iPod use?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Dale, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Does anyone use an iPod when riding? I'm debating if I should/could when
    riding solo in the hills around my house. I can see the cons of doing
    this, but was trying to get a feel if others ride this way. My
    inclination is to not ride with one. Thanks

    Dale

    Tags:

  2. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    It's illegal to use head phones in some states...

    "Dale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone use an iPod when riding? I'm debating if I should/could when
    > riding solo in the hills around my house. I can see the cons of doing
    > this, but was trying to get a feel if others ride this way. My inclination
    > is to not ride with one. Thanks
    >
    > Dale

  3. Dane Bramage

    Dane Bramage Guest

    If that's your inclination, listen to it. Most people recommend NOT
    using music while they ride.

    Personally, I do listen to music while I ride but at low volume and
    only in quiet areas where I can hear what's going on around me.

  4. Kel

    Kel Guest

    I ride with an MP3 on every ride, less my commute. I always keep it
    low enough to hear what's going on around me. I've never had a
    problem, and it has definitely livened up some longer, flatter rides.

  5. NY Rides

    NY Rides Guest

    Why not get an MP3 player with a built in speaker? I know they are out
    there. That way, you can listen to music and still hear the important
    sounds around you.

    Personally, I'm torn myself about whether to replace my always-drifting
    radio with an iPod or with a CD player with good shock resistance. The iPod
    is a pretty hot item these days and a bicyclist toting one is a fairly easy
    target for anyone who wants to obtain one the most "economical" way.

    Either way, I plan to use a speaker rather than earphones.

    "Kel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I ride with an MP3 on every ride, less my commute. I always keep it
    > low enough to hear what's going on around me. I've never had a
    > problem, and it has definitely livened up some longer, flatter rides.

  6. I use my 1 GB iPod shuffle with a $30 amplified speaker on my daily bicycle
    commutes. And I don't have any regrets about using it, especially when I
    look over and see these huge SUV's with their satellite radio systems, GPS,
    and multiple DVD players inside them! My current setup is actually much
    lighter than my previous Sony Walkman radio. Radio has been ruined by
    companies like Clear Channel who want to ram their rightwing fascist
    political views down our ears! Plus the iPod shuffle holds 250 songs (more
    or less), has a 4 hour battery life, easily plugs into my laptop, offers
    great flexibility for organizing song selections through iTunes, it can also
    be used for downloading Podcasts (like Bikescape), and best of all was only
    $100 at Best Buy!
    > Why not get an MP3 player with a built in speaker? I know they are out
    > there. That way, you can listen to music and still hear the important
    > sounds around you.
    >
    > Personally, I'm torn myself about whether to replace my always-drifting
    > radio with an iPod or with a CD player with good shock resistance. The
    > iPod is a pretty hot item these days and a bicyclist toting one is a
    > fairly easy target for anyone who wants to obtain one the most
    > "economical" way.
    >
    > Either way, I plan to use a speaker rather than earphones.
    >
    > "Kel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I ride with an MP3 on every ride, less my commute. I always keep it
    >> low enough to hear what's going on around me. I've never had a
    >> problem, and it has definitely livened up some longer, flatter rides.

    "Dale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone use an iPod when riding? I'm debating if I should/could when
    > riding solo in the hills around my house. I can see the cons of doing
    > this, but was trying to get a feel if others ride this way. My inclination
    > is to not ride with one. Thanks
    >
    > Dale

  7. PCB

    PCB Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dale <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone use an iPod when riding? I'm debating if I should/could when
    > riding solo in the hills around my house. I can see the cons of doing
    > this, but was trying to get a feel if others ride this way. My
    > inclination is to not ride with one. Thanks

    I would get a flash-based personal audio device rather than a HDD-based
    iPod.

    I use an iAudio G3 by Cowon. I love it because it's small, yet uses the
    AA battery standard. So when it runs out of juice I can pop in a
    freshly-charged spare and keep on going, or even buy a replenishment at
    a mini-mart. It has a lot more options than an ipod, yet you can still
    use it with iTunes (or any computer desktop) via drag-n-drop. Basically
    future-proof. It's currently priced at $100 USD @ Amazon.com for the
    1GB version. You can get any info on them @ www.iaudiophile.net.

    Also, I wear open-ear clip-on headphones, because they stay on better
    than earbuds, but they also allow me to hear traffic better due to the
    looser fit.

    I do also use a rear-view mirror that clips onto my eyewear. I would
    NEVER ride with headphones if I couldn't see approaching vehicles.

  8. I am comfortable using an MP3 player at low volume with an earbud ONLY
    in my right ear.

  9. PCB

    PCB Guest

    Repost.

  10. On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:57:15 -0800, Dale <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone use an iPod when riding? I'm debating if I should/could when
    >riding solo in the hills around my house. I can see the cons of doing
    >this, but was trying to get a feel if others ride this way. My
    >inclination is to not ride with one. Thanks
    >
    >Dale

    I use mine everytime I ride. Just use the earphones with the foam
    overpads and you can the background okay. (although I really question
    whether it is at all useful)

    Also check out Audible.com- they have a great selection of audio
    books.

  11. Papa Tom

    Papa Tom Guest

    I use a SanDisk mp3 player connected to a Radio Shack powered mini speaker.
    It has made riding new and exciting for me again. I prefer not to use
    headphones when cycling...and I'd imagine you are in for a barrage of
    comments regarding the fact that you even IMPLIED that you MIGHT be THINKING
    of doing so!

    news:[email protected]