Intra tire stamped width conflict- is it a 35 or a 37

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
Ordered a pair of 700cX35 Kenda tires that are also stamped 37-622.
No model listed on it. Seller identified as a road tire but I'd view it as a cross tire. It appears substantially narrower that the 38-622 Kenda Kwics I ordered with them.

What's with the intra-tire width conflict?

On Jun 7, 1:38 am, meb <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Ordered a pair of 700cX35 Kenda tires that are also stamped 37-622.
> No model listed on it.  Seller identified as a road tire but I'd view
> it as a cross tire.  It appears substantially narrower that the 38-622
> Kenda Kwics I ordered with them.
>
> What's with the intra-tire width conflict?
>
> --

Welcome to the world of bicycle tires. Here's what the late and great
Sheldon Brown said about it:

Dishonesty in Sizing
Competitive pressures have often led to inaccuracy in width
measurement. Here's how it works: Suppose you are in the market for a
high performance 700 x 25 tire; you might reasonably investigate
catalogues and advertisements to try to find the lightest 700-25
available. If the Pepsi Tire Company and the Coke Tire Company had
tires of equal quality and technology, but the Pepsi 700-25 was
actually a 700-24 marked as a 25, the Pepsi tire would be lighter than
the accurately-marked Coke 700-25. This would put them at a
competitive advantage. In self defense, Coke would retaliate by
marketing an even lighter 700-23 labeled as a 700-25.

This scenario prevailed throughout the '70's and '80's. The situation
got so out-of-hand that cooler heads have prevailed, and there is a
strong (but not universal) trend toward accurate width measurements.

for more on tires:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 18:38:58 +1000, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ordered a pair of 700cX35 Kenda tires that are also stamped 37-622.
>No model listed on it. Seller identified as a road tire but I'd view
>it as a cross tire. It appears substantially narrower that the 38-622
>Kenda Kwics I ordered with them.
>
>What's with the intra-tire width conflict?

700x35 is a marketing size, 37-622 is an ETRTO designation.The width
of a tyre will vary according to the rim width. You'll probably find
it's 35mm across (as marketed) on typical rims, but could come up to
37mm on the widest recommended rim, which is why it's ETRTO marked as
such so you can be sure it will fit in a frame with 37mm clearance
regardless of rim.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

"Kinky Cowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 18:38:58 +1000, meb
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Ordered a pair of 700cX35 Kenda tires that are also stamped 37-622.
>>No model listed on it. Seller identified as a road tire but I'd view
>>it as a cross tire. It appears substantially narrower that the 38-622
>>Kenda Kwics I ordered with them.
>>
>>What's with the intra-tire width conflict?

> 700x35 is a marketing size, 37-622 is an ETRTO designation.The width
> of a tyre will vary according to the rim width. You'll probably find
> it's 35mm across (as marketed) on typical rims, but could come up to
> 37mm on the widest recommended rim, which is why it's ETRTO marked as
> such so you can be sure it will fit in a frame with 37mm clearance
> regardless of rim.

Cowboy, you have to get in the swing of these groups - explaining what is
really behind the difference isn't any good unless you insinuate that
someone is making a fortune off mis-marking and that the government is
corrupt and every store that sells these tires is screwing the buying
public.

You know - the Democrat view of the world.