Iraqi Election Outcome, Yea or nay?

davidmc

Jun 23, 2004
Added Rami Khouri, Arab analyst and editor of Beirut's Daily Star, "The idea that the United States would get a quick, stable, prosperous, pro-American and pro-Israel Iraq has not happened. Most of the neoconservative assumptions about what would happen have proven false."
For now, the United States appears prepared to accept the results — in large part because it has no choice.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6965081/

My take is that, if the candidate that the U.S. wanted to win came in a distant 3rd, and the one who DID win has Iranian ties, I say the people of Iraq have spoken. . . . . . . . pull all our troops out now and bring them home. I don't see what's there to protect.

Start working on more viable energy options other than fossil fuel, because I can see in the not so near future the same anti-American mindset in a steady upward climb.

PseudoTrek said:
My take is that, if the candidate that the U.S. wanted to win came in a distant 3rd, and the one who DID win has Iranian ties, I say the people of Iraq have spoken. . . . . . . . pull all our troops out now and bring them home. I don't see what's there to protect.

Start working on more viable energy options other than fossil fuel, because I can see in the not so near future the same anti-American mindset in a steady upward climb.

This is the whole reason that President Bush's Father did not "Finish the Job." They figured that the Devil you know is better then the one you don’t.

Yeah.

It's kinda hard to 'finish the job' and not be rebuked by the rest of the world. Really finishing the job probably wouldn't be all that pretty. I'm just glad I'm not making decisions on a global basis. :(

US stooge, Allaywi, only got 13% of the vote.

That's the second United States stooge who's been rejected by the Iraqi's (Chalabi wa the first).

PseudoTrek said:

From what I understand, the Shia got 47% of the vote but, if they don't try to incorporate Sunni concerns into the new constitution, their majority will be seen as illegitimate. Many were afraid that the Shia would garner a 2/3 majority & that would be most undesireable.

davidmc said:
From what I understand, the Sunni's got 47% of the vote but, if they don't try to incorporate Shiite concerns into the new constitution, their majority will be seen as illegitimate. Many were afraid that the Sunni's would garner a 2/3 majority & that would be most undesireable
david, you've got your Sunnis and Shiites confused. The Sunnis were the ones with the power under Saddam. What's interesting to me is how well the Kurds fared. Only time will tell how this will all play out. But it's sure to be a long (and unfortunately bloody) time.

Shreklookalike said:
david, you've got your Sunnis and Shiites confused. The Sunnis were the ones with the power under Saddam. What's interesting to me is how well the Kurds fared. Only time will tell how this will all play out. But it's sure to be a long (and unfortunately bloody) time.
Thanks to you & another vigilant poster, I corrected it. And yes, the Kurd's will be pivotal in any & all matters due to the fact that they are sitting on top of a sea of petroleum.

Shreklookalike said:

Kurds want their independence - whether that is part of a federal Iraq, or
a separate entity called Kurdistan, is what needs to be decided.

limerickman said:
Kurds want their independence - whether that is part of a federal Iraq, or
a separate entity called Kurdistan, is what needs to be decided.
I suspect there would be a civil war if the kurds tried to become independent (abscond w/ the oil.) The country was drawn up too broadly in the 1st place. I have thought that the 3 state principle was teneble but then someone would end up being disinfranchised. Now I'm starting to think that a 1 state solution may be the best course. Maybe the league of nations did have it right in the first place. :)