Introducing Murphy

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's been hard since I lost my friend, but I think this guy might make a
> great addition.
>
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m1.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m2.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m3.JPG
>
> His name is Murphy. He is a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel who
> needed a new forever home. He arrived here today pre-trained as among
> other things, a trail dog. He is very smart.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

That's great Mitch, no potty training which is why I'm struggling with
getting a new puppy. I'd adopt an adult husky but I don't think things with
my two cats would go over very well. I saw my previous husky kill the
neighbors cat, it's not pretty. (neither was my neighbor)

Why was Murphy given up?

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> It's been hard since I lost my friend, but I think this guy might
>> make a great addition.
>>
>> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m1.JPG
>> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m2.JPG
>> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m3.JPG
>>
>> His name is Murphy. He is a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel who
>> needed a new forever home. He arrived here today pre-trained as
>> among other things, a trail dog. He is very smart.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>

> That's great Mitch, no potty training which is why I'm struggling with
> getting a new puppy. I'd adopt an adult husky but I don't think
> things with my two cats would go over very well. I saw my previous
> husky kill the neighbors cat, it's not pretty. (neither was my
> neighbor)
> Why was Murphy given up?
>
> Gary

Gary, if you go through a breed rescue club, they can help you find a dog
that would match up with your family's needs. Meaning, help you find one
that has grown up with kitties etc. Though why you'd want a husky in
Phoenix is beyond me.

Back to dog rescue. I'm involved peripherally with both Malemute rescue and
Golden Retriever breed resuce. Most adult dogs go through a fostering
process to determine the level of training, what kind of family sitution is
good or not ( little kids) and what kind of issues there might be. This is
really important if the dog comes in without a history. Example, "annie"
came into the adoption process with full knowledge that she in an
incorrigable squirrel chaser. "griffin" a mae we fostered for about a year,
was just easy going and mellow, barely raised an eyebrow and chasable
things.

Penny

GeeDubb wrote:

> That's great Mitch, no potty training which is why I'm struggling with
> getting a new puppy. I'd adopt an adult husky but I don't think things
> with my two cats would go over very well. I saw my previous husky kill
> the neighbors cat, it's not pretty. (neither was my neighbor)

Check with Husky rescue orgs. Not every dog has the same personality.
You could find one that gets along with cats.

> Why was Murphy given up?

I was told that Murphy nipped at their 3 year old while in the truck. I
don't know the specifics, but I would guess the baby had hurt him and
Murphy reacted the way anyone would when pain is applied. I brought my
kids with me to the park before we took him home to make sure. He was
the sweetest thing. Licked them, played with them, and no rough stuff.

Some people get skiddish when children are involved, but I always make
sure someone is supervising. My kids are 7 and 12 and old enough to
know how to treat an animal. Besides, my kids don't even play with my
dogs. They are all mine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>>

>> That's great Mitch, no potty training which is why I'm struggling with
>> getting a new puppy. I'd adopt an adult husky but I don't think things
>> with my two cats would go over very well. I saw my previous husky kill
>> the neighbors cat, it's not pretty. (neither was my neighbor)

> Check with Husky rescue orgs. Not every dog has the same personality. You
> could find one that gets along with cats.
>

>> Why was Murphy given up?
>>

> I was told that Murphy nipped at their 3 year old while in the truck. I
> don't know the specifics, but I would guess the baby had hurt him and
> Murphy reacted the way anyone would when pain is applied. I brought my
> kids with me to the park before we took him home to make sure. He was the
> sweetest thing. Licked them, played with them, and no rough stuff.
>
> Some people get skiddish when children are involved, but I always make
> sure someone is supervising. My kids are 7 and 12 and old enough to know
> how to treat an animal. Besides, my kids don't even play with my dogs.
> They are all mine.
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

My husky (born and raised in Phoenix) got along fine with my cats as she
came into the family with the cats already having been established. Our
male cat was the boss.....

This didn't stop the little turd from chasing and killing the neighbors cat
even though she was brought up with 2 or 3 cats around her most of the
time.....

she also didn't learn from her first experience with the
porcupine........and probably wouldn't have learned from a skunk experience.
Huskys are loveable, playful and have a mind unlike any other dog.

a note on springers, a buddy of mine had one that took a good chunk out of
his nephews face....nobody was watching the kid as he came up to the dog
crawling, near his food bowl. The dog was just doing what was natural for
it.

Gary

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gary, if you go through a breed rescue club, they can help you find a dog
> that would match up with your family's needs. Meaning, help you find one
> that has grown up with kitties etc. Though why you'd want a husky in
> Phoenix is beyond me.

Penny

You have to realize that the fur on huskys is an insulator for hot as well
as cold. You also have to realize I don't want to be here but at 9100' in
Colorado.........some day!
We shaved our husky one summer and she actually didn't do as well in the
heat. It sure made our lives more enjoyable not having to vacuum every hour
when she was molting. I tried to make a trail dog out of her and she did
quite well except for that ADD thing that huskys have when they see
something move out the corner of one eye........they sure like to run!

I have checked the local husky rescue but they didn't have anything listed.
Come this time next year I'm sure there will be plenty of 1-2 year olds
available since the rush is on to have a husky after Eight-Below came
out.....and people realize how devious huskys are.

Gary

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's been hard since I lost my friend, but I think this guy might make a
> great addition.
>
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m1.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m2.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m3.JPG
>
> His name is Murphy. He is a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel who
> needed a new forever home. He arrived here today pre-trained as among
> other things, a trail dog. He is very smart.

Awwwww...I just want to give him a great big hug!

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

I have had good experiences with breed rescues...
My sister in law is involved in Greyhound rescues. She had three of
five of her dogs were rescued greyhounds... She got one because the
person who originally rescued it saw it's jaw chattering and thought it
was vicious... Funny because it was actually doing it becasue it was
excited.
Another she kept was a cat killer but what do you expect.. they are
trained to chase a rabbit around a track!

The Lhasa rescue was really nice to Carla and offered to pay for our
dog's health expenses... They were so happy to have someone save him...

Jimbo(san)

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's been hard since I lost my friend, but I think this guy might make a
> great addition.
>
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m1.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m2.JPG
> http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m3.JPG
>
> His name is Murphy. He is a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel who
> needed a new forever home. He arrived here today pre-trained as among
> other things, a trail dog. He is very smart.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

He looks a-lot like Mandy a Springer I "stole" from a neighbor 16 years ago.
She needed a new home too.

I don't know what the neighbors gig was-- he was up all night with tons of
people in and out and then gone for 12 plus hours during the day. Anyhow at
some point he got a dog, a Springer named Mandy. She was a sweet heart--
about a year old. He would leave her all day in the apartment and then loose
his mind when he got home because she had done what young untrained dogs do.
We could hear him through the walls yelling and slamming stuff and then he
would throw her out. We would find her trembling below the stair well,
scared to death. This lasted for about a week-- he then progressed to
beating the dog. That lasted two days-- the second day he beat her, through
her outside and as soon as his door slammed closed I rushed to put on my
shoes and out I went. I scooped up Mandy, ran to my car holding her and as I
was fumbling to start my car he came out calling for the dog. I held her
down under my legs in the foot well as he stood right in front of my car. I
thought for sure he would see her and I did not want to get into with this
guy. I am not small but he was every bit of 6'4" and 240lbs-- I was not
going to give him back the dog though. So I felt very relieved when he
turned and started back toward the building-- he must not have noticed. So
off I went, I took the dog to my moms where a week later my sister and
brother-in-law fell in love with her and they took her home. She died about
two years ago at about the age of 14, peacefully. I hope the same is in
store for Murphy.

"SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> He looks a-lot like Mandy a Springer I "stole" from a neighbor 16 years

ago.
> She needed a new home too.

<snip>

Great story! Sometimes, it is necessary to do the right thing...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Now that's a rescue story!

Murphy is going to do just fine. He's happy and in fact was crying when
I left this morning and yesterday when I went out for a ride. My wife
said he wouldn't stop pacing by the window.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

SuperPoo wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>It's been hard since I lost my friend, but I think this guy might make a
>>great addition.
>>
>>http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m1.JPG
>>http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m2.JPG
>>http://www.schnauzers.ws/mmm/m3.JPG
>>
>>His name is Murphy. He is a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel who
>>needed a new forever home. He arrived here today pre-trained as among
>>other things, a trail dog. He is very smart.
>>

> He looks a-lot like Mandy a Springer I "stole" from a neighbor 16 years ago.
> She needed a new home too.

My ex's friend did the same for this little mutt, I can't even describe
her, next door named Taco. Taco wasn't abused but she was very
neglected. She was the friendliest dog in the neighborhood. One day
Cindy had had enough of seeing Taco running loose in the street, called
her over to her car, Taco jumped in, and Cindy took her home. The
neighbors didn't even bother asking us if we had seen her.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

SuperPoo wrote:
> I am not small but he was every bit of 6'4" and 240lbs-- I was not
> going to give him back the dog though.

Was he sporting a mullett?

JD

> SuperPoo wrote:
>> I am not small but he was every bit of 6'4" and 240lbs-- I was not
>> going to give him back the dog though.

> Was he sporting a mullett?
>
> JD

No mullett, his hair was done in what I think are called corn rows.

Steve