Iodized Salt

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> From http://www.poundshed.com/hs/milkthistle.htm
>
> Foods, rich in iodine are asparagus, dulse, garlic, saltwater fish, sea salt, iodized salt like
> everyday table salt, lima beans, soybeans, Swiss chard, summer squash, mushrooms, spinach, turnip
> greens, and kelp! You can get too much iodine and some symptoms of that may include a metallic
> taste in your mouth ,

<snip>

That's it! I've actually had that metallic taste in my mouth and read one time that it's a
malfunction of some body part, but wasn't interested in the subject when I read about it. The
metallic taste probably occured during the time period when I made a different type of squash as my
vegetable each night for dinner... In my mind, I ate a wide variety of vegetables.

LOL

Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:39:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>>I think seaweed is a rich source and I'm now noshing on some seaweed-wrapped rice crackers. I
>>>very much doubt that if someone switches to un-iodized salt for cooking, they're going to suffer
>>>serious consequences.
>
>>I'm sure you're right. I haven't used iodized salt for years and have suffered no consequences.
>>Oh, I love those rice crackers!
>
> A one-pound bag with little bags inside, for $3. There were 3 flavors -- I picked the 'hot mate'
> which includes (a few) wasabi peas and some longish individually-wrapped crackers in seaweed.
> Crunch, crunch.

You forced me to pick up a couple of packages today at Trader Joe's! Now I've got to calculate the
WW points! ;-(

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sure you're right. I haven't used iodized salt for years and have suffered no consequences. Oh,
>I love those rice crackers!

if you're worried, take a multi-vitamin with minerals.

your pal, blake

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >So if we use kosher and sea salts exclusively, will we develop thyroid problems from lack of
> >iodine?

I take a dailt multi-vitamin which claims to provide all the needed iodine. Simple solution

>So if we use kosher and sea salts exclusively, will we develop thyroid problems from lack
>of iodine?

Not at all; sea salt has plenty of iodine (and other trace minerals). The distinction you should
make is not between sea salt and iodized salt but between sea salt and "uniodized" salt, that has
been purified to pure NaCl (plus anti-clogging agents).

Neil