IOW Randonee this Sunday

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I am going for this but need to start as early as poss (ie before 10 am). Is there usually any
    problem getting over with bike on the Portsmouth-Fishbourne Ferry? Don't want to book a specific
    sailing due to the vagueries of South Central Trains.

    Tags:

  2. Jan

    Jan Guest

    martin wrote:
    > I am going for this but need to start as early as poss (ie before 10 am). Is there usually any
    > problem getting over with bike on the Portsmouth-Fishbourne Ferry? Don't want to book a specific
    > sailing due to the vagueries of South Central Trains.

    No need to go round to the car ferry. Just come over on the catamaran from Portsmouth train station
    to Ryde pier head. And no need to book on either ferry if just bringing a cycle.

    Jan

    ---

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    .

    > No need to go round to the car ferry. Just come over on the catamaran from Portsmouth train
    > station to Ryde pier head. And no need to book on either ferry if just bringing a cycle.

    Thanks, I used the Fishbourne route as did not fancy riding up the main road from Ryde. Excellent
    ride. Much harder than L2B. Harder than a few 200k's in fact.Anyone who has not done it, make a
    diary date for next year.

  4. Jan

    Jan Guest

    martin wrote:
    > .
    >>
    >> No need to go round to the car ferry. Just come over on the catamaran from Portsmouth train
    >> station to Ryde pier head. And no need to book on either ferry if just bringing a cycle.
    >>

    > Thanks, I used the Fishbourne route as did not fancy riding up the main road from Ryde. Excellent
    > ride. Much harder than L2B. Harder than a few 200k's in fact.Anyone who has not done it, make a
    > diary date for next year.

    Glad you enjoyed your day. Wasn't the weather fantastic. After reading the local paper I realised
    that the nearest start checkpoint for you mainlanders would probably be Havenstreet, so Fishbourne
    would have been the best route over.

    Jan

    ---

  5. Mark Drayton

    Mark Drayton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, martin wrote:
    > Excellent ride. Much harder than L2B. Harder than a few 200k's in fact.Anyone who has not done it,
    > make a diary date for next year.

    It was certainly knackering with the wind and the hills! I made the loop 66 miles and completed it
    in 3h59m. The weather was fantastic; my arms are brown and I have helmets strap marks on my face!

    See you next year!

    Mark

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    Mark Drayton wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, martin wrote:
    > > Excellent ride. Much harder than L2B. Harder than a few 200k's in fact.Anyone who has not done
    > > it, make a diary date for next year.
    >
    > It was certainly knackering with the wind and the hills! I made the loop 66 miles and completed it
    > in 3h59m. The weather was fantastic;

    I started (with my daughter, 15) from Yarmouth and we had the hardest wind and hills first. I
    decided on the bike, not the trice, and it was still a real grovel at times, but mostly enjoyable.
    Best part was reaching the top of Blackgang with an ice cream van serving tea and cakes. It took us
    just under five hours riding but we left it a bit late, requiring some hard bit and bit averaging
    20mph+ to make the cut by just three minutes. Worst bit was no tea at the finish :-(( , so it was a
    grumbling slog back up to Totland YH.

    Anyone know how many rode? It didn't seem to be that many, yet 1000+ rode last year.

    Today, the ride home was perfect. 60 miles tailwind all the way.

    John B

  7. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 05 May 2003 20:55:39 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Drayton wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, martin wrote:
    >> > Excellent ride. Much harder than L2B. Harder than a few 200k's in fact.Anyone who has not done
    >> > it, make a diary date for next year.
    >>
    >> It was certainly knackering with the wind and the hills! I made the loop 66 miles and completed
    >> it in 3h59m. The weather was fantastic;

    Blimey. My wife says that's not possible :).

    >I started (with my daughter, 15) from Yarmouth and we had the hardest wind and hills first. I
    >decided on the bike, not the trice, and it was still a real grovel at times, but mostly enjoyable.
    >Best part was reaching the top of Blackgang with an ice cream van serving tea and cakes. It took us
    >just under five hours riding but we left it a bit late, requiring some hard bit and bit avearaging
    >20mph+ to make the cut by just three minutes. Worst bit was no tea at the finish :-(( , so it was a
    >grumbling slog back up to Totland YH.

    Five hours? Good going. Top marks to that 15 y.o daughter.

    We did it on our Pino funny looking tandem along with two not-so-keen-cycling friends on solos and
    took 9 hours dead.

    We had three punctures between us, the first on the way to the start when my friend the Cheating
    Czech had his about to disintegrate front tyre go off with a bang. Mr. Organised here had put a
    folding tyre in the luggage so we fitted that and my only spare tube. (My friends were less well
    prepared, carrying no spares).

    We got a snake bite somewhere near Wroxall and I couldn't find the holes nor get the bloody valve
    ring off. Bum. A bit of smart thinking and use of a bottle opener on my swiss army knife as a wrench
    did the trick.

    The third was when the folding tyre unmounted itself from the Cheating Czech's front wheel (the rim
    was a bit wide for the 23mm tyre I think). The inner tube had a hole about a quarter of an inch wide
    and half an inch long and we had no spare. (at this point Cat Head (the other friend) remarked it
    would be useful to carry spare innertubes on a ride like this. I nearly did him an unpleasantness.)
    A big patch reinforced with insulating tape did the job. A nice bodge.

    And we got interviewed by the local paper at the Havenstreet start.

    Tim

  8. Mark Drayton

    Mark Drayton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tim Hall wrote:
    > > Mark Drayton wrote:
    > > > It was certainly knackering with the wind and the hills! I made the loop 66 miles and
    > > > completed it in 3h59m. The weather was fantastic;
    >
    > Blimey. My wife says that's not possible :).

    My legs agree!

    > And we got interviewed by the local paper at the Havenstreet start.

    We got interviewed by Cycling Weekly at Havenstreet :)

    Cheers,

    Mark