Inversion training!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Sheldon, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I am considering buying a inversion training kit consisting of a chin
    up bar and boots. I would like to know if this type of training is as
    good as it claims? Has anyone any experience with this?
    I do suffer from back pain due to a bulging disc and training does help
    but from time to time training does irritate my back. I am impressed
    with what this type of training promises - just skeptical that all.

    Anyone?,

    Sincerely,
    Sheldon

    Tags:

  2. Mack

    Mack Guest

    I have the setup whcih I use on a powerrack. It works for my lower back
    pain. I also do crunches and the unusual angle is a great addition to the
    abs workout. Follow instructions carefully and limit your exposure the first
    few times. I couldn't do it for more than a minute before I became
    uncomfortable. And be careful. You slip, you die or become paralyzed.

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I am considering buying a inversion training kit consisting of a chin
    > up bar and boots. I would like to know if this type of training is as
    > good as it claims? Has anyone any experience with this?
    > I do suffer from back pain due to a bulging disc and training does help
    > but from time to time training does irritate my back. I am impressed
    > with what this type of training promises - just skeptical that all.
    >
    > Anyone?,
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Sheldon

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    well,
    just call me crazy!

  4. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Hi Guys,

    That sounds gay. Nothing wrong with that, but, I thought I'd mention it.

    > I am considering buying a inversion training kit consisting of a chin
    > up bar and boots. I would like to know if this type of training is as
    > good as it claims? Has anyone any experience with this?
    > I do suffer from back pain due to a bulging disc and training does help
    > but from time to time training does irritate my back. I am impressed
    > with what this type of training promises - just skeptical that all.

    Especially for someone with a pre-existing spinal problem, the type of
    inversion you're considering is BAD and DANGEROUS. Boots and a bar give you
    ONE option: complete inversion. That can be too much.

    What you want, what I've used for years, is a tilt table type device,
    allowing anything from 0-100% inversion, easily and safely. Here's an
    example www.bodytrends.com/products/inversion/overeasytable.htm Note that I
    DO NOT necessarily recommend this brand or website. It's just an example.
    I've seen them advertised for less that $200.

    David

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Hi Mack,

    What are the chances of falling? Is the equipment made without such
    safety gurads?
    Since I see only images and not the real thing, I must rely on you for
    more detail. Can you describe a situtation where such an accident might
    happen?

    appreciate your candor,
    Sheldon

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Thanks for your advice David - and for the record - I am not gay,
    sorry.
    This table sounds like a good idea as well.
    It would also be interesting to know why you used this device and how
    has it helped you?

    Cheers,
    Sheldon

  7. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> Hi Guys,

    >That sounds gay. Nothing wrong with that, but, I thought I'd mention it.
    >>
    >> I am considering buying a inversion training kit consisting of a chin
    >> up bar and boots. I would like to know if this type of training is as
    >> good as it claims? Has anyone any experience with this?
    >> I do suffer from back pain due to a bulging disc and training does help
    >> but from time to time training does irritate my back. I am impressed
    >> with what this type of training promises - just skeptical that all.

    >Especially for someone with a pre-existing spinal problem, the type of
    >inversion you're considering is BAD and DANGEROUS. Boots and a bar give you
    >ONE option: complete inversion. That can be too much.
    >
    >What you want, what I've used for years, is a tilt table type device,
    >allowing anything from 0-100% inversion, easily and safely. Here's an
    >example www.bodytrends.com/products/inversion/overeasytable.htm Note that I
    >DO NOT necessarily recommend this brand or website. It's just an example.
    >I've seen them advertised for less that $200.

    If he has a Sam's Club membership, he can get one delivered to his
    door (shipping included) for $167.48 US.

  8. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On 14 Jan 2006 11:16:42 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >and for the record - I am not gay,

    Denile is not a river in Egypt.

  9. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Thanks for your advice David - and for the record - I am not gay,
    > sorry.

    Yeah, that's what those two cowboys in Brokeback mountain said, and, you
    know how that worked out.

    > This table sounds like a good idea as well.

    No. It sounds like a much better, much safer, much more effective, idea.

    > It would also be interesting to know why you used this device and how
    > has it helped you?

    L5-S1 joint compression from being a stupid teenager, many, MANY decades
    ago, and sacroiliac joint compression from lingering stupidity in my 20's.

    90% relief in one day, 99% relief in one week, occasional use nearly
    eliminating any trace of a chronic, life long condition.

    Best money I ever spent.

    Well, maybe not best...there WAS that hooker on my 16th birthday...but, well
    worth it!

    David

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    haha
    Funny...have it your way!

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    haha!
    Ok... if you think that I am gay then that's ok with me.
    Thanks for the insight and info.

    Sheldon

  12. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > Well, maybe not best...there WAS that hooker on my 16th birthday...

    Really?

    Dally

  13. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote
    > David Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Well, maybe not best...there WAS that hooker on my 16th birthday...

    > Really?

    How old is your son?

    David

  14. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>David Cohen wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well, maybe not best...there WAS that hooker on my 16th birthday...

    >>Really?

    > How old is your son?

    One's turning 13, the other is 6.

    Dally

  15. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:28:22 GMT, "David Cohen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeah, that's what those two cowboys in Brokeback mountain said, and, you
    >know how that worked out.

    I missed that movie. So, were they? Or I mean, did they? You know...

  16. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On 14 Jan 2006 11:47:53 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >haha!
    >Ok... if you think that I am gay then that's ok with me.
    >Thanks for the insight and info.
    >
    >Sheldon

    Please "Shelly", we all know nobody named "Sheldon" could possibly be
    straight.

  17. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote
    > David Cohen wrote:

    >>>Really?

    >> How old is your son?

    > One's turning 13, the other is 6.

    In three years, bring the older one on a vacation to Las Vegas. His birthday
    present awaits him a short hour drive over the county line.

    David

  18. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>David Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Dally" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>>How old is your son?

    >>One's turning 13, the other is 6.

    > In three years, bring the older one on a vacation to Las Vegas. His birthday
    > present awaits him a short hour drive over the county line.

    Everyone has a claim on that boy. When he's 14 I'm supposed to send him
    into the Michigan woods with my natal menfolk to shoot something.

    Turning cutey-pie little boys into men is a tougher job that it seems
    for a mother.

    Dally

  19. Mack

    Mack Guest

    I don't think the chances of falling are great, or we would have heard about
    cases and the chances of a lawsuit would stop anyone from manufacturing or
    distributing the boots. The boots do use a mechanical device to lock the
    boots to the plastic hooks which loop over the bar. That makes me a bit
    nervous but maybe I'm just a nancy. As for D. Cohen's advice, using an
    inversion table is the more conservative approach, but I didn't think I
    needed that. If you're reasonably healthy and not too screwed up in the
    back, the boots should be fine. Most of all, you have to read the
    instructions and go easy the first few times out. If you have any
    reservations, get the table (no pun intended).

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Mack,
    >
    > What are the chances of falling? Is the equipment made without such
    > safety gurads?
    > Since I see only images and not the real thing, I must rely on you for
    > more detail. Can you describe a situtation where such an accident might
    > happen?
    >
    > appreciate your candor,
    > Sheldon

  20. David