Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Intro, returning to cycling, bar question

Started by Steve_A · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,401 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 September 2010
Last activity
9 September 2010
Original author
Steve_A
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,401
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, I’m returning to cycling and to this forum after several years. I used to be into road riding pretty heavily, although I did not race. I hung out on the Road forum quite a bit. I’ll introduce here since I do have an equipment question, and I tend to be a bit of a gear freak so I’ll probably end up on this forum more often than not.

    I had two road bikes in the basement gathering dust and making me feel guilty: A titanium road bike and a steel frame set up as a single-speed (both Performance frames from around 1995). My youngest daughter likes to ride, and I mentioned that maybe she could ride one of my bikes. So I reinstalled the 105 8-speed components on the steel frame for her. She didn’t care for drop bars, so I put on flat bars with some nice Shimano pod shifters that I got pretty cheap on eBay. The bike turned out quite well, and daughter is very happy with it.

    I liked the feel of that “new” bike so well that I decided to do a similar modification to my titanium frame. Got the same shifters (ST-2200) on eBay again; they’re a little clunky-looking, but work very well and are affordable. I got Campus pedals from Performance. They are platform on one side, and SPD on the other. I thought that these would ideal for me, since I wanted a more casual bike that I could ride without my road shoes. Eventually I’ll install the cleats on my road shoes to try the pedals. I’m thinking that I will need to get some mountain or casual cycling shoes that will take the cleats.

    The first few rides were pretty good; I like the feel the bike in this configuration. However there is an issue with climbing. I really can’t stand and climb with these bars, it just doesn’t feel stable with the flat bar. Then I got the brilliant idea to add bar ends. These should give me a good climbing position, and I’m looking for confirmation of that there. I’m hoping that these will eliminate the last real issue that I have with the bike. I plan to get some this week.

    Oh, I also mounted an almost new Brooks B17 honey saddle that I had. My frame was custom painted (back when I was riding) in a burgundy pearl, and the honey color looks great with it. Once I get the handlebar situation sorted out, I plan to wrap both the bars and bar ends in tan tape (possible Cinelli cork) to bring the tan color to the front of the bike. Yes, I do care about what it looks like. So that’s it for now. I’m looking forward to riding in the Fall.

  2. Steve_A said:

    The first few rides were pretty good; ...there is an issue with climbing. I really can’t stand and climb with these bars, it just doesn’t feel stable with the flat bar.

    Switching from drop bar to flat bar while retaining the stem is likely to have shifted your hand position a few inches back. Adding bar ends will have shifted it forward again, but probably not all the way to where you would have been if you've been riding on the hoods. Flat bars usually are a bit swept back.

    Those of my riding buddies who ride both flat bar and drop bar with equal dedication tend to run one size smaller frames on their drop bar bikes.

  3. Thanks for the reply, dabac. I did replace the stem, but the new stem is not much forward of where the old stem was. I realized that with a flat bar, I'm several inches behind my former on-the-hoods position. I feel comfortable on the bike in the normal riding position, but just need a climbing position. I think that the bar ends will do the trick. I just installed them, will test ride tomorrow evening or on the weekend. I see that I also need to take about 1" off the ends of the flat bars. It's evolving!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.