IR port for Polar 720 question

Pat Huber

Guest
I have recently purchased a 720 and am waiting on
delivery. A friend who has one says the Polar IR
unit for data transfer wouldn't work on his home computer
(Windows 2000), but that the IR port on his laptop (also
Win2000) worked fine. If anyone out there uses an add-on
IR port other than the Polar unit I'd like to hear from you.
I have access to WinXP, 2000, linux/fedora and Mac OS X. -pat

PS: A USB<-->IR unit would, of course, be preferable.

In article <[email protected]>,
Pat Huber <[email protected]> writes:
|> I have recently purchased a 720 and am waiting on
|> delivery. A friend who has one says the Polar IR
|> unit for data transfer wouldn't work on his home computer
|> (Windows 2000), but that the IR port on his laptop (also
|> Win2000) worked fine. If anyone out there uses an add-on
|> IR port other than the Polar unit I'd like to hear from you.
|> I have access to WinXP, 2000, linux/fedora and Mac OS X. -pat
|>
|> PS: A USB<-->IR unit would, of course, be preferable.

I have the USB-IR unit and use it on my laptop just fine. Actually I had the
opposite problem and couldn't get it to work on the IRDa port on my laptop at
work. Windows 2000 on both. I do find I have to put the watch right up against
the IR unit to get it to talk, but that's no big deal to me.

There was one minor glitch. when I first connected the USB device, Windows was
unable to find a driver for it, even on the CD. There is a note about this on the
polar web page, but basically you have to point Windows at the specific directory
where the Polar software got installed. This of course means you have to install
the software first.

Here's the link:

http://polarusa.com/service_repair/show_faq_con.asp?ID=43

Best of luck,