Intro and buying advice for a casual cyclist

Tetsu

Sep 17, 2018
Hello there,

I'm new here and looking for buying advice.

I'm a casual cyclist, cycling for 2-3 times a week, mostly getting myself a bit of cardio and R&R in the process.
My old trustworthy Scott broke down, so here I am.

Looked a bit for a simple bicycle, and narrowed it down to two choices:

https://goo.gl/uh597F
OR
https://goo.gl/G26eTM

I'm looking for as good as possible simple, sturdy and comfortable bicycle for my casual needs.
Don't need anything fancy (I think these variants from which I choose is somewhat entry type), though I'll be going through different terrains - road and off-road(some gravel, but nothing too rough).

Could you pinpoint me from the bikes I've chosen, which would be better for my needs?
I'm a total newbie, I just did a bit of research of technology both bikes are using, Radial seems to have upper hand, but I might be wrong.

Please help me out!

Thanks!

I have come to the conclusion after many years of very deep thinking that all bikes at the same price point are equally good.

I've also learned that there's really no point in asking others for their opinion because everyone has a different one.

Jus get the bike that you feel good about...and don't worry about small differences in price. If you aren't happy with it you won't use it.

And get some good shorts, a good helmet and a bike computer.

Happy cycling.

If you are going to spend less than $800 for a MTB or hybrid you need to stay away from a bike that has any sort of suspension like those shock forks, they don't work like you think they should. Cheap shock forks are highly problematic, they won't last, they're not designed for rough off road use, they're heavy...very heavy, they cost more money to put on a bike so they have to cheapen the components or/and the frame to fit the price point and profit point; when it breaks it will cost you more to replace the shock fork than the bike is worth. Shock forks are only necessary if you'll be doing fast downhill technical racing which in that case the cheaper shock forks will fail you, but you wouldn't be buying a $400 bike to race on anyways.

I suggest you find a MTB or hybrid with a rigid fork.

I see you're considering two entry-level bikes, but I'm afraid neither may fully meet your needs. Both lack sufficient gear range for varying terrains, and they're not exactly known for their durability. For casual riding, comfort is crucial, and these models might fall short in that area.

Have you thought about looking into hybrid bikes? They're designed for mixed terrain and generally provide a more comfortable riding position. Models like the Cannondale Quick or Trek FX series might be more suitable for your needs.

Remember, it's essential to test ride a bike before purchasing to ensure it's the right fit for you. I respect your choices, but I believe a hybrid bike could offer a better riding experience for a casual cyclist like yourself.

While both bikes have their merits, I must respectfully disagree with your choices. As a 48-year-old man new to biking and looking to get back into shape, you need a bike that is both reliable and built to last.

The first bike, while affordable, may not provide the durability you need for regular use. Its frame, while lightweight, may not withstand the rigors of different terrains.

The second bike, while more expensive, may not offer the level of comfort you require for your casual rides. Its sleek design may sacrifice ergonomics for aesthetics, which may lead to discomfort during longer rides.

I would recommend looking into a bike with a sturdy frame, cushioned seat, and shock-absorbing tires. This will ensure a comfortable and reliable ride, allowing you to focus on your fitness goals. Don't settle for less, invest in a bike that will serve you well in the long run.