iPhone/Touch owners and tracking software

TheQuicksilver

Jan 25, 2008
So, after some trouble with my last cyclecomputer, I decided to try something different. Having an iPhone, I thought it'd be interesting to get an iPhone mount, use the GPS, and even have a "radio" to listen to (with the speaker, not headphones).

I'm wondering how other people have felt about this. My first concern is the battery. I've looked into some solar battery add ons for the dock, but the ones I've seen face down, not up (so not much good for live trickle charging). Obviously you could kill wifi and the backlight to probably free up some juice, but will it handle a 4-6 hour ride if needed? I'm betting not.

Second is software. I'm playing with three apps: MotionX GPSLite, RunKeeper, and iMapMyRide. All have free versions.

MotionX's paid version is only $2.99, and the app itself seems to be pretty robust all around, but it lacks a web interface. The free version is still quite good, but is limited it track and waypoint saving (the only app of the three that had waypoints, from what I saw).

RunKeeper looks good, seems to have a decent web portal component, but the web side appears to lack a route preplanning tools. It's also more expensive at $9.99 for the pro version. The only difference appears to be ad support between the two and audio cues (which I don't really care about).

iMapMyRide has probably the best web portal by far and allows route planning or manual ride entering. But I've heard stories about problems running the app, and their site has a bothersome tiered membership structure which could get costly over time if the free service isn't enough.

What have you had success with or prefer, or even if you haven't used them, do you have any thoughts that you think might be of value in weighing them? I figure I can hardly go wrong, any of the apps would be cheaper than even a decent cyclocomputer, and WAY cheaper than a GPS unit.

I'm surprised, no iPhone GPS users out there yet? I figured this would be a hot area, maybe I over-estimated.

FWIW, I'm leaning more towards RunKeeper now. They have someone active on Twitter who tells me that they are planning a lot more stuff coming soon, like the ability to preplan routes, and manually enter trips.

TheQuicksilver said:
So, after some trouble with my last cyclecomputer, I decided to try something different. Having an iPhone, I thought it'd be interesting to get an iPhone mount, use the GPS, and even have a "radio" to listen to (with the speaker, not headphones).

Well, it might be somewhat interesting, although it is clear that you will not match the utility of something like the Garmin Edge, say, with an iPhone. I have looked into this myself, but the problems already start with the mount. I have looked for solutions on the web, but what I've seen invariably does not seem really optimal for bicycle use, and typically looks quite awkward. Have you seen any good mounts?

And, yes, the next big problem will be battery life, I think. Evene the four hours you quote might be optimistic.

On the other hand, the iPhone offers some opportunities that other bicycle computers don't have. For example, your iPhone could upload your current position, speed, etc. to some website in real time, allowing third parties to follow your progress, to aid in coaching, possibly even during a race. Unfortunately, there is no software or onfrastructure for this available. Oh, and no cadence, heart rate, or power...

The mount I saw that didn't seem too bad was [ame=http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-detachable-Mount-Swivel-Feature/dp/B001QVH7W6]Amazon.com: iPhone detachable Bike Mount Kit with Swivel Feature: Sports & Outdoors[/ame], but then again, the reviews are so-so on it. Seems like it'd go nice on my mounting nub right in the middle of my aero bars. What would be awesome is if someone built a mount that also had a, say 800 or 1600mAH, battery built in to it.

Anyway, luckily for me, my biggest needs are speed and distance. The automapping is great too, but I can do that manually if needed, and elevation is a bonus. I've never really cared to monitor heart, cadence, or anything else really. Yeah, a $10 computer could do what I need then, but I HAVE the iPhone, so I figure if I can get it to do a bunch of cool extra stuff for me, why not?

I'd go for the $10 computer rather than risk damaging my iPhone.....if I had an iPhone. What happens to the iPhone in rain or in a crash.....or when the mount fails?

IMHO, there's nothing that would ruin a ride quicker than getting a call during a ride, except maybe listening to music during a ride.

A cheap computer seems like a no-brainer: better speed and distance measurement; way smaller investment; ususally stands up to the elements better; and typically have mounts that are much better.

Yep, I think you're right. One of the reviewers of the mount the OP linked to actually had his iPhone fall off that crummy mount. It survived, but doesn't look as good anymore. Good point about the elements, too: An iPhone will not like riding in the rain at all...

all the apps for gps tracking kill the battery. I bought the mapmyride app. it stopped recording a few times and other times it worked ok, not as accurate in terms of speed and distance as a bike computer. i use a non lubricated condom and make a knot at the bottom. makes it sweat proof/rain proof (not 100% water proof). works good.

gn1tmac said:
i use a non lubricated condom and make a knot at the bottom. makes it sweat proof/rain proof (not 100% water proof). works good.

So, you like getting it on outside in the rain? :cool:
And, yeah, I bet the lady likes that knot... :D

Hi,

I've been using the Tune Up for a few months. While it's expensive, the sound quality is unbelievable. The upside is that my wife is relieved I'm not wearing headphones while riding anymore. I keep a Ziploc freezer bag and a rubber band in my saddlebag and throw the bag over the whole thing and secure it with the rubber band when it looks like it might get wet out. The sound still comes through the bag. The unit itself has a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery which lasts about 16 hours. The nice thing is that it has a quick release to remove the speakers but leave the mount behind. Just an FYI for anyone else looking. It works with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and later generation iPods.

Cheers,
-Mike

The Tune-Up : FREE SHIPPING: Google Checkout available.
TU7.jpg

ibmiked said:
Hi,

I've been using the Tune Up for a few months. While it's expensive, the sound quality is unbelievable. The upside is that my wife is relieved I'm not wearing headphones while riding anymore. I keep a Ziploc freezer bag and a rubber band in my saddlebag and throw the bag over the whole thing and secure it with the rubber band when it looks like it might get wet out. The sound still comes through the bag. The unit itself has a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery which lasts about 16 hours. The nice thing is that it has a quick release to remove the speakers but leave the mount behind. Just an FYI for anyone else looking. It works with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and later generation iPods.

Cheers,
-Mike

The Tune-Up : FREE SHIPPING: Google Checkout available.
TU7.jpg

My head hurts.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is something I feel strongly about. Disclaimer: I don't work for the company but am a user who LOVES it.

RunKeeper is amazing and getting better every day. I honestly believe that every iphone owner who is active should have this app. It is great for tracking your rides. The company has made recent modifications to prolong battery life and say that if done properly (3g, wifi, and bluetooth turned off) on a full battery it should last almost 5 hours. This week they come out with a new feature that allows others to track your ride on-line while you are performing your ride (see this video as an example: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL81NLe8iy4]YouTube - RunKeeper Live[/ame] ) Great feature for races or for your spouse/kids to view while you are away on a ride.

I suggest downloading the RunKeeper Lite - Free version first. Give it a shot. The $10 Pro version isn't much different. They do have a subscription service that gives you access to various other report features as well as the Live tracking feature. You can also take pictures while you ride and they will show up on the map at the location where you took it.

I came across this app while training for a 1/2 marathon. Since then I now use it for my rides (mounted to my handle bars but sometime put it in my jersey). I have also used it to track snowboarding trips and golf outings.

Maybe the best thing about the RunKeeper software is that it is constantly getting better. The company releases (free) updates almost weekly; announcing new features. The CEO and founder is always on Facebook or Twitter. If you have a question or a feature suggestion, they are VERY responsive.

Examples of my usages:
Cycling: My RunKeeper 2.26 mi Activity
Running: My RunKeeper 2.26 mi Activity
Golf (7 holes): My RunKeeper 2.26 mi Activity
Snowboarding: My RunKeeper 2.26 mi Activity
Running in Aruba and taking pictures (not me): My RunKeeper 9.91 mi Running Activity

Hope you guys find this app as helpful in your training as I do.

Cheers!
Jim

I use Runkeeper Pro on my iphone 3gs on just about every ride. The interface on the iphone is pretty straightforward and easy to use. I most appreciate the ability to upload and track on their web interface. Everything works with no complaints and they seem to constantly being improving the app and web interface. I recently received an email from them that says you can now somehow do live tracking of your ride on the web.

Only real issue that I have is that I often push the limits of the iphone battery life on 50+ mile rides while using this app.

I recommend giving this app a whirl.

I decided to save myself the money from buying a bike computer and got the $3 MotionX GPS app on my iPhone. For $3, this little app is the best purchase I've made. Its awesome. It does everything a bike computer does with incredible accuracy. It will record your track on a map so that you can go back and look at it after your ride or share it with others with a convenient share feature that automatically emails it for you. It has iPod controls built into the app as well that make it very convenient to listen to music and change songs while you ride. You also do not need cell phone reception for the app to work accurately. Because of the GPS chip in the iPhone you only need a clear view of the sky. For it to show you a map you need cell phone reception; however, the app allows you to upload and store maps so that if you are going to ride in an area with no reception you don't have to worry about it. There is a lot more that this little app can do than what I've described. I highly recommend you check it out.

Here is a link to the company/application website with more information MotionX? by Fullpower |

Use a pda/gps. While it's not a cheap option, in my opinion you can't beat it for tracking.

I have owned a Mio 168 for a few years now & with mapping software you can set a route to follow, record the track as you go, get speed, height etc. & if you get lost find your way home. I have fitted a spare mount to my bike & tried it today, worked well.

Uploading tracks to or downloading routes from a pc is simple, tracks & routes can be stored & viewed on pc but I use a bike computer for the main log as it bases it's averages on actual riding time (excluding any stops I make).

I have recently downloaded the SprintGPS software into my 3G. I went on a short 10 mile loop to check it out and was amazed what it would do for £3.00 approx compared with £400.00 ish for the Garmin 800.
I then went on one of my usual circuits over the Mendip hills in Somerset UK which is some 60 miles and found its limitation. The battery despite being fully charged when I left was completely drained after 2 hours. Since I am often out for some 5 to 6 hours, this is useless. I tried switching off all rhe other drains on the power but this made little difference.
I have looked at some of the battery back ups on the Apple site such as the solar panel jobbie and one or two others but really do want some feedback form other cycling users as to their experience. Hopefully I do not have to resort to the Garmin??????

While it's a little heavy (adds about a pound or so), I use a 14.4V cordless drill battery, then I have a 12V vehicle power port with alligator clips that I hook to the battery and plug a car charger into that and my iPhone. With the phone and battery both fully charged, I can ride 6 hours and still show full charge on the phone. I figure total ride time could be as high as 18 hours with the cordless drill battery. The cordless drill battery goes in my seat pack, then the car charger runs along the top tube, wrapped around it once or twice to hold it in place.

Jason

I have purchased another Mio168 off ebay. After fitting a flying lead to it I can used a battery extender (4AA batteries) & this will power the unit in excess of 12 hours. With OS mapping & a large screen I find it ideal for what I want. Total outlay in the region of £50 but that excludes OS mapping.