IRC Mythos

moparchris

Apr 13, 2004
hey, im just thinking of buying some of these tyres, im just wondering oif anyone here uses or has used them and what they think.. ill be getting the 2.1" wide ones.

i mostly ride in sand and hardpacked dirt, i head the tyres arent very good in mud but thats not really a concern for me around here

anyone... ???

I don't know if this helps much.

I have the Mythos XC 2.1 that I have had a few years. My only complaint is with turning traction, but I think that is because I am over inflated. I just don't have confidence in some turns with hard pack and loose gravel. I ride the streets to the trails and never bother adjusting tyre pressure. Climbing traction is good and braking seems good. And as far as I can remember I have only flatted once. Oh almost forgot, I have the rear tyre reversed from what IRC recommends. It is much better for climbing.

Blue Thunder said:
I don't know if this helps much.

I have the Mythos XC 2.1 that I have had a few years. My only complaint is with turning traction, but I think that is because I am over inflated. I just don't have confidence in some turns with hard pack and loose gravel. I ride the streets to the trails and never bother adjusting tyre pressure. Climbing traction is good and braking seems good. And as far as I can remember I have only flatted once. Oh almost forgot, I have the rear tyre reversed from what IRC recommends. It is much better for climbing.
ok, cool thanks, also.. i heard the mythos 2.1's are a bit smaller than normal 2.1's what about that ?

I am not so sure about the size differences. I have been alternating between the IRCs and slicks (1.25?) so they seem huge to me. Hopefully someone that has had a chance to compare with something similar will chime in.

I guess the question should be, would I buy them again? I would, but I will probably be looking to try something different, for different sake when the time comes.

well.. i got the tyres, havent put them on yet - mabie tommorow, i havent heard anything else anywhere about reversing the rear tyre...

im pretty happy about the cost of them, i got the front and rear for $80 NZD thats about $50USD

moparchris said:
well.. i got the tyres, havent put them on yet - mabie tommorow, i havent heard anything else anywhere about reversing the rear tyre...

im pretty happy about the cost of them, i got the front and rear for $80 NZD thats about $50USD

hey mopar,

i reckon you'll be pretty happy with them mate. i have a set with the rusty-coloured sidewalls, and run them on my duallie on mainly wet hardpack, gravel, loose rock, slick rock and sand (typical aussie winter riding). like blue thunder, i run the rear one in the reverse rolling direction, and it works really well for climbing traction. i've had no washouts or flats at about 40psi. they have a decent bag and i can't fault them on performance or wear - i'd buy them again.

i have a set of michelin xls tyres on my hardtail, and in comparison to the mythos, i've been surprised by the performance of these. great traction and cornering, but the front is wearing noticably. and they are bit more susceptible to pinch flats than the mythos.

fit the mythos, rear tyre in reverse direction, and enjoy!

cheers,
tt

ps - nz$80 for the pair is a good buy!

i have them. they're actually pretty good. mine have a separate front and rear. make sure you don't mix em up.

they handle well on hardpack.