ipod mini - tough enough for running?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Moik, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Moik

    Moik Guest

    hello,

    i am thinking of buying an ipod mini - but i worry that it
    isnt tough enough. i am currently using a rio s35s that has
    256 megs of memory and holds about 4 hours of music.

    i like it but also hate it. first of all i am on my *second*
    rio s35s. the first one i dropped (it falls off while
    running) about fifty times before it completely broke. also
    the earbud wires broke and i lost the plastic clip case!
    second of all the little plastic shell on the new rio s35s
    that is used to clip onto your shorts, etc., is a total
    disaster - it doesnt fit the player and the holes are in the
    wrong places making it difficult to change the volume and
    even turn on and off. the sound quality is just fine.

    i worry about shelling out 250 bucks for the ipod mini and
    breaking it the first day. i am a big, clumsy, sweaty
    clydesdale marathoner that primarily trains on trails. i
    prefer not to use an arm band since my fingers sometimes
    swell after long runs and hikes to begin w and a tourniquet
    around the arm can only accentuate this.

    the ipod is attractive because i could use it at home w the
    stereo, and it holds enough that i could get rid of most of
    my cds. also my wife would like it for audio books. also it
    is simply too cool - i need one.

    i already know the answer to this question. get an ipod for
    home and use the nearly good enough rio s35s for training.

    THANKS!

    moik

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (moik) wrote in news:80cffadf.0403070851.2e57cc68
    @posting.google.com:

    > hello,
    >
    > i am thinking of buying an ipod mini - but i worry that it
    > isnt tough enough. i am currently using a rio s35s that
    > has 256 megs of memory and holds about 4 hours of music.
    >
    > i like it but also hate it. first of all i am on my
    > *second* rio s35s. the first one i dropped (it falls
    > off while running) about fifty times before it
    > completely broke.

    Are you just holding it or using the clip on thing that
    comes with it? I'd suggest going to a holder designed for
    running such as Tune Belt

    http://www.tunebelt.com/md2

    > also the earbud wires broke and i lost the plastic clip
    > case! second of all the little plastic shell on the new
    > rio s35s that is used to clip onto your shorts, etc., is a
    > total disaster - it doesnt fit the player and the holes
    > are in the wrong places making it difficult to change the
    > volume and even turn on and off.

    I agree with you there. That's why I use the Tune Belt

    > also it is simply too cool - i need one.

    Well, then if you NEED one, then go for it. ;-)

    > i already know the answer to this question. get an ipod
    > for home and use the nearly good enough rio s35s for
    > training.

    Yes. The iPod is cool. Do that.

    Phil

    --
    If you can empty your own boat Crossing the river of the
    world, No one will oppose you, No one will seek to harm you.

  3. C.G.

    C.G. Guest

    I don't know about the mini, but the original seems to be fairly tough.
    http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html

    --
    Colm

    "moik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : hello,
    :

  4. moik wrote:

    >i worry about shelling out 250 bucks for the ipod mini and
    >breaking it the first day. i am a big, clumsy, sweaty
    >clydesdale marathoner that primarily trains on trails.

    I would worry about anything with a hard drive in it when it
    comes to running. Sure, if you don't jump around between
    tracks that it won't have to spin up the disk too often, but
    seconds, during which time you can crash the heads. This is
    based on my experience with an iRiver iHP-120 (not crashing,
    just that the hard drive light flashes for a while when it
    updates its cache).

    Personally I think the iPod Mini is gimick considering what
    you get for $50 less than the full blown thing.

    >the ipod is attractive because

    It's attractive yes, and it has the most intuitive
    interface, but that's about it compared with the
    competition. Let's not talk about the 8 hr battery life that
    will shorten by 20% in a year...

    > i could use it at home w the stereo, and it holds enough
    > that i could get rid of most of my cds. also my wife would
    > like it for audio books. also it is simply too cool - i
    > need one.

    iRiver iHP-1x0 has optical and analogue line out. Rio Karma
    probably does too. This will sound better on the stereo.
    Rio Karma also supports FLAC (I get about 40% compression
    with this) and so will sound the best if you have a good
    stereo. 20GB will probably only give you 50-60 albums worth
    in FLAC format.

    Malc

  5. David

    David Guest

    BTW... rumors are that the full-sized iPod will soon be
    available in a 60GB version. In case anyone is interested.

    --
    Nova Scotia, Canada

  6. Sotampacane

    Sotampacane Guest

    I have no views on running with ipods, although I know they
    are a tremendous device and people who own them love them.

    But I am categorically against anyone running with
    headphones. Its just too dangerous and not worth the risk
    (unless of course you are lucky enough to run someplace
    where no cars exist-good luck).

    We had a runner die a month ago on our streets, and its been
    suggested in both print and from people who are familiar
    with the runner that a headset was being worn that day.
    While the driver was going much too fast, the inability to
    hear traffic (exacerbated by running in the darkness, when
    you can't see much either) had to have played a role in
    this. I've heard about 3 such cases and I suspect that there
    are many others.

    And forget traffic. Why a woman would ever wear a headset to
    listen to music while running is baffling. In this day and
    age, to assume you can protect yourself against an attacker
    who you can't hear is asking for trouble.

    Just 'don't' do it. If running is not interesting enough,
    and you need to hear music, do it on a treadmill. Not on
    the roads.

  7. Hottie

    Hottie Guest

    [email protected] (sotampacane) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > We had a runner die a month ago on our streets, and its
    > > been suggested
    > in both print and from people who are familiar with the
    > runner that a headset was being worn that day. While the
    > driver was going much too fast, the inability to hear
    > traffic (exacerbated by running in the darkness, when you
    > can't see much either) had to have played a role in this.
    > I've heard about 3 such cases and I suspect that there are
    > many others.

    So three out of billions of runners? Pretty tiny percentage.

    > And forget traffic. Why a woman would ever wear a headset
    > to listen to music while running is baffling. In this day
    > and age, to assume you can protect yourself against an
    > attacker who you can't hear is asking for trouble.

    You are assuming she needs to hear and/or protect herself.
    Is that from personal experience? Is that you lieing in wait
    in the bushes?

    > Just 'don't' do it. If running is not interesting enough,
    > and you need to hear music, do it on a treadmill. Not on
    > the roads.

    Look stupid, one word: trails. Of course with your level of
    paranoia you'll claim she won't hear the bear attacker her,
    or the herd of elephants coming to trample her, or she'll
    get sunburn, or... well we got the picture.

  8. Moik

    Moik Guest

    [email protected] (sotampacane) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have no views on running with ipods, although I know
    > they are a tremendous device and people who own them
    > love them.
    >
    > But I am categorically against anyone running with
    > headphones. Its just too dangerous and not worth the risk
    > (unless of course you are lucky enough to run someplace
    > where no cars exist-good luck).

    i generally run on trails where there is only bike traffic;
    but i have used headphones on the road and i try to stay
    vigilant. it is a risk. i have found that i can actually
    hear *most* cars, but not all. a risk.

    > And forget traffic. Why a woman would ever wear a headset
    > to listen to music while running is baffling. In this day
    > and age, to assume you can protect yourself against an
    > attacker who you can't hear is asking for trouble.

    well, i guess i should say that i am not a female - i am a
    fairly large, foreboding male. to tell you the truth i do
    use headphones a lot in town, even on roads (even though 80%
    of my runs are on trails)
    - i should mention that i live in southeast oregon. low
    population density, not a lot of traffic. i do a lot of
    trail running in wilderness and semiwilderness areas and i
    do *not* use headphones in these areas - not ever! i have
    had six bear encounters and three mountain lion encounters
    (not to mention a couple of "mad cows") in the past four
    years and need my sense on hearing to be acute while on
    these types of trails.

    > Just 'don't' do it. If running is not interesting enough,
    > and you need to hear music, do it on a treadmill. Not on
    > the roads.

    treadmill running is something that i have done this past
    winter. it *is* a good place to listen to music - but even w
    great music a treadmill is nearly unbearable for anything
    over three miles (for me). now that the weather has been
    nice i can not bear the treadmill.

    btw - i ordered the ipod mini. i think i will still use the
    rio s35s for the long runs, though, because i dont want to
    break my new ipod by dropping it while trail running.

    moik

  9. Sotampacane

    Sotampacane Guest

    > Look stupid, one word: trails. Of course with your level
    > of paranoia you'll claim she won't hear the bear attacker
    > her, or the herd of elephants coming to trample her, or
    > she'll get sunburn, or... well we got the picture.

    I can't believe I'm responding to someone with a group
    name 'Hottie', but do not go around calling people
    stupid when you don't know what the hell you are talking
    about. I'm certainly not stupid and am only trying to
    put forth a different point of view based on recent
    experiences in my city.

    Your comment about '3 out of a billion' demonstrates true
    ignorance, but I'll pass it off as hyperbole. I think the
    running companies would be thrilled to know that there are
    'billions' of runners out there. And we've had 3 incidents
    in a year in my own part of the world, which is either the
    weirdest coincidence or actually an indication of how
    difficult its becoming on the roads.

    >>You are assuming she needs to hear and/or protect
    >>herself. Is that
    from personal experience? Is that you lieing in wait in
    the bushes?<<

    A comment like this is reprehensible. It's a sad commentary
    that attitudes like yours exist. My concern is protecting
    runners and educating, while your seems to be of ignorance
    of the facts.

    If you can run on trails, good for you. That is not always
    an option for some of us and isn't what I was commenting on.
    But I would still not advocate headphones or music on trails
    because there are enough sick people out there.

    While you are at it, try doing some research on the Linda
    Yalem race in the Buffalo area. A woman attacked and killed
    while running on trails. It happens. Ten years after that
    tragedy, there was a series of attacks on another trail
    around the North Forest area of a Buffalo suburb. And I
    don't even live there anymore, but I know about
    it. That's what I am trying to avoid seeing happen.

    But I'll make an exception in your case. Send me your
    address, and I'll send you my spare CDwalkmen that I use
    on planes. Go out and run in the street with it and turn
    it up to 11.

  10. I saw this thread and just had to post. I purchased an iPod
    mini, and I am highly dissatisfied. Battery life is poor - 2
    hours or so, it locks up very frequently, and the iTunes
    music purchase and transfer thing sucks. If you have the Rio
    now (as we do - the Rio S10), you will be really annoyed and
    feel really stupid when you realize you were suckered into
    purchasing a thing for its looks. Yeah - it looks damn cool.
    But how about functionality?!? My wife took it to the gym,
    all excited about showing off the brandy new green ipod mini
    - and what happens? It locks up. Is this running on Windows
    98 or something?!?

    RE - iTunes - you're stuck to purchasing and copying music
    to the iPod from only ONE machine. If you purchased a song
    on your work PC and expect it to be able to go onto the
    iPod, nope - you're SOL.

    To top it all off, we're attempting to return it to Apple,
    but because they roped us in on the "Free" personalization
    crap (have your name inscribed on it), you can't return it
    or get a refund. Nice way to stick it to your customers
    Apple - real nice.

    Sorry all - but if you are looking for a good unit that is
    functional for running I would NOT recommend the ipod mini.
    At least not now. I say that because I was told by the rep
    on the phone that their tech support team may identify this
    unit as having a manufacturing defect.

    Whatever the case - we're very unhappy with the ipod mini,
    the purchase experience too (the website didn't tell us a
    lot - you had to hunt for it after the fact to notice
    certain small print stuff).

    Be careful if you are thinking of purchasing this unit. I'd
    research other manufacturers first. This product doesn't
    seem like it has been tested much at all.

    Chris

    [email protected] (moik) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > hello,
    >
    > i am thinking of buying an ipod mini - but i worry that it
    > isnt tough enough. i am currently using a rio s35s that
    > has 256 megs of memory and holds about 4 hours of music.
    >
    > i like it but also hate it. first of all i am on my
    > *second* rio s35s. the first one i dropped (it falls off
    > while running) about fifty times before it completely
    > broke. also the earbud wires broke and i lost the plastic
    > clip case! second of all the little plastic shell on the
    > new rio s35s that is used to clip onto your shorts, etc.,
    > is a total disaster - it doesnt fit the player and the
    > holes are in the wrong places making it difficult to
    > change the volume and even turn on and off. the sound
    > quality is just fine.
    >
    > i worry about shelling out 250 bucks for the ipod mini and
    > breaking it the first day. i am a big, clumsy, sweaty
    > clydesdale marathoner that primarily trains on trails. i
    > prefer not to use an arm band since my fingers sometimes
    > swell after long runs and hikes to begin w and a
    > tourniquet around the arm can only accentuate this.
    >
    > the ipod is attractive because i could use it at home w
    > the stereo, and it holds enough that i could get rid of
    > most of my cds. also my wife would like it for audio
    > books. also it is simply too cool - i need one.
    >
    > i already know the answer to this question. get an ipod
    > for home and use the nearly good enough rio s35s for
    > training.
    >
    > THANKS!
    >
    > moik

  11. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    > I saw this thread and just had to post. I purchased an
    > iPod mini, and I am highly dissatisfied. Battery life is
    > poor - 2 hours or so

    Disk-based players have small motors in them which eat
    power. Can be more sensitive to drops or bouncing of
    running.

    The largest flash memory cards are now 1GB for 16 hours of
    music. I'm not sure if any player supports this size. A
    repective price formula is $100 for the basic player
    computer w/o memory and $0.25 per megabyte (music minute) of
    memory. Mini-disks are five times cheaper per gigabyte, but
    mechanical.

  12. Moik

    Moik Guest

    chris,

    thanks for your input. i have already ordered a green ipod
    mini - but i just checked and i see i can still cancel it.
    maybe i will. i'm afraid of breaking the damn thing - but
    when you mention 2 hr battery life and locking up, etc.,
    that really makes me think twice. are you sing it w a mac or
    a windows machine? i'll be using it with a mac, if that
    makes a difference.

    btw - this morning i dropped my *second* rio s35s and i
    think i half broke it. i think the volume control is broken.
    the rio looks pretty sturdy but it is a piece of crap. i
    fell out of my gym bag onto a wooden kitchen floor - about a
    three foot fall! ive had this one for two months!

    moik

    news:<[email protected]>...

  13. [email protected] (sotampacane) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I can't believe I'm responding to someone with a group
    > name 'Hottie',

    Makes you horny, eh?

    > but do not go around calling people stupid when you don't
    > know what the hell you are talking about.

    Oh I do, you're stupid. However it is impossible to explain
    to stupid people why they are stupid, because if they could
    comprehend that thought they wouldn't be stupid.

    > I'm certainly not stupid and am only trying to put forth
    > a different point of view based on recent experiences in
    > my city.

    Paranoiaville, USA?

    > Your comment about '3 out of a billion' demonstrates true
    > ignorance, but I'll pass it off as hyperbole. I think the
    > running companies would be thrilled to know that there are
    > 'billions' of runners out there.

    Once again your ignorance shows. Read "per day" because this
    includes people who do multiple WO's per day.

    > And we've had 3 incidents in a year in my own part of the
    > world, which is either the weirdest coincidence or
    > actually an indication of how difficult its becoming on
    > the roads.

    No, I suspect you are the cause, hiding in the bushes. I've
    called the state police about you, it's just a matter of
    time now...

    > >>You are assuming she needs to hear and/or protect
    > >>herself. Is that
    > from personal experience? Is that you lieing in wait in
    > the bushes?<<
    >
    > A comment like this is reprehensible.

    You do hide in the bushes, dontcha? I knew it...

    >It's a sad commentary that attitudes like yours exist. My
    >concern is protecting runners and educating, while your
    >seems to be of ignorance of the facts.

    I'm surprised you even spelled that right.

    > If you can run on trails, good for you. That is not always
    > an option for some of us and isn't what I was commenting
    > on. But I would still not advocate headphones or music on
    > trails because there are enough sick people out there.

    Like you hiding in the bushes?

    > While you are at it, try doing some research on the Linda
    > Yalem race in the Buffalo area. A woman attacked and
    > killed while running on trails. It happens.

    I hope you have a firm alibi for that day.

    >Ten years after that tragedy, there was a series of attacks
    >on another trail around the North Forest area of a Buffalo
    >suburb. And I don't even live there anymore,

    And these attacks trickled ogff after you moved? Hmmmmmm...

    >but I know about
    > it. That's what I am trying to avoid seeing happen.

    You should see plenty from the bushes.

    > But I'll make an exception in your case. Send me your
    > address, and I'll send you my spare CDwalkmen that I use
    > on planes. Go out and run in the street with it and turn
    > it up to 11.

    TheBillRodgers po box 1053 Westfield, Mass 01085

    Make sure it has fresh batteries too!

  14. moik,

    Used it with a Windows machine, but I don't think that will
    affect the lockups and battery life. If you are not used to
    using iTunes, that'll likely annoy the heck out of you too.

    But, that's just my opinion and my wife's.

    As for toughness by the way - I'd probably recommend
    against any mp3 player that uses a (mechanical) drive vs. a
    memory card. Less moving parts - less that can fail. I
    don't know how much shock an ipod mini can take before it
    really screws with the unit. If you do decide to go with
    the mini - they have an arm or wristband I think which
    would probably be safer for you.. keep in mind all the
    problems I had with it though. I wouldn't recommend it to
    anyone, but who knows - I may have received one of a few
    that has a manufacturing defect.

    If you go with it - I wish you luck.

> [...]

    > > > onto your shorts, etc., is a total disaster - it
    > > > doesnt fit the player and the holes are in the wrong
    > > > places making it difficult to change the volume and
    > > > even turn on and off. the sound quality is just fine.
    > > >
    > > > i worry about shelling out 250 bucks for the ipod mini
    > > > and breaking it the first day. i am a big, clumsy,
    > > > sweaty clydesdale marathoner that primarily trains on
    > > > trails. i prefer not to use an arm band since my
    > > > fingers sometimes swell after long runs and hikes to
    > > > begin w and a tourniquet around the arm can only
    > > > accentuate this.
    > > >
    > > > the ipod is attractive because i could use it at home
    > > > w the stereo, and it holds enough that i could get rid
    > > > of most of my cds. also my wife would like it for
    > > > audio books. also it is simply too cool - i need one.
    > > >
    > > > i already know the answer to this question. get an
    > > > ipod for home and use the nearly good enough rio s35s

  15. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    stupid question here, but i'm a little confused... do you
    *have* to use itunes w/ an ipod? i've got a ton of mp3s
    saved to my hard drive that aren't itunes...does this mean i
    can't transfer them to an ipod?

    "Chris Milkosky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > > you can't return it or get a refund. Nice way to stick
    > > > it to your customers Apple - real nice.
    > > >
    > > > Sorry all - but if you are looking for a good unit
    > > > that is functional for running I would NOT recommend
    > > > the ipod mini. At least not now. I say that because I
    > > > was told by the rep on the phone that their tech
    > > > support team may identify this unit as having a
    > > > manufacturing defect.
    > > >
    > > > Whatever the case - we're very unhappy with the ipod
    > > > mini, the purchase experience too (the website didn't
    > > > tell us a lot - you had to hunt for it after the fact
    > > > to notice certain small print stuff).
    > > >
    > > > Be careful if you are thinking of purchasing this
    > > > unit. I'd research other manufacturers first. This
    > > > product doesn't seem like it has been tested much at
    > > > all.
    > > >
    > > > Chris
    > > >
    > > > [email protected] (moik) wrote in message

  16. Bumper

    Bumper Guest

    iTunes is just a program that plays mp3's, it allows for
    creating playlists and moving files on to an iPod. It
    will move any mp3 not just the ones purchased from the
    Apple site.

    There are some shareware programs that will move files to
    and from the iPod, but there really isn't any reason not to
    use iTunes since it free and works very well. The
    aforementioned programs are best for moving files if you
    have more than one computer to sync with.

    Zgirl <[email protected]> wrote:

    > stupid question here, but i'm a little confused... do you
    > *have* to use itunes w/ an ipod? i've got a ton of mp3s
    > saved to my hard drive that aren't itunes...does this mean
    > i can't transfer them to an ipod?
    >

    > "Chris Milkosky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > moik,
    > >
    > > Used it with a Windows machine, but I don't think that
    > > will affect the lockups and battery life. If you are not
    > > used to using iTunes, that'll likely annoy the heck out
    > > of you too.
    > >
    > > But, that's just my opinion and my wife's.
    > >
    > > As for toughness by the way - I'd probably recommend
    > > against any mp3 player that uses a (mechanical) drive
    > > vs. a memory card. Less moving parts - less that can
    > > fail. I don't know how much shock an ipod mini can take
    > > before it really screws with the unit. If you do decide
    > > to go with the mini - they have an arm or wristband I
    > > think which would probably be safer for you.. keep in
    > > mind all the problems I had with it though. I wouldn't
    > > recommend it to anyone, but who knows - I may have
    > > received one of a few that has a manufacturing defect.
    > >
    > > If you go with it - I wish you luck.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > [email protected] (moik) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > chris,
    > > >
    > > > thanks for your input. i have already ordered a green
    > > > ipod mini - but i just checked and i see i can still
    > > > cancel it. maybe i will. i'm afraid of breaking the
    > > > damn thing - but when you mention 2 hr battery life
    > > > and locking up, etc., that really makes me think
    > > > twice. are you sing it w a mac or a windows machine?
    > > > i'll be using it with a mac, if that makes a
    > > > difference.
    > > >
    > > > btw - this morning i dropped my *second* rio s35s and
    > > > i think i half broke it. i think the volume control is
    > > > broken. the rio looks pretty sturdy but it is a piece
    > > > of crap. i fell out of my gym bag onto a wooden
    > > > kitchen floor - about a three foot fall! ive had this
    > > > one for two months!
    > > >
    > > > moik
    > > >
    > > > [email protected] (Chris Milkosky) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > tough

    > s35s.
    > times
    > the
    > and

    > it

  17. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    > It will move any mp3 not just the ones purchased from the
    > Apple site.

    that's exactly what i wanted to know... thx!!

  18. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    > Blond?

    well, no.. but i have some blond highlights..does that
    count? :p

  19. David

    David Guest

    Although your answered the posters question... the answer
    was not 100% accurate. Yes, an iPod will play Mp3's... but
    iTunes, as well as being an app for moving and organizing
    music files... also allows you to browser and buy tunes from
    Apple. Those files are not Mp3's, they are encoded in AAC
    format (which is arguable better quality than Mp3). THAT
    format is only playable on iPods.