Intro and some basic questions

jolobike

Feb 13, 2013
I've been lurking this site for a while and thought I'd introduce myself and ask for some direction. I've been a distance runner for years but with age have come nagging aches and injuries so I started cycling for the sake of cross training. But I'm quickly finding myself wanting to get more serious about cycling. I have an older GT hybrid that has served me well but am hoping to buy a new bike later this year. As with my running, I'm not fast but I am great with endurance. My long term plans include extended touring but in the next few years I see myself riding 4-6 days a week, building up to one long ride 50+ mi once a week, and couple of weekend type summer camping tours in Northwest. I've never been one to run with a group but do plan to join a local bike club and give group riding a try. I live in Central Oregon.

The bikes that have caught my eye are Surly LHT, Jamis Aurora (Elite?), and Trek 520. So with the above in mind, any advice?

Test riding: I'll be checking with my LBS but any suggestions of shops in the Portland, OR area that might have these in stock? How much difference does it make if the bike I'd test ride wasn't the right size for me?

Fit: does one size apply to all bikes? Seems like it couldn't because of the varied geometry so do I just wait till I decide exactly what bike I want and then get fitted to THAT bike?

Can someone point me to where I can read a really basic explanation of gear/gear ratios?

Thanks,
Lori

Geometries and sizing do vary from brand to brand. Best bet is to test ride before buying. A good fitter can fine tune your fit, but if you're on the wrong size to start with, there's only so much that he or she could do.