Iowa Christian Cycling - NEW WEBSITE!

This is one of the mission statements of the International Christian Cycling Club

To expose each cyclist we encounter to the love and peace of Jesus Christ, so they may want to have a relationship with Him.
If you meet a rider trying to do that at least you'll get that extra spurt of energy to make the break!

Let me be blunt (again):

This is a CYCLING forum. If I were in the business of selling bike accessories and tried to post a free ad by means of posting here, I suppose it would be considered spam. How is this different?

It never ceases to give me an "extra burst of energy" when someone who wants to share their religious views with me does not have the same interest in my sharing my religious views with them.

I think that the next time this happens, I will be blunt - again - and tell such person that I find his or her "one and only way" to the almighty to be most arrogant at best and insulting to my own very strongly held belief that there is no one way (assuming for the sake of argument that there is ANY way).

Saus said:
Let me be blunt (again):

This is a CYCLING forum. If I were in the business of selling bike accessories and tried to post a free ad by means of posting here, I suppose it would be considered spam. How is this different?

It never ceases to give me an "extra burst of energy" when someone who wants to share their religious views with me does not have the same interest in my sharing my religious views with them.

I think that the next time this happens, I will be blunt - again - and tell such person that I find his or her "one and only way" to the almighty to be most arrogant at best and insulting to my own very strongly held belief that there is no one way (assuming for the sake of argument that there is ANY way).
rdk was making a joke. If you set aside your own hostility, bigotry, and intolerance long enough, you might have thought it was funny. :D

I do appreciate the humor in getting a shot of energy from a shot of proselitization.

I appreciate your take on my post, because it indicates that my post apparently may have conveyed something somewhat different from what I intended and feel. I am opposed to bigotry and intolerance (except that I'm bigoted against bigotry and intolerant of intolerance) and I find that exclusionary views that espouse the "one true way" have created more hostility than peace. Religion appears to me to be the epitome of bigotry and intolerance.

Of this, however, I truly feel intolerant: That someone who finds it important to share his or her religious views with me almost always has no interest hearing about my own religious views. I feel intolerant of that, although I would do what I can to protect their right to espouse their views. I treat the LDS elders and Jehovah's Witnesses that come to my door with courtesy, notwithstanding that I myself find religion in most cases to be the end rather than the beginning of discovery.

My own family members respectively embrace different religions and views of religion - Luthern, Jewish, Catholic, Islam, Methodist, atheist and agnostic. I tolerate and them all notwithstanding. I behave resectfully and courteously toward then all, and I expect to be afforded the same from each of them.

The first post in this thread is spam for another web site that obviously - at least, obviously to me - is for an exclusionary group. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. In my opinion, the post has no business being here. The views of the moderators may differ, and of course, I will defer to the moderators.

Saus said:
I do appreciate the humor in getting a shot of energy from a shot of proselitization.

I appreciate your take on my post, because it indicates that my post apparently may have conveyed something somewhat different from what I intended and feel. I am opposed to bigotry and intolerance (except that I'm bigoted against bigotry and intolerant of intolerance) and I find that exclusionary views that espouse the "one true way" have created more hostility than peace. Religion appears to me to be the epitome of bigotry and intolerance.

Of this, however, I truly feel intolerant: That someone who finds it important to share his or her religious views with me almost always has no interest hearing about my own religious views. I feel intolerant of that, although I would do what I can to protect their right to espouse their views. I treat the LDS elders and Jehovah's Witnesses that come to my door with courtesy, notwithstanding that I myself find religion in most cases to be the end rather than the beginning of discovery.

My own family members respectively embrace different religions and views of religion - Luthern, Jewish, Catholic, Islam, Methodist, atheist and agnostic. I tolerate and them all notwithstanding. I behave resectfully and courteously toward then all, and I expect to be afforded the same from each of them.

The first post in this thread is spam for another web site that obviously - at least, obviously to me - is for an exclusionary group. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. In my opinion, the post has no business being here. The views of the moderators may differ, and of course, I will defer to the moderators.
I would just like to gently point out that if you want to do what you can to protect their right to espouse their views, you wouldn't care about someone posting a link to a cycling club that some other people might be interested in. In other words you are against the posting of the link because you disagree with the views of the people in the group. That is exclusionary.

If someone posted a link to an atheist/agnostic cycling club, I doubt Christians would mind. They probably wouldn't want to join, but it wouldn't be an insult to people who aren't atheist/agnostics.

In other words, most tolerant people would simply ignore links to clubs that they would disagree with, and move on to posts that interest them.

I have to say, the moderators let people have plenty of freedom on this forum, making it a very tolerant place to be. :)

And I have to ask....what are the holidays like at your house? :D

You make some excellent points, nns, and they're food for thought. I did have kind of a knee jerk reaction, didn't I? :rolleyes:

Holidays here are fun, because more members of the family are together, except for Thanksgiving, which is REALLY fun, because we vacate the area and go to Palm Beach - alone, together, AT LAST!:D

Thanks for sticking with it and reflecting back to me.

It's cool.:cool:

P.S. You all are free to join The Rolling Agnostics.

No one is excluded, whether full carbon, titanium, alu-alloy, or chromoly. Folks that ride fat tires, too - some of my best friends ride fat tires . . . . but i wouldn't want my daughter to marry one. Since I have only sons, it's moot anyway.
If you're an agnostic yourself, we'll enjoy the support. If you're a true believer, we can enjoy the lively ;) discussion.

I bet that the giant wooden cross on your back makes those long uphills a real challenge, and how does the helmet fit over the thorns?

SaintsFan, at whom is your shot directed, and what's your point?

Well good morning all. I would reply in detail, but the replies speak for themselves. It is what it is.

KittyHawk1, I stand chastized and corrected. You have my sincerest and humblest apologies. Best wishes for your biking fellowship.

Saus said:
SaintsFan, at whom is your shot directed, and what's your point?
I suppose it was directed at KittyHawk, but it was really just supposed to be an over-the-top if not slightly offensive joke to ease the tension in this thread and try to get everyone to ease off.

Apologies accepted... "and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us" Have a great day, all!