Intro Bike advice

steve617

Dec 19, 2004
I have looked at several bikes and the more I think and the more I look the more confused I get. I am sure you all know what I mean. I really want to get the best bike that I can afford. My favorite LBS is about 4 miles from my house and their main bike is Raleigh. They also are just getting in the lower priced Scott. Another LBS that I went to carries Specialized and Cannondale. The LBS that carries the Raleigh and Scott is much friendler.(If that makes a difference).

I am wondering on prices. They have a Raleigh 04 Grandprix on sale for $799 plus you get $40 on accesories. They also have the 05 for $869. Is that a decent deal? They have the New Scott Speedster S6 for $629. I just would like to get the best value for the money.

I think I may have found a good deal on a Cannondale. The other store has a 04 R600 for $935. It is more than what I planned on paying. Also I think the R600 is in a different class than the others. Thanks for any comments.

Steve

steve617 said:
I have looked at several bikes and the more I think and the more I look the more confused I get. I am sure you all know what I mean. I really want to get the best bike that I can afford. My favorite LBS is about 4 miles from my house and their main bike is Raleigh. They also are just getting in the lower priced Scott. Another LBS that I went to carries Specialized and Cannondale. The LBS that carries the Raleigh and Scott is much friendler.(If that makes a difference).

I am wondering on prices. They have a Raleigh 04 Grandprix on sale for $799 plus you get $40 on accesories. They also have the 05 for $869. Is that a decent deal? They have the New Scott Speedster S6 for $629. I just would like to get the best value for the money.

I think I may have found a good deal on a Cannondale. The other store has a 04 R600 for $935. It is more than what I planned on paying. Also I think the R600 is in a different class than the others. Thanks for any comments.

Steve
I can't comment on the Scotts or Cannondales but I'm probably one of the few guys on this forum that thinks Raleigh still sells a decent bike. I own an '03 M60 MTB and an '04 Supercourse so I'm a tad biased. For what they are they are well made bikes.

The frames for the '04 and '05 Grandprix are sized differently so you may want to keep that in mind when trying them on for size. The difference is only 1cm but still they are different. The '04 is mostly Tiagra throughout, except for the brakes. The '05 is a mix. The saddle on the '04 is a Selle Italia so it is probably better than the Avenir (Raleigh's house brand). Both model years have Ritchey handlebars, stems and seat posts.

$799 for an '04 Tiagra equipped bike still sounds a little high though. I would think you could get an '04 Supercourse on closeout for that. I bet if you shopped around you could find an '05 Specialized Allez Sport for $800, which is a better bike. The Sport looks great in matte black or red too.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9357&JServSessionIdroot=ngjet8tl3n.j27001

I recently picked up an '03 Specialized Allez Sport with just under 1000 miles on it for $375 through a guy I know. He works at a bike shop and keeps all of his bikes in immaculate condition too. For an entry level road bike it is nimble and quick. Seems very responsive.

I also recently purchased an '04 Raleigh Supercourse on ebay for $655 shipped to my door. Unfortunately, it was packaged poorly which resulted in a few gouges and paint chips on the frame. I took it to three different bike shops and they all agreed that the damage was only cosmetic. Other than that the bike is brand spanking new and in mint condition.

Since you stated that you are fairly new to this, I would not recommend the ebay or used route as you will need to know exactly what you want beforehand. There is also an element of risk as well. Therefore the LBS is the best place to start. What is more important than a bike shop that is friendly before the sale is one that is helpful after the sale. That's where it really counts.

Good luck and happy cycling.

Why not be chincy and start out with a piece of **** like the rest of us. Then when you get a good bike you will really appreciate it.

steve617 said:

Steve
Get the Cdale. You'll save in the long run by not getting as bad a case of upgrade fever as quick as with a bottom of the barrel POS.

peet9471 said:
Why not be chincy and start out with a piece of **** like the rest of us. Then when you get a good bike you will really appreciate it.
I think I would consider my 12 speed Spalding blade as a piece of ****.

Steve