Inventing new Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jpage, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. jpage

    jpage Guest

    Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at USA
    Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea. I think it will be a huge seller
    but if i cannot find interest its just dead in the water for now, what do i do or where do i go from
    here. Stumped. [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    I would suggest making sure that your patent is secure, then build a prototype that closely aproximates how the new technology works and how the bike will look. Then take it around to shops so that their employees can debug it for you. Once you've done that, build another prototype and exhibit at one or more of the major bike shows around the country. People (including bike companies) will be forced to look at it.

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at
    > USA Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea. I think it will be a huge
    > seller but if i cannot find interest its just dead in the water for now, what do i do or where do
    > i go from here. Stumped. [email protected]

    Since its already patented, mind posting some images? I'm curious, and the folks here might be able
    to tell you WHY its not attractive to companies.

    Jon Bond as long as its not one of those 8 man tricycles...

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at
    >USA Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea. I think it will be a huge
    >seller but if i cannot find interest its just dead in the water for now, what do i do or where do i
    >go from here. Stumped. [email protected]

    I'll be happy to take a look at it. I probably won't have any interest in building it (unless it's a
    design that can be done in titanium), but I'd give you an educated guess as to buildability and
    marketability (and promise no one else gets to see it unless you say so).

  5. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at
    >USA Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea.

    If it's really patented, tell us about it. At least then you'll know when in the 19th century it was
    first invented and why it didn't work then.

  6. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On 24 Apr 2003 10:12:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at
    >USA Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea. I think it will be a huge
    >seller but if i cannot find interest its just dead in the water for now, what do i do or where do i
    >go from here. Stumped. [email protected]

    First if you have filed a provisional patent, then you do NOT have a patent, you are simply
    protected for a year until you either file or opt not to. If you have filed for a full patent, and
    it has been approved, then you may have some protection.

    I once sat next to the nife fighting instructor from Gunsite on a 15 hour flight. He mentioned that
    the winner of a nife fight is the last one to bleed to death. Patent suits are similar.

    A patent is only solid once it has been tested in the courts. The very first thing the opponent will
    do is attack your patent. That "defense" often succeeds. The patent is only as strong as the
    resources available to defend it. In addition, the quality (and cost) of the original filing often
    determines the ability to defend it later.

    My advise would be to make sureyou have a very strong non disclosure agreement, and comission
    someone to build a prototype. At the same time make sure you have been issued a patent pending, and
    then hit the PR trail with trades like Bicycling Retailing and any other appropriate trades, and see
    if you get any bites from manufacturers. Clearly, you want to sell the patent.

    Good luck! Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com
    Manufacturers of Sink the Stink

  7. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Help im in limbo i have invented what i feel is the next generation Bicycle I have it on file at
    > >USA Patent office but cannot find one company who wants to see my idea. I think it will be a huge
    > >seller but if i cannot find interest its just dead in the water for now, what do i do or where do
    > >i go from here. Stumped. [email protected]
    >
    > I'll be happy to take a look at it. I probably won't have any interest in building it (unless it's
    > a design that can be done in titanium), but I'd give you an educated guess as to buildability and
    > marketability (and promise no one else gets to see it unless you say so).

    Mark is a good man. I'd trust him to keep his word. Besides, if he doesn't, and you do get the
    patent, you can sue him for all he's worth!

    As Mark may tell you, none of the little guys are getting rich in this biz. It's hard to compete
    with $99 dual-suspension MTB's at WalMart. I don't know if even the Autobike folks are making much
    money. Most folks in the bike biz are in it for the love of the machine and/or the sport. Hope
    you're in that group.

    Best of luck on your patent pursuit. Can't wait to see your design.

    -Barry Sanders

  8. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > [email protected]

    I think I found your name on some web pages, but I couldn't find any patents listed under your name
    at the USPTO. Can you give a patent number?

    Regards,

    RFM
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t