Invisibility cloak of fluoro yellow

Duncan

Guest
I had my first real near-death experience on my commute this
morning... it's only taken 10 years of bicycle commuting.

Coming through a medium-sized single-lane roundabout with late
visibility on my left (cannot see traffic until about 10m from
roundabout, similarly, they can't see you), I was level with the
middle island travelling at a fair clip (20km/h?) when some idiot in
a 4wd, obviously without his white cane, entered on my left without
slowing.

I had enough time to scream "stop" at the top of my voice and
reflexively swerve to the right.. I think I passed no more than 1-2m
in front of him while he drove at about 20-30km/h towards me... not
sure how much he missed my rear wheel by.

I didn't see him brake, swerve or even acknowledge my existence, even
after I had passed directly in front of him.

I can only think that he was busy looking further up the road behind
me and didn't even bother looking into the roundabout.

I would have made a very bloody and angry hood ornament.

On Sep 17, 12:50 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had my first real near-death experience on my commute this
> morning... it's only taken 10 years of bicycle commuting.
>
> Coming through a medium-sized single-lane roundabout with late
> visibility on my left (cannot see traffic until about 10m from
> roundabout, similarly, they can't see you), I was level with the
> middle island travelling at a fair clip (20km/h?) when some idiot in
> a 4wd, obviously without his white cane, entered on my left without
> slowing.
>
> I had enough time to scream "stop" at the top of my voice and
> reflexively swerve to the right.. I think I passed no more than 1-2m
> in front of him while he drove at about 20-30km/h towards me... not
> sure how much he missed my rear wheel by.
>
> I didn't see him brake, swerve or even acknowledge my existence, even
> after I had passed directly in front of him.
>
> I can only think that he was busy looking further up the road behind
> me and didn't even bother looking into the roundabout.
>
> I would have made a very bloody and angry hood ornament.

Yep, they'll do that...

BTH