Introductions

I was a bodybuilder for about 10 years before I got into cycling.. Never considered myself heavy at 10% body fat but in the cycling world here I am.

Mike Blankenship

Nashville, NC

I am 5"8 and weigh in at 220

I RIDE A Giant Propel with SRAM Red, and I use Nimble crosswind for my yum wheels.

I ride hard 20 - 30 miles every other day as hard as I can. I also do charity rides both metric century and the 100 milers.

I also buy, sell and build road bikes. Goals are to establish an online business which I am doing with Ebay right now and to ride in a criterium. I am also a personal trainer and a college instructor.

Hello everyone, glad to find this group. I'm 6'1, 240 last I stepped on the scales, in good enough shape to be on my towns VFD. I ride and love an old magna power climber mountain bike. (I hear the gasping of horror from the "real" cyclists already. Lol) I don't realy have any weight loss goals or anything. I just ride for the enjoyment. I can be classified as a good ole boy in southern Iowa.

Wlfdg said:
We have our own sub-forum :cool:

Who are you?

GnuFrau, or you can call me Charline

Where are you?

Currently in the S F Bay Area (East Bay)

How big are you?

Too bloody big! (215lbs/97.5kg)

What do you ride?

I have a road bike I built: aluminium frame w/carbon fork. Campagnolo Athena 11 speed.
I'm also in the process of refitting my hybrid as a touring rig.

How do you ride?

I'm a Tourist. I may not be fast, but I go the distance. For example: about 3 weeks ago, I had a 125km day...

What are your goals?
I have lots of goals. Which are you interested in?
I want to drop 25kg in weight. I want to refit my hybrid as a full on touring rig.I want to emigrate to Germany. I wqnt to live my life in peace, without fear. I want. . . . I could go on...

25kg is a lot, what are your plans to accomplish that gnufrau? Yeah, I also want to live my life in peace, that is way harder than losing weight!

I plan on engaging in cycletherapy, for one. Lots and lots of it. Since have I gotten back to riding, everyone says I look thinner, but the scale does not seem to have started catching up with the program. I'm refitting my old bike ( a hybrid) as a heavy tourer, and may start going on tours again. That will help me loose a few kg for sure! All of the weight will be on the bike. I already have the rear bags, and a rack trunk, and a trailer. All I would need is front bags and lighting, as well as a way to charge my electronics. Pushing a bike that weighs 9.5kg is nice and all, but add 50 to 100kg to that load and you get some exercise!!

Who are you? The Bicycling Guitarist

Where are you? Oregon USA

How big are you? about 200 pounds now :(

What do you ride? The Minstrel Cycle (1977 Schwinn "Super Sportabout")

How do you ride? playing a Fender Stratocaster attached to battery-powered amp on rear rack

What are your goals? to make the world a better place and bring a smile to your face

I weigh about fifty pounds more than I did when I started doing this in the early 1980s. This has shifted the center of gravity higher which makes me more unstable as a result, but my greater skill acquired over the years has compensated for this. My Schwinn was the cheapest and heaviest ten-speed ever sold by Schwinn (I think) but has been upgraded with lighter components from more expensive Schwinns of similar vintage. It is still way heavy though, and combined with my heaviness and increasing age (I am 55 years old now) that makes it much more difficult to ride uphill than in decades past. There were times in the 1980s when I would ride uphill playing guitar on my bicycle past people who were walking their bicycles up the hill, lol.

I am way out of shape now because after 31 years of doing this as much as possible I haven't ridden since March 2015. This is a video of the last time I rode, at the request of a talking cat celebrity on YouTube who asked me to cover his theme song. How could I say no to a talking cat?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi. Long story short, a couple of years ago I broke some vertebrae and ruptured some discs in my neck. Screws, plates, etc. (have more metal in knee, thanks to career in military). Problems occurred with neck healing, Dr. feared screws would pull out. 2 plus years of 5lb. max lifting limit.

Finally o.k.'d to start riding again by Doc. Mentioned cycling and being a rider also, the Doc was all in for that.

History: Anything with 2 wheels since a kid, now 58 years old, 5'10, 240 lbs. (yes I gained more than 40lbs. during my downtime) Will leave out all MC riding, so over the years I've enjoyed trail/dirt/hill and road riding. Never competed, but rode in a bunch of charity type stuff.

No more serious dirt riding (MTB) - too old and out of shape.

I bought a "hybrid/road/dirt/trail/gravel/cyclocross" Cannondale CX3, that's how Cannondale describes them. Basically a road and single track "mild trail" bike. Has 50mm front forks that can be locked out for pavement, adjustable pre-load, 700c 29er tires, hydraulic disc brakes, and for heaven only knows, a 27 speed Shimano crank/gear set.

My goals are to lose as much weight as possible before other health problems occur, and get back into cycling, I've not ridden for a handful of years now.

I love riding on the road, and when feeling well, pushing my personal limits, and also will be doing some "easy" shared path and single track riding. I'm hoping to get some stamina back in the next 30 days to start doing some 8 to 10 mile off road paths and some dirt and gravel roads, which should be my physical limits, and the bikes limits.

Riding: (Northern KY, very near Cincinatti OH).

Thanks,
J.

Who are you? S JAY

Where are you? BK, NY

How big are you? 260+

What do you ride? GT & FUJI

How do you ride? I DON'T COMPETE, NOT YET AND MAY NEVER.

What are your goals? TO LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE. GOAL WEIGHT IS 195.

Pretty much sharing your goals, lose weight, get in shape, competition it's not important to me. Welcome to the forum Jay!

Hi,

I'm Joel S from Westborough Massachusetts (USA) am in my late 40's and weigh in at about 265 lbs at the moment. My current rides are a Nashbar steel 'cross bike set up for road touring and a "parts-bin" city bike (basically an old hard-tail mtn frame with slicks, a carbon fork and road gearing). My latest project is a new touring bike build based on a Breezer Venturi frameset.

I'm into bike commuting, touring and occasional centuries. I completed the Pan-Mass Challenge a few weeks ago which was my longest weekend ride to date.

My primary reason to ride is sanity but I could stand to loose a few pounds too. I spend way to much time at a desk in front of a computer; cycling is my way to remain connected to the world outside and remember that there is far more to life than the corporate grind.

Nice to meet you!!!

Who are you?

Names Andy

Where are you?

NE Thailand.

How big are you?

6ft and 265lbs

What do you ride?

Recently bought a Twitter Blake MTB. Equipment here is limited to a large extent and not sure if it is a.good and b.correct size thiough. lol

How do you ride?

Dirt roads and blacktop currently, basically dead flat.

What are your goals?

Lose weight, tone up, to start with, try to get in to more serious cycling

Who are you?
JP Wildman

Where are you?
North coast Ohio

How big are you?
220 pounds now....362 pounds last June 7th

What do you ride?
Trek Domane S5, Salsa Warbird

How do you ride?
Mostly country backroads and local trails

What are your goals?
I have lost a huge amount of weight biking and dieting, and while I still want to lose more weight, I want to start focusing on being a better rider and learning to ride in groups.

Who are you?
Bicycling On The Random (Jeremy)

Where are you?
Oregon

How big are you?
240 (Short 5' 8")

What do you ride?
2017 Specialized CrossTrail Disc

How do you ride?
Anything and everything

What are your goals?
Build up stanima so I can take a trip to the coast on my bike (75miles). Now this is a goal I can more then likely do. As I have in the past at a heavier weight done 50 mile bike rides so it is not that bad. It is the mountains that are kill me. As well as lose around 100lbs

Who are you? Possumpoint

Where are you? Dumfries, VA

How big are you? 6' x 2" @ 232 pounds down from 254. The goal is 200. 71 years old.

What do you ride?Trek FX3 Disk Brakes Hybrid XL 27 sp or Schwinn Trailway 21 sp. Trek was new in August and the Schwinn was pruchased in 2005

How do you ride? Road course with hills 13.1 miles every day. Fastest time to date is 62 minutes.

What are your goals? Riding for weight loss and health benefits. Was diagnosed with edema and borderline high blood pressure in early June. Told to exercise and bike riding is the only exercise I enjoy. Been years since I posted on this forum.

I'm Bruce from Louisville, KY. I"ve bicycled off and on all my life and due to surgeries to both shoulders, stopped riding in 2015. I am now a large Clydesdale at @ 250 pounds. I'm eager to get back on the bike this season. I'm a retired Army Veteraln with 4 combat tours. I struggle with depression and do not have a riding buddy to challenge or encourage me. I'll seek out group rides and hopefully meet some new friends. I typically ride only on weekends because of a busy work schedule, but am eager to get some shorter weekday rides in as well. My short term goals are to ride at least one day every weekend and lose this excess weight. I have a 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 that I love, but thinking of trading up to a carbon Synapse for a more comfortable ride. BTW, my avatar is my first bike; its a Huffy from around 1972.

Welcome, Bruce! If you are wanting riders to challange yourself against, you might consider one of the social activity trackers like Strava or Endomondo. Not only will you be able to connect with other riders and compare results but you can also monitor your own progress.

Reactions: ArmyJeep