$ into frame vs. $ into components?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RC2, May 26, 2004.

1. RC2

RC2 New Member

OK, in another post I've run into a quandry... should I buy a bike with a nicer frame and lower groupo, or nicer groupo and slightly lower quality frame (given that the total bike prices is fixed)?

The specifics are -- I was looking at a Felt F45 for myself. Al frame with carbon fiber seat stays and fork, and full ultegra (+ dura-ace rear derailleur). Price ~$1700.

Alternate that I'm starting to look at: Klein Aura X. A beautiful! frame (same Al/Carbon construction) but with full 105 (+ultegra f/r derailleur).

I need to go ride the Klein, and I'm sure will end up buying what feels best overall... but I was just wondering what the prevailing wisdom or philosophy is on this? Spend more for a nicer frame? Or spend more for nicer components?

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

1 more key difference in the 'components' category (sort of) I forgot to mention -- the Klein comes with a Bontrager Race Road wheelset, vs. the Felt's Mavic Ksyrium Equipe.

3. fushman

fushman New Member

better frames are better

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

If you plan on keeping the bike for a while; components come and go and can be easily upgraded. They are both good choices in that price range, but if you have a definite preference as to the frame, you can always upgrade parts of the groupo at a later date.

5. meehs

meehs New Member

I agree with sereneaslu. Better to put the extra cash into the frame. Components can be upgraded over time as they wear-out. A good frame can last many, many years.