèche Wallonne;
    I've raced as a protagonist the Giro d'Italia taking fourth and today,
    in October, I'm still with the best riders. Behind me in the Pro Tour
    ranking there are great champions that, on the contrary, preferred to
    aim at specific goals limited to a particular period. Or athletes, like
    Boonen, very regular but not present in the great tours' overall
    rankings».

    Which picture would you like to frame?
    «An enormous poster of the whole Giro d'Italia».

    You had been the best rider in the first Pro Tour. What is your answer
    to the people that would modify the rules of this challenge? Do you have
    any change to suggest?
    «The structure is all right. I would only increase points to stage
    winners: 3 points for a stage win in a great tour or only one for the
    win at the Vuelta al Pais Vasco is really few...»

    Talking about score, you don't need points at stake in the Paris-Tours
    and Giro di Lombardia by now: do you miss one of these races?
    «No, I won't. I can't do without the "Lombardia": I've already won this
    charming race in 2001. Moreover the Pro Tour's victory is an advantage
    for me: I can race the "Classic of the dead leaves" concentrating on the
    day's victory. Of course the Paris-Tours doesn't suit me as the
    Lombardia does but I believe the Pro Tour leader can't do without racing
    such a prestigious race in front of such a passionate public like the
    French one».

    Who will be the next Pro Tour winner?
    «It's difficult to say: surely the winner will be a regular rider in the
    whole season. One day races' protagonists are favoured».

    And what about Di Luca?
    «I've fought with all my strength for conquering this edition of the Pro
    Tour, the first one. Now I have other purposes: however if I have at
    hand on my way also the second white jersey, I will try not to let the
    opportunity slip, of course. But it isn't one of my main goals: in 2006
    I will aim at the Giro d'Italia and World Championships».

    So you have new goals. Also your training will change?
    «Not at all: I will do the same as this year, starting from the long
    high ground training in the month of January. I only won't force in
    April's races».

    Tags:

  2. Thanks,

    I love it when a top pro gets poetic like that.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  3. Hell and High Water wrote:
    > 03/10/2005 - Interview: Danilo I - Speaks as the "King" of the First Pro
    > Tour and Thinks of the Future

    Source? Translator? ("classic of the dead leaves"...)

    --
    E. Dronkert

  4. John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:58:00 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    >> Source? Translator? ("classic of the dead leaves"...)

    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec....="leaves+are+falling"&rnum=4#d1bd14be997707f3

    Yeah: _falling_ leaves. It might well be that the Italian term, literally
    translated to English, is "classic of the dead leaves" (as it is in
    French: "feuilles mortes"), but in English (and Dutch) it's the Classic of
    the Falling Leaves. And there were some other quirks, that's why I asked.

    --
    E. Dronkert