IR port for Polar 720 question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pat Huber, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Pat Huber

    Pat Huber Guest

    I have recently purchased a 720 and am waiting on
    delivery. A friend who has one says the Polar IR
    unit for data transfer wouldn't work on his home computer
    (Windows 2000), but that the IR port on his laptop (also
    Win2000) worked fine. If anyone out there uses an add-on
    IR port other than the Polar unit I'd like to hear from you.
    I have access to WinXP, 2000, linux/fedora and Mac OS X. -pat

    PS: A USB<-->IR unit would, of course, be preferable.

    Tags:

  2. Gareth Beale

    Gareth Beale Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Pat Huber <[email protected]> writes:
    |> I have recently purchased a 720 and am waiting on
    |> delivery. A friend who has one says the Polar IR
    |> unit for data transfer wouldn't work on his home computer
    |> (Windows 2000), but that the IR port on his laptop (also
    |> Win2000) worked fine. If anyone out there uses an add-on
    |> IR port other than the Polar unit I'd like to hear from you.
    |> I have access to WinXP, 2000, linux/fedora and Mac OS X. -pat
    |>
    |> PS: A USB<-->IR unit would, of course, be preferable.

    I have the USB-IR unit and use it on my laptop just fine. Actually I had the
    opposite problem and couldn't get it to work on the IRDa port on my laptop at
    work. Windows 2000 on both. I do find I have to put the watch right up against
    the IR unit to get it to talk, but that's no big deal to me.

    There was one minor glitch. when I first connected the USB device, Windows was
    unable to find a driver for it, even on the CD. There is a note about this on the
    polar web page, but basically you have to point Windows at the specific directory
    where the Polar software got installed. This of course means you have to install
    the software first.

    Here's the link:

    http://polarusa.com/service_repair/show_faq_con.asp?ID=43

    Best of luck,