Introductions

Who are you? James

Where are you? Omaha, Nebraska

How big are you? 5'11" 262lbs right now and thats my peak.

What do you ride? Schwinn Trailway Hybrid 700c

How do you ride? Omaha is full of trails along a creek that runs through the city. Mostly on the trails.

What are your goals? I want to wiegh 225. If I lost any more I think I would look sick. Someday I will run the ironman in hawai.

Wlfdg said:
We have our own sub-forum :cool:

Who are you? Mike

Where are you? O'Fallon, IL (St. Louis metro-east)

How big are you? 5'11" 247 lb down from 262 lb

What do you ride? Cannondale Touring bike ~25-30 years old...don't know model designation

How do you ride? on roads. try to avoid cold/rain.

What are your goals?
lose weight, gain fitness

I'm a Type II diabetic. Sugar is very well under control but would like to drop one of three medications. I think I can do that if I get down under 225lbs. BK (before kids) I had weighed almost this much and I aggressively cycled and Nordic Trakked about 40-50 pounds off. Then came kids and loss of personal time. Still have little time between work, being a registered Boy Scout leader, as well as a marching band dad. But I cycle as much as I can. Did some indoor riding on a trainer. Riding Continental Ultra Gatorskins...had a rear tire blowout that took the tube, next ride the tube AND tire blew. The Gatorskins look pretty tough. When I get home from work I have about an hour usually...so I get in a 12 mile or so ride. Finding time on weekends for longer rides is tough. For example I don't see a weekend ride for at least the next couple weekends. So in short I ride as much as I can. Will probably always be a Clydesdale (I love that term...so tactful) but hope to be less of one with time. Also into ham radio.
So 73 (ham lingo for best regards) to everyone...

They call me Big Bobby i am 265lbs and 6'6" tall i ride to keep fit i hail from Waterloo Ontario Canada
Most of my riding is street and commuting and we have a very fine system of prepared and maintained bike trails in our area (converted abandoned railway beds )
I like to tinker with anything bicycle or bicycle related i very much enjoy repairing bikes people tell can't be repaired

the cycling helps with my diabetes

here are some of my toys

IMG_0935_2.jpg

img_04592.jpg

IMG_0931_2.jpg

the ironhorse is my latest dumpster restoration project 8 speed disc front and teny wheels

the red fetish cycle double discs sturmy archer internal 8 speed i call it my cheater single speeder

and last but not least mama's 3 speed internal hub schwinn crusier and my home built ute trailer where our austrailian shephard dog spends alot of time when i pop the lid off

Name is Jason.\

Ft. Mitchell Alamaba ( grew up in western New York.)

I'm 6'3 230

Just bought a brand new Trek 1.2 2010

Well how do I ride. I normally just pedal. but I haven't started yet. still getting the gear. but I will help with the challenge.

Just to drop some poundage. Get in to better shape that I am now.

Who are you?
Sean

Where are you?
Downers Grove, a Suburb of Chicago IL

How big are you?
6' 2" tall @ 290 pounds but am working toward 250. I started at 450 in 2000 and got to 390 in 2009. Last year I lost ~50 and the rest I've lost this year. My goal is 250 by the end of August (still Clydesdale) when I'll buy my new bike.

What do you ride?
I'm currently riding a 9-10 yr old Schwinn Homegrown Factory mountain bike which was semi high end at the time. I've outfitted it with some road/hybrid wheels and have had countless wheels built and rebuilt for it. 350+ puts quite a stress on the bike as you all know.

I've been researching purchasing a road bike as my fitness goal at 250. I've been toying with the idea of a carbon bike like the Trek Madone 4 or 5 series. I have a ways to go still and more research to perform though so I'm open to suggestions.

How do you ride?
Mostly road 98% and 2% trail. I do a lot of roads around my house and into the nearby arboretum. Usually 15-30 mile rides at a time. My longest ride to date was 60 miles.

What are your goals?
Weight loss to 250 and then working on form to see where I can get to. I love climbing and now that I've gotten my weight down I can sprint some as well, it's addicting.

LearnFitness said:
How big are you?
6' 2" tall @ 290 pounds but am working toward 250. I started at 450 in 2000 and got to 390 in 2009. Last year I lost ~50 and the rest I've lost this year. My goal is 250 by the end of August (still Clydesdale) when I'll buy my new bike.
Wow, down 160 lb is pretty awesome in and of itself. That's great!
What do you ride?

I've been researching purchasing a road bike as my fitness goal at 250. I've been toying with the idea of a carbon bike like the Trek Madone 4 or 5 series. I have a ways to go still and more research to perform though so I'm open to suggestions.
My single, childless friend keep telling me that they are making carbon frames rated to 250 lbs. He says this IN FRONT of my wife (who is currently pregnant with #2), which earns him a hairy eyeball from her - I am 225 with a disposable income of "not much." A carbon bike is not in my future, though I think my wife HAS bought into new wheels if I drop below two bills.

Hi there. Just started riding this month. I decided that this is going to be my primary tool for loosing all the extra weight I have.

Who are you?
Shane, aka GalacticaActual
Where are you?
Bakersfield, California
How big are you?
6'0" 300 lbs.
What do you ride?
Univega Supra Sport ca. 1980's.
What are your goals?
Lose weight, gain health!

Wlfdg said:
Big advocate of the Paleo Diet!
Wow! Small internet! I recognized your handle from the Caveman Forum. I'm Dingo Boy over there, also a huge advocate of Paleo, and a former Clydesdale.
Learn how to keep yourself healthy while losing the weight, and get support from others members who have been successful.
That's the only reason I can claim to hang around this sub-forum, as I've had great success and am no longer qualified for membership, now quite a bit under 200 lbs.

Who are you?
Robert
Where are you?
Clovis, Ca. USA
How big are you?
162 lbs. 6'0" and 9% body fat, down from 196 in ten weeks on the Neanderthin Plan and have maintained it for more than three months to date.
What do you ride?
Road - Schwinn Peloton circa 1985
How do you ride?
Mostly for exercise, preferring to ride in the foothills around my home.
What are your goals?
Get stronger and faster, ride farther and climb higher. I'd also love to get the wife involved in cycling, so my plan is to build myself a newer bike (she can fit on and ride my current one until she outgrows it, condition-wise). I'll ride my mountain bike when she's along to keep it fair....

Who are you? Where are you?
Hi, I'm Rob from Pennsylvania, USA.

How big are you?
About 250 lbs.

What do you ride?
I started with a hybrid, but quickly changed to a road bike. I've also got a cruiser.

How do you ride?
I ride the road bike for exercise and on some group rides with my local bike club, which I really enjoy. I bought the cruiser to ride around with my small kids without having to "kit up" (though I don't wear "full kit" actually).

What are your goals?[/QUOTE]
To ride more often, faster, stronger and loose weight. Also, I want to get my kids out on their bikes as much as I can.

I am Jason. I used to live in Birmingham, but moved to rural middle Tennessee about a year ago. On January 3rd of this year, I was at 293 pounds (6-foot-1). I decided I wanted to feel better, so I cut out red meat, fried foods, sweets and soda. Lost about 30 pounds the first month and then started cycling (road). Since then, I have lost another 74 pounds. I am now at 189 (BMI normal). I guess I am excluded from this forum based on that number, but I have spent over 20 years of my life above the 200 mark, so maybe that makes me an honorary Clyde.

I ride a 2002 Fuji Finest, at least for a few more days. I just bought a full carbon Fuji CCR2 as a reward for riding my first 1,500 miles.

My further goals are to maintain my weight and to help coach my wife as she pushes herself to seek similar results.

Happy pedaling everyone!

BamaJason said:
I am Jason. I used to live in Birmingham, but moved to rural middle Tennessee about a year ago. On January 3rd of this year, I was at 293 pounds (6-foot-1). I decided I wanted to feel better, so I cut out red meat, fried foods, sweets and soda. Lost about 30 pounds the first month and then started cycling (road). Since then, I have lost another 74 pounds. I am now at 189 (BMI normal). I guess I am excluded from this forum based on that number, but I have spent over 20 years of my life above the 200 mark, so maybe that makes me an honorary Clyde.

I ride a 2002 Fuji Finest, at least for a few more days. I just bought a full carbon Fuji CCR2 as a reward for riding my first 1,500 miles.

My further goals are to maintain my weight and to help coach my wife as she pushes herself to seek similar results.

Happy pedaling everyone!

You are an inspiration to people who are struggling with weight and fitness....Fantastic..!Keep it up.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I never thought I could achieve what I have done, especially in only 6 months without any medical intervention. I have found a strong will that I never knew existed, learned alot about potential and goal-setting, and made several new friends in the cycling community where I live. Life is good!

twowheelnut said:
Diet plan?

Not any sort of bonafide plan. Like I mentioned, I cut out red meat, fried foods, sweets, and soda. I mainly just watched the caloric intake and the daily burn, and strived for a deficit each day. The big change was getting myself mentally prepared for what I was doing. Once I got in it my head that I could succeed and that I deserved to succeed, I was ready to go. I knew it would be hard, but it certainly got easier. I researched nutrition and started giving my body what it needed instead of what I wanted. Seeing results fueled me to keep going and to pass up opportunities to have foods that I felt could have triggered a setback.

Who are you? Josh, 25 year old male

Where are you? central MO

How big are you? 6'2'' 200lbs

What do you ride? Trek Bontrager 7200 Hybrid

How do you ride? Dirt, gravel trails, standard bike set-up, no adjustments, aggressive rider.

What are your goals? Cardiovascular fitness, weight control, and body comp control for powerlifting.

Who are you?
My name is Court

Where are you?
San Jose, CA

How big are you?
6'7", 230lb

What do you ride?
2010 Specialized Allez Elite, 61cm frame
1985 Trek 720 Touring, 25" frame (in process of restoration)

How do you ride?
Long & slow (Trek)
Short & fast (Allez)

What are your goals?
After over a decade of dealing with a couple degenerated lumbar discs, I finally found how to free them up and have returned on the bike. I can't ride more than an hour at a time at the moment, but I'm consistently adding about 5 minutes each week.

My problem isn't with being overweight, but atrophic. I should actually weigh about 20lbs more. I used to be on pain meds for the back for years that killed my appetite, and the opiate-soaked sedentary life ate away my muscles. Now that those are behind me, I can put the roads in front of me.

I'm glad to have found this subgroup, so I can learn the myths and truths of big/tall riding, which is usually dictated and exaggerated by a 5.5' salesman.

-Court

cloudhead said:
I'm glad to have found this subgroup, so I can learn the myths and truths of big/tall riding, which is usually dictated and exaggerated by a 5.5' salesman.

-Court

Don't forget said salesman probably weighs all of 125 lbs.

Welcome!

Who are you?

Call me CnO (carsnoceans)

Where are you?

Rockville, MD/Greater DC

How big are you?

6' 0"

What do you ride?

Trek 7.2FX

How do you ride?

Umm.. badly. j/k recreational, paved/off-road trails

What are your goals?[/quote]

Century rider, compete in a triathlon (ultimate wish)