introducing myself

littledog

Guest
Hi,i have been reading and posted a few times but never introduced
myself to the group.
I am a 53 yr old guy and consider myself a lover of two wheeled
vehicles. Mostly bicycles. But not a serious rider. I just like to ride
casually. I haven't had a car for a few months and don't really miss
it,except for transporting my bike to bike club rides. I don't belong
to a bike club but maybe i would like to someday.
My bikes are a Motobecane Mirage,vintage 1978 which i don't ride as it
is worn out. A Trek 820 MTN bike purchased in 1999, a Schwinn Cruiser
Deluxez-delete key won't work-Deluxe from 2002 and a Trek 7300FX bought
in June.
This year I have put 1,325 miles on the bikes,mostly on the Schwinn and
the Trek hybrid. My farthest ride is 50 miles on the Schwinn on flat
roads/bike paths at an average speed of 8.6 mph,a little off from my
normal speed of 9mph due to a stiff head wind.
I am 5'4" and weigh 123# and not very muscular and smoke Gauloises
until they quit sellin them. So i am not athelete but love to cruise.
I know a lot of you here think 50 pound,gas pipe,balloon tired cruisers
are a piece of **** and i can see why as most of you seem to be
roadies. But I was hoping the Trek hybrid would inspire me to ride more
road miles but it just didn't happen. I find the hybrid to be very
uncomfortable and don't enjoy rides over 15 to 20 miles on it. The
Schwinn is OK up to maybe 30 miles. And it looks really cool and is a
conversation starter. I love to hear the tales of others about the
bikes they had as kids. And the Schwinn does have a Shimano 7 speed hub
but I only get to 4th or above downhill or a good tailwind.
So that's it.
littledog

Is it the handlebar position on the hybrid that keep you from riding very
much on it? Flat bars? Do you have wrist problems?

Pat in TX

It's mostly a sore back and neck. The frame is 15" and the seat is
maybe 4" lower than the handlebars. My Schwinn is similar but the
handle bar bend allows 3 or more hand positions.
littledog

In article
<[email protected]>,
"littledog" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,i have been reading and posted a few times but never introduced
> myself to the group.
> I am a 53 yr old guy and consider myself a lover of two wheeled
> vehicles. Mostly bicycles. But not a serious rider. I just like to ride
> casually. I haven't had a car for a few months and don't really miss
> it,except for transporting my bike to bike club rides. I don't belong
> to a bike club but maybe i would like to someday.
> My bikes are a Motobecane Mirage,vintage 1978 which i don't ride as it
> is worn out. A Trek 820 MTN bike purchased in 1999, a Schwinn Cruiser
> Deluxez-delete key won't work-Deluxe from 2002 and a Trek 7300FX bought
> in June.
> This year I have put 1,325 miles on the bikes,mostly on the Schwinn and
> the Trek hybrid. My farthest ride is 50 miles on the Schwinn on flat
> roads/bike paths at an average speed of 8.6 mph,a little off from my
> normal speed of 9mph due to a stiff head wind.
> I am 5'4" and weigh 123# and not very muscular and smoke Gauloises
> until they quit sellin them. So i am not athelete but love to cruise.
> I know a lot of you here think 50 pound,gas pipe,balloon tired cruisers
> are a piece of **** and i can see why as most of you seem to be
> roadies. But I was hoping the Trek hybrid would inspire me to ride more
> road miles but it just didn't happen. I find the hybrid to be very
> uncomfortable and don't enjoy rides over 15 to 20 miles on it. The
> Schwinn is OK up to maybe 30 miles. And it looks really cool and is a
> conversation starter. I love to hear the tales of others about the
> bikes they had as kids. And the Schwinn does have a Shimano 7 speed hub
> but I only get to 4th or above downhill or a good tailwind.
> So that's it.
> littledog

You need to get a good fit on a drop handlebar bicycle.
First choice is to go to a frame maker to have a bicycle
built for you. Second choice is to visit every bicycle
shop in your area and schmooze. Do not talk money. If
someone asks how much you will spend, say "I am not
thinking about that right not." Find a shop where someone
hears what you say; someone who you think you can trust to
fit you on a bicycle. Expect to pay for the fitting. You
really must get a good fit. Again, consider the frame
builders.

--
Michael Press